Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #15

For the converter to work properly it is important that the 12v output wire is heavy enough to handle the flow to the batteries. The instructions should give what is required. I use the heaviest wire, usually 4ga, I can get in the converter wire sockets. I run them direct to the battery bank.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwhela View Post
I have a Paralax 7445 in my 2003 Adventurer. Is there an advantage of moving from a 45 amp to 55 or 60? What do I gain or loose? I am pretty much a converter/charger dummy with a converter that is old but still working.
I replaced my 7445 with a IOTA 55, I have a 6 AWG wire so that is key. SO far everything seems to work but I have yet to really test it out, plus I have a 400 Watts Solar system.
bproulx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #17

As Jauguston said. The wire from your converter to the battery will be the limiting factor. I went from a 45 amp to a PD 4655 and it worked ok but to get as many amps into the battery as quickly as possible I also went from 6 g to 4 gauge cable. If you are doing normal charging and not doing all your charging with a generator you will be fine with 6 g. There is not a problem using a gen and 6 gauge, it's just that as I build I want to minimize gen run time so I want to minimize voltage drop. Ideally the converter would be mounted next to the batteries to keep the voltage drop low but it's not practical. Three things about voltage drop- length of conductor, size of conductor and to a lesser degree temperature of the conductor.
rjxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter