Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #29
Decrepit Forum Advocate


 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Isn't an 'Air Endorsement' required if the vehicle is so equipped ? Weight or length has no bearing here in Canada for private coaches BUT 'Air Endorsement' is.
Interesting. So the Canadian government sets the requirements and not the individual provinces?

But no, California does not require an air brake test for 40-45' housecars --or any housecar, i.e. motorhome, for that matter. An applicant may be required to demonstrate the brake system is working during the "vehicle safety check" when being tested but it requires only a rudimentary understanding of the air brake system. No endorsement or restriction-removal is required for non-commercial drivers.

This is in contrast to a CDL applicant who must have all air brake restrictions removed if operating a commercial vehicle with air brakes. This will require passing tests to be properly endorsed. But this is not required to drive a non-commercial 40'-45' housecar.

Other states that have a non-commercial drivers license requirement of their residents to operate a vehicle of 26,001 lb GVWR or over may or may not have an air brake testing requirement for applicants of non-commercial drivers license. Those states that do are most likely properly assuming that a vehicle of 26,001 lbs GVWR typically will have air brakes and if driving such a vehicle, a driver should be tested on their knowledge of an air brake system.

Again, as I've said this before, I believe non-commercial licensing should be standardized so each state has the same minimum requirements of their residents similar to how the CDLs are issued. However, I realize that this will not happen.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Petesflhtk's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Interesting. So the Canadian government sets the requirements and not the individual provinces?

But no, California does not require an air brake test for 40-45' housecars --or any housecar, i.e. motorhome, for that matter. An applicant may be required to demonstrate the brake system is working during the "vehicle safety check" when being tested but it requires only a rudimentary understanding of the air brake system. No endorsement or restriction-removal is required for non-commercial drivers.

This is in contrast to a CDL applicant who must have all air brake restrictions removed if operating a commercial vehicle with air brakes. This will require passing tests to be properly endorsed. But this is not required to drive a non-commercial 40'-45' housecar.

Other states that have a non-commercial drivers license requirement of their residents to operate a vehicle of 26,001 lb GVWR or over may or may not have an air brake testing requirement for applicants of non-commercial drivers license. Those states that do are most likely properly assuming that a vehicle of 26,001 lbs GVWR typically will have air brakes and if driving such a vehicle, a driver should be tested on their knowledge of an air brake system.

Again, as I've said this before, I believe non-commercial licensing should be standardized so each state has the same minimum requirements of their residents similar to how the CDLs are issued. However, I realize that this will not happen.
Yes, the province, in our case up north here, sets the requirements for licensing requirements but they are all fairly similar, an air endorsement is required in all provinces...

I find it surprising that someone could head out with out a 1/2 decent understanding of the air brake system and for that matter, if there MH is even equipped with such..
__________________
2002 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD,
'94 Jeep Wrangler,
2016 RK,'72 FX
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:49 AM   #31
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NY State
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Yes, the province, in our case up north here, sets the requirements for licensing requirements but they are all fairly similar, an air endorsement is required in all provinces...

I find it surprising that someone could head out with out a 1/2 decent understanding of the air brake system and for that matter, if there MH is even equipped with such..
Some US states--CT and FL, at least--have *no* additional licensing requirements for motorhomes of any size or weight, or for air bag suspension or air brakes. NY (a border state for two of your provinces!) requires a near-worthless "R" endorsement with only a road test and no knowledge test. No written test, no knowledge questions during the road test. I was genuinely surprised to learn this. So was the CT dealership where we bought the coach. Neither of us realized our test drive was actually illegal at the time.
__________________
John
1976 Southwind 28', '96 Winnie 34WK,
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:19 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vail, Arizona
Posts: 1,986
So I have an Arizona driver license. This state does not require anything special to operate a 45 foot 55,000 pound motor home. Can I legally drive it into California and back home to Arizona?
Thanks
Bill
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger (KI1Z)
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2> ‘21 LA 4551 K3
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:28 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 18,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
So I have an Arizona driver license. This state does not require anything special to operate a 45 foot 55,000 pound motor home. Can I legally drive it into California and back home to Arizona?
Thanks
Bill
YES....

The only thing you would have to comply with is total length...MH & Toad is under 65'
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vail, Arizona
Posts: 1,986
Thanks! I have a 2 door Jeep and think it’s 15 feet plus about 5 feet for the tow bar, so probably OK.? I’ll measure.

Bill
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger (KI1Z)
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2> ‘21 LA 4551 K3
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: So Cal Wine Country
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Thanks! I have a 2 door Jeep and think it’s 15 feet plus about 5 feet for the tow bar, so probably OK.? I’ll measure.

Bill
45 foot coaches towing jeeps, pickups, trailers etc. are common in California. You’ll be fine.
__________________
Bill
2014 Newmar Ventana 4037, XCR Tag Axle, Cummins ISL, All-electric
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
So I have an Arizona driver license. This state does not require anything special to operate a 45 foot 55,000 pound motor home. Can I legally drive it into California and back home to Arizona?
Thanks
Bill



Yes, if you hold the proper license in your home state, RECIPROCITY says it is honored in all other states.


As posted, you do have to follow the rules/statutes of each state-- things like speed limit, GVWR on some secondary roads, length restrictions, etc.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
california



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Required Drivers License-California ButchT Entegra Owner's Forum 38 04-03-2018 12:26 PM
CONSEQUENCES OF STATE DRIVERS LICENSES AS NATIONAL ID RVrs R US Full-Timers 27 05-08-2009 03:55 PM
RVDA (ont) makes little headway on licenses The Shadow Canada Region 27 06-24-2008 06:11 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.