Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Replacing tires

Need to replace my Michelin’ 235/80r/22.5 tires and the only thing available at this time are sumo moto (spelling) 245/75r/22.5 or Cooper Roadmaster RM 272 which are 255/70r/22.5. Need to know the good and bad also will they interchange without an issue? Motor home is a 2008 south wind 37 c.
RandD Hopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Main issue is clearance and load-carrying capacity.

You can look up the specs for your Michelins (diameter and width as well as load range). Then you can find online calculators that will tell you the diameter, width for different sizes of tires. You need to stay very close to what you have to avoid interference. And NEVER go to a lower load range tire.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

I am very happy with the Coopers I put on last year. We put about 10K miles on them and are very satisfied.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #4

Are they the RM 272 and the same dimensions? They are an h load rating and the Michelin ones are a g. So should be good that way. They are about an 1/2 in smaller in diameter and just a bit wider. But looking at the ones on there now there is lots of space between the tires
Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandD Hopey View Post
Need to replace my Michelin’ 235/80r/22.5 tires and the only thing available at this time are sumo moto (spelling) 245/75r/22.5 or Cooper Roadmaster RM 272 which are 255/70r/22.5. Need to know the good and bad also will they interchange without an issue? Motor home is a 2008 south wind 37 c.
RanD,
Well, if you take a look at the link below, you can compare tire sizes to your 235's. The subject hanging with Michelins or, changing to a much cheaper brand , any brand, that does the same job, handles the coaches weight and all that, has been discussed just a few times on here. Base on all the threads I've read on this and other RV forums, the majority migrate away from the Michelins for various reasons, mainly cost. I just did it a few months ago. Michelin is proprietary for the 255 80 22.5". Meaning, if you don't know, THEY'RE the only ones that make that size. So, for folks needing replacements, and don't know how to compare tire size, they simply pay the high price and, load up another set of expensive Michelins.

But, I used the tire comparison site and found the 265 75 22.5 Yokohama RY 103 to be an almost exact replacement of our junk Michelins. And the cost was seriously lower than what the Michelins were gonna be. So, yep, look around and do your shopping. You'll come up with tires that will work just fine in place of those Michelins.
Scott

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #6

I think you probably meant "Sumitomo" and they are a very good tire. The Sumitomo ST718 in the 245/75R-22.5 size is about the closest size you can get to the Michelins and what a lot of motorhome owners use to replace the Michelin 235/80R-22.5.

The Sumitomo ST718, just like the Michelin XRV, is also a commercial all position 14-ply load range G tire but costing significantly less than the Michelins.

Also good are the Toyo M154 and the Yokohama RY103 (as Scott mentioned) in that same 245/75R-22.5 size. However, the best bargain probably will be the Sumitomos. The Sumitomo ST718 should be priced the lowest of all and you're still getting an excellent tire from a Japanese-branded name ...which are my favorite, those three brands, i.e Toyo, Sumitomo, and Yokohama. I also like Hankook from a South Korean manufacturer.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the Sumitomo 245/75R22.5 is a fine tire and I would have no reservations at all about it.

However, I wonder why your choice is so limited? Many of the major tire companies make the 245/75R22.5 size. Goodyear, Toyo, Bridgestone/Firestone, Yokohoma, to name a few, and all excellent tires.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #8

Must have been a real need for replacement tires here in AB Canada as those were the only two that immediately available. I had asked about the Toyo as that is what I run on my vehicles and they were sold out and not available I am having the Sumitomo’s installed tomorrow as we have a trip planned for the weekend.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Have you considered buying Michelins through the FMCA Michelin Advantage program?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandD Hopey View Post
Must have been a real need for replacement tires here in AB Canada as those were the only two that immediately available. I had asked about the Toyo as that is what I run on my vehicles and they were sold out and not available I am having the Sumitomo’s installed tomorrow as we have a trip planned for the weekend.
I think you made a good decision. I don't think you can go too wrong with Sumitomos. As I mentioned previously, they are a bargain compared to Toyo and especially compared to Michelins. Michelins will cost a lot more regardless of where purchased.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires