Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2023, 07:15 PM   #1

Replacing Sharp 1874 mic/conv oven

Hi all,
My 18 year old Sharp 1874 micro/convection oven hasn’t been performing well so I bought another of the same model. I looked on YouTube for instructions on how to R&R it and ran into a road block. 2 long angled screws removed & unit tilts down, at this point I am stuck, it will not come out.
I’m looking for help, maybe someone else has been thru this before?
Thank you for any help
DonbouvHRNav
donbouvHRNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2023, 07:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Look in the overhead cabinet. There should be a couple of bolts there, maybe under the liner
Old 06-03-2023, 07:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Monaco had a couple screws on the top of the Sharp 1874. They were covered with wood that was stapled in the bottom of the cabinet that it hung from.

I suggest having two people there to remove it as it's pretty heavy.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:13 PM   #4

Dropped a friends MW/Convection oven a couple of months ago - multiple screws hidden behind the front top bezel and across the bottom back found after removing the screws holding the bottom to the oven and swinging it downward.
Was a 2016 Newmar - but would t surprise me similar practice has been in use for some time with other “over the oven” type of MW ovens.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you got the 2 angled bolts removed, and it tilts down, the only thing holding it, is the rear bracket. Raise the back of the microwave up to release it from the bracket. It might take a good tap.

Sometimes awkward for 1 person.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:26 PM   #6

I've installed appliances for a living for decades, and a couple years ago I was called out to a campground to change out a Sharp microwave in a Class A. In a regular home, they have a couple of quarter inch bolts coming down through the top, but this one had a facade above held with velcro, then there was a bracket fastened to the microwave and about four or five screws that had to be removed. As others said, you should have two people there, as once it tilts down it needs to be lifted up slightly to be removed from the bottom tabs on the mounting bracket. I've developed a trick method where I lay a board across the cooktop, with padding underneath, put a milk crate on that, then tilt the microwave down onto the milk crate. Then I can pivot it up off the bracket and remove it by myself. Just be aware that when you remove the upper screws, it's going to tilt down, so be ready.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
If you got the 2 angled bolts removed, and it tilts down, the only thing holding it, is the rear bracket. Raise the back of the microwave up to release it from the bracket. It might take a good tap.

Sharp microwaves were not to be intended to be mounted only with those long angled screws. They always had two quarter inch bolts through the top, or with a motorhome sometimes they jury rigged it with a bracket that screws into another bracket fastened to the ceiling. If you only have those two angled screws going through from the bottom, then as you're driving down the road the microwave is not supported correctly. It really was designed to use those screws to initially fasten it to the bracket, then you put the other two bolts through the top to finish the install, and make it totally secure.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:16 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post

I agree!

If the front has lowered down, you likely don't have anymore screws.

Just need to lift the back 1/4" off the bracket.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I agree!

If the front has lowered down, you likely don't have anymore screws.

Just need to lift the back 1/4" off the bracket.
On my Horizon, Winnebago put two screws through the bracket and into the MW case to help secure it and keep rattles & squeaks away. Check for these screws, if they are there they must be removed or the MW won’t lift off the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBC612E9-8EF2-4D16-8511-DFC4A9F1A0D1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	394455  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:00 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First time I've seen / heard of that!
Old 06-04-2023, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
First time I've seen / heard of that!
Those screws were always in the Sharp install package, but many installers never put them in, so yours may have not had them. The MAIN point is that it MUST have the two bolts on top, or a bracket fastened securely to the ceiling, so all that weight is not cantilevered on the wall alone. I know that's how some MH makers did it, but you're just asking for trouble if so.

Check out the instructions:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharp Install copy.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	394460  

Tags
oven