Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
...... My systems were very inexpensive and really work exceptionally well and that's all I really care about as far as your use of ""unsafe"" really makes me chuckle for sure there most certainly nothing unsafe about my headliting systems

Maybe if you were an oncoming driver you might not be chuckling, or thinking there was nothing unsafe about it........
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
Your conversion blinds oncoming drivers, scatters light everywhere and is generally just a bad idea. It is not that expensive to purchase a pair of HID reflectors to put into existing headlamp housings.

The result is a beautiful headlamp cutoff and all the lighg put where you really need it.

In short HID plug and play bulbs are just on permanent high beam.
you have absolutely zero idea of what your talking about. my lites work perfectly and have never had a oncoming driver flash me in the last 5 years. my system is 100% great ;; R There better ? most likely there are

on a side note you have no idea what convertion I have in the first place
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsharon View Post
Yep, it's physics.
Federal law mandates the maximum height for headlights on motor vehicles. This works OK for cars and Pickup Trucks. But, large vehicles like motorhomes have the driver sitting much higher so the light output by the headlights does not reflect directly back to them. This gives the effect of poor headlight performance. Actual light output is probably right on par for the 55 watt average and 650 lumen output low beam.
Yours may be below par if you have a lot of power loss between your battery and the lights. My Winnebago has a long run to lights from battery requiring a heavy gauge wire to reduce loss.
The HID replacements may offer some improvement for you but many can actually be a glare hazard for oncoming drivers. They can also suffer from power loss due to insufficient wiring. Pick one that is approved for light pattern and alignment for your vehicle...please.
You are so right bobsharon! Having our eyes so far above the lights leaves us with such poor lighting. My wife is from Norway, and I was shocked to see the transport trucks with all the lights above the windshield! Some had 5 or 6 HUGE lights across them! As you may know, they have lots of dark hours in the winter (4 hours of sun in the south in Dec.) so they have discovered that having the lights above your sight line gets rid of all shadows, and gives the best light. They just turn them off if they meet anyone.
As for HID conversions, my brother in law got a fine one day we were there for putting HID bulbs into his headlights when it came with quartz bulbs!
If you really want to see in the dark, get some 100 watt aircraft landing lights, mount them as high as you can. Good for 1/4 mile+ of bright light! We used them lots to replace the high beams in the old quad headlight systems in the 70's. Even the police used them in the highway patrol cars! But that's going down that old memory lane again! Ha Ha!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
As for HID conversions, my brother in law got a fine one day we were there for putting HID bulbs into his headlights when it came with quartz bulbs!
he must have not dimmed them at a oncoming cop in the dead of the night
no way no how any cop would ever know such when driving in day time
plus how would they know he installed them and that he knew what they were?
there is the odd ahole cop in a country of 330 million no doubt but iam a betting person and I bet he had them set high and was pulled for not dimming and thats when the cop found the HID convertion
Old 12-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
you have absolutely zero idea of what your talking about. my lites work perfectly and have never had a oncoming driver flash me in the last 5 years. my system is 100% great ;; R There better ? most likely there are

on a side note you have no idea what convertion I have in the first place
Your response seems a bit on the combative side but regardless of your tone please fill us in on your inexpensive conversion.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Your response seems a bit on the combative side but regardless of your tone please fill us in on your inexpensive conversion.
not combative at all just don't appreciate a poster telling me what I do or don't have or how it works or don't work etc without even knowing what the product is and how its installed and used etc
ALL Class A MH have lousy lighting systems for night driving and everyone knows that.I installed a simple cheap HID convertion and it works for me
FIVE years and never had one driver every flash me for bright lites
so all this hypothesized BS about light glare and deflection in my situation is all BS in my opinion
Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Once again I would ask for more information on this simple cheap HID conversion.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm glad that some folks have had "success" in HID upgrades that are not legal and if they don't blind other drivers I don't care. Pretty simple.

OTOH, I detest passing out bogus information or inferring that the truth isn't relevant. The fact is that slapping in HID bulbs into a non-HID headlight assembly is illegal AND in most cases dangerous to oncoming traffic.

Some folks won't accept those facts and instead label them as BS. Can't fix that...time to move on.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
he must have not dimmed them at a oncoming cop in the dead of the night
no way no how any cop would ever know such when driving in day time
plus how would they know he installed them and that he knew what they were?
there is the odd ahole cop in a country of 330 million no doubt but iam a betting person and I bet he had them set high and was pulled for not dimming and thats when the cop found the HID convertion
select55, it was in Norway and in midday. They have DTRL on everything and I guess the cop knew his Merc. came with Quartz lights. Pretty easy to see they were HID's and they did work really well at night! They were adjusted properly, but maybe gave a little too much light above the cut-off line.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #24

Hi All;

Wow, didn't mean to start a fight. I'm just interested in what you've done to help with the poor lighting that some of us have on our MH's.

Having said that, has anyone had any luck installing LED replacements? I have found some on the internet; direct plug and play replacements for my 9005 and 9006 headlamps.

Thanks in advance.

Maddog
Maddog11capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog11capt View Post
Hi All;

Wow, didn't mean to start a fight. I'm just interested in what you've done to help with the poor lighting that some of us have on our MH's.

Having said that, has anyone had any luck installing LED replacements? I have found some on the internet; direct plug and play replacements for my 9005 and 9006 headlamps.

Thanks in advance.

Maddog
Still illegal.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog11capt View Post
Hi All;

Thanks in advance.

Maddog
Even worse than an PnP HID capsule. LED capsules in a halogen based reflector will have no throw. They will be very bright in short distanced but virtually no long distance illumination.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 AM   #27

Agree about the illegal issue but... HID doubles the lumen output and there are some reflector housings which have a clean light pattern. The housing may have to be realigned. I would suggest choosing HID in the 4300-5000 Kelvin rating as this is white light. Stay away from the Blue color 6000 K, if you ever drive in the moonlight with the blue light it will get washed out. Also if you are buying choose systems from Taiwan as oppose to China better quality. Get the lower rated wattage system the 55 W system may melt your stock housing.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Maddog11capt"......Lighting isn't simple. First off, you really can't/shouldn't put LED or HID bulbs into a standard housing. As mentioned above, the light won't be directed properly and just makes for a white blur.

We really need to know what your headlights look like. For instance, if you have a low beam projection style, round binocular looking lens, LED's and HID's can be added to those, as they direct the light properly. There are lights with a large metal block in front of the bulb and a couple of other styles. We really need to see what you have before any suggestions can be made.

If you just have the standard lens, about the only thing you can do is install a better quality bulb.

Here is a little tip I did on my 05 Diplomat. If you have a dual lens with similar looking (configuration) bulbs, take a close look. The low beam bulb will have a painted tip while the high beam does not. The painted tip stops the bulb from blinding oncoming traffic. The high beam is also higher wattage. The "clocking" of the two bulbs (how their tabs fit in the housing) is different so that they cant be interchanged. I took a Dremel and reworked the high beam tabs so they were the same as the low beam. It gave me additional wattage and my particular lenses already had the metal block, so I didn't need the painted tip of the low beams. They worked well and didn't blind oncoming traffic.

I just a 2016 GMC Canyon as a toad. It came with standard bulbs, but used a projection housing. I changed the low beams to LED and they were a huge improvement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights