Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
Having had a convection cook top in my house, I would never want one again.
We're not talking about convection, but induction. If that was what you had, what did you not like about it?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
All electric is getting more popular in motor homes. The Travel Supreme Select coaches were all electric.
I've had both induction and propane (both the old 3-burner propane and now the larger 2-burner Kitchen Aid. The induction cooktop may have some advantages, but conserving electricity is not one of them.
I prefer the new Kitchen Aid 2-burner propane cooktop over all the others. It has the electric pilot and lights instantly. As long as your propane cooktop is set correctly and you are getting a blue flame, it is producing little to no carbon monoxide. It will boil a pot of water faster than anything else I've used or just simmer something perfectly. I also love my gas grill and need that propane tank to connect it to. But if induction works for you, go for it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Is your inverter large enough to handle the 2400 watts (max) plus whatever else you may be powering?
3000 watt PSW inverter and 4-8D 12 volt batteries. Could add a second 3000 watt inverter and two more batteries. 12.5 Onan gen and 400 watts solar with room to add at least 4 more panels
The Princess cooktop I took out was gas and had 12 volt ignition wired to the house batteries.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Stan, this is what we did. We love it!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/induc...ed-274209.html

A very clean installation....congrats!!!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have induction in my s&b and I love it. We were just at a rental in OBX that had a regular electric cooktop and it was dreadful to cook on. Induction heats so fast, the temp is so easy to control and it cools so much quicker than electric. Don't have to worry about heating up the kitchen either as it doesn't get hot like sealed electric did.

As for convection, I love my convection oven and my air fryer. Less oil, quicker cooking times and crispier outcomes.

Can't wait to get our electrified coach!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, the job Davis did on the installation of the cook top looks exactly like the way they installed ours. Hope you like your as much as we like ours. You will fin d that occasionally it will trip the GFI breaker for the plug that your dishwasher uses. No big deal has happened to us about 4 times in 3 years.

We have found that the invertor just won't run it, so we are either plugged in or use the generator when cooking.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Induction cooktops are a rage in some circles.

Much rather have gas myself.

I cook with gas at home but the propane burners don’t get nearly as hot as my stove at home where I have 9000, 15000, and 25000 BTU burners. I have a countertop induction burner that I use in the motorhome and would love to swap my propane cooktop for induction.
Vlunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #22

If you like cooking with induction then go for it. We bought a countertop version and while it was OK, we didn't fall in love with it. I found the temperature control at lower settings wasn't very precise. There is something about seeing a flame. I suggest you cook on one for awhile before making a permanent switch.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
If you like cooking with induction then go for it. We bought a countertop version and while it was OK, we didn't fall in love with it. I found the temperature control at lower settings wasn't very precise. There is something about seeing a flame. I suggest you cook on one for awhile before making a permanent switch.

Thanks for your thoughts. We have been using the countertop induction burner since January and I really like it a lot. I have only used the propane cooktop a couple of times and didn’t enjoy it at all , although I love my gas range top at home.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #24

I removed our three burner propane cooktop and installed a Tru-Induction built in cooktop. Looks just like a factory job. We were on a six month trip before I did the install and used a portable induction unit almost exclusively. Induction is so quick and doesn’t heat up the coach, also power is included most places we stay so why pay for propane?
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I removed our three burner propane cooktop and installed a Tru-Induction built in cooktop. Looks just like a factory job. We were on a six month trip before I did the install and used a portable induction unit almost exclusively. Induction is so quick and doesn’t heat up the coach, also power is included most places we stay so why pay for propane?

Exactly! And cooking on a propane cooktop is nothing like cooking on a commercial-type residential natural gas range like the Blue Star one I have at home. Of course, nothing else comes close, either, but my little induction burner does a much better job for me than the propane cooktop.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #26

We had to use our gas cook top a couple of weeks ago when our Microwave went out. we never use it. I have been looking into the Induction cook top.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Induction cooktops are a rage in some circles.

Much rather have gas myself.
+1

In our BM home we switched to an induction from a regular electric cooktop. I don't think we'd like to give up gas in the RV. It's so nice to fire up the cooktop without firing up the generator when bookdocking.

Rob
Old 10-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
+1

In our BM home we switched to an induction from a regular electric cooktop. I don't think we'd like to give up gas in the RV. It's so nice to fire up the cooktop without firing up the generator when bookdocking.

Rob

Yes, there is that!

Tags
electric, propane