Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 05:53 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Replacing Sofa w/Recliners in MH... Thoughts

Contemplating doing some changes in the DP. I have upgraded all the lighting to LED and replaced all the TV's to Smart HD TV, a few other things. After living in the coach for 5 months we discovered we missed our recliners. Our coach has a Lg Sofa sleeper on Drivers slide and opposing side has new recliner and small table. (That side is not really large enough for the passenger Chair, table, new Recliner and any thing else.) We do rotate the passenger chair and use footrest but that just is not as comfortable as a swivel rocker recliner as the other one. We had the idea of taking out the large sofa and putting matching leather recliners over there with a table/lamp in between. We could then use the opposing area to put a drop down TV console. I guess one concern is down the road in a few years if reselling the DP would hurt us if it did not have a Queen Sofa Sleeper in it? DW says, we never sleep out there any way. Also kicked around the idea of having a wood flooring put in it.

Thoughts...
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We pulled the sofa bed out and replaced it with two recliners. Ours was not a large sofa but the two recliners fit easily in the same space. We are so happy we made the change. I also added a TV right across from the recliner. They ride fine I just push them back a little when we put the slide in and we set up I pull them back out. We do not full time so we had room in the back of the basement in the S&B to set the sleep sofa back up. If we sell the motor home I can reinstall it in less than an hour.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bye-Bye park bench

The Jackknife sofa in our 2016 Bounder was as hard as a park bench, could never get comfortable watching TV.
So it was torn apart to get it out the door (had to destroy the 90-degree corner section since the doorway is only 26 inches wide, and no way was the windshield removal an option).
Replaced the sofa with an Ashley loveseat with power headrests and footrests. Plenty of room for a new end table too. Very nice in the Bounder now.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #4

We replaced ours with Fjords recliners. I save the removed furniture for when/if we sell the coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #5

There are others who have made that choice. It is your home and you should be comfortable, especially if you foresee owning this. Is he for years. If you have a place to store the original sofa, take pictures of rig with sofa in place, the store sofa in hopes of preserving resale value (you can post pictures of both seating options ). If no storage place, sell the sofa and deal with resale when the time comes. As you know, plenty of couples like you travel in Motorhomes and may not feel the need for a sleeper sofa; those may be your best resale audience with recliners. Or somebody attracted to other aspects of your coach may buy it the find their own sofa.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	recliners.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	150165 This is a photo of what we did.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

Replacing Sofa w/Recliners in MH... Thoughts

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485555568.330481.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	150198
Got rid of our POS sofa/bed

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #8

Been thinking of doing this same thing. I like the pictures.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Large Recliners are not the only answer

Actually we removed a European style recliner and foot stool from our MH and installed a end table and lamp in its place. Our MH already had a 42" TV across from the Sofa bed which btw is very confortable. So, our solution was to purchase two folding cubes from big lots. We use them for foot stools. They also provide an area for storing pillows, blankets and stuff. Just place them on the sofa when traveling. It's a cheap fix and we still have sleeping for kids and grand kids.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr2000 View Post
Attachment 150198
Got rid of our POS sofa/bed

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Where did you get the recliners at and please tell me they are under 66 inches wide, having trouble finding a setup like that locally.
kawchop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #11

I believe mine were, with center console, 67" wide. Bought at the Hershey RV show last September, installed by Campers Inn.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I pulled the sofa/sleeper and Euro chair to put in a LazyBoy Console with recliners. I also put in a 14" table.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We got rid of our sleeper sofa and replaced it with this leather reclining love seat. We were going to get a Lazy Boy but saw these at Countryside RV Interiors in Junction City, Oregon. When we get set up, we pull it out a bit so we can easily watch the TV over the dash.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #14

Are they comfortable, are they wall hugging, is the operating handle on the side, and do you guys have a brand name as I'm not finding much on them but I think they would work for us. Thanks for any info as our sleeper sofa is shot and it's just the 2 of us and they would be perfect as I'm putting a fireplace/flat screen tv combo behind the passenger seat.
kawchop is online now   Reply With Quote