Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacing plumbing vents

So last weekend I replaced the plumbing vents on my 2008 Damon Astoria. When I got up there to do the actual work I was a little shocked at what I found, so I decided to take some pictures and show everyone what I found.

Quick prelude, just bought the RV used from previous owner about a month ago. He stored it outside, only covered by the RV cover. Long story short, the top of the thing got really hot and the plumbing vent covers got brittle and started deteriorating. So I did a quick count to see how many I needed to order. Strange, I thought, there were four on top of my MH, and in strange locations. But who am I to question the builder. So I ordered the four (4) vent covers and two tubes of DiCor.

So I get up there this weekend to start the actual work. When I got the first one off, I was amazed to find no plumbing, but a small tear in the TPO roof lining. The vent was exactly the same as the others, so I am guessing it happened at the factor and they decided to cover it up.

The next two were what I would expect, actual plumbing vents protruding through the roof.

And the last one, to my surprise, no tear, no plumbing vent, just a sticker notifying me that there is a satellite pre-wire located here. So why didn't the people that install the satellite know about this, and use this instead? No clue...

So why did Damon feel it was necessary to install these extra vent covers just to cover a label? Anyways just thought I would share some of this weirdness with the group.

And finally one of the newly installed covers.

All that is left in that picture was to fill in the screw holes with a little DiCor and I was done.

Took me all of 30 minutes to replace four old crumbly plumbing vent covers with new ones. With a metal drywall knife and a bottle of mineral spirits (the real stuff, not the fake stuff they are trying to sell now), I was able to get all of the old DiCor off with little trouble.

While I was up there I also used the mineral spirits to clean off all the other roof penetrations and check for cracks in the old DiCor. Found some more around the vents and sun roof, so I cleaned them up good and re-applied some more DiCor.

Only ended up using one tube of DiCor. So the other is now sitting in the tool box for emergencies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, your pics didn't come through.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Photobucket says they were moved or deleted? I'd sure like to see them.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Pics look good to me. Good quality, not good workmanship or maitenance by previous owner.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Updated photo links

Sorry, I moved them to their own album in Photobucket. I guess this breaks the link. Here they are again since I can't edit the original post.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JoelM,

I agree. The previous owner definitely didn't do his homework after he purchased this motorhome. The house batteries had to be replaced because they were bone dry and could not be revived. And he didn't store it very well.

We now store ours in a covered storage unit as we live in a neighborhood. So it stays in a nice clean garage now until we use it.

I am now going back over other things that need maintenance, like generator service, oil, grease the fittings, etc. Lots of work, but worth it to make sure we have something that will last us.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

Put a date on the tube of DiCor, and don't use it if more than 3 years old, keep from freezing in the tube.
Don't ask me why.

Tags
plumbing