Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #1

Required Licenses for California

I'm in the process of purchasing a 37' pusher, the dealer is ensuring me that there is no special license requirement but the more I read anything over 26,000 requires special endorsements. If there is a special license requirement and I don't hold the license required, can I still get insurance or complete the registration? I'm sure scheduling a road test during the pandemic is a nightmare. Thanks for any guidance.
JShaver11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #2

You are fine as long as it's not over 40'
My understanding is 26k limit is for other vehicles not RV.

Something else I learned last year, if you buy out of state and register in CA smog check is not required. I purchased '17 Forza in FL drove it back to CA and registered it here.
bobca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Other than a regular license only if over 40'.

The CA DMV web site wording is confusing as to the weight topic. Its not applicable to you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #4

Re read the California law.
Specifically housecar up to 40 needs a Class C license

Just know in many states there is no exemption and the weight limit applies but your state's law is honored in other states.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Re read the California law.
Specifically housecar up to 40 needs a Class C license

Just know in many states there is no exemption and the weight limit applies but your state's law is honored in other states.
The CA DMV website is very confusing, it states the following:

With a Basic Class C license:
A 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.
A 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. gross or less.
A motorized scooter.
Any housecar 40’or less.
A farmer or employee of a farmer may also drive:
Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire.

I'm over the 2-axle vehicle GVWR but under the 40' requirement. Is there something that says if you meet one of those requirements, you are legal? Thanks again for the help. I'm just the kind of person that likes to carry proof in case there is an incident.
JShaver11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShaver11 View Post

A motorized scooter.
Any housecar 40’or less.
Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire.

I'm over the 2-axle vehicle GVWR but under the 40' requirement. Is there something that says if you meet one of those requirements, you are legal? Thanks again for the help. I'm just the kind of person that likes to carry proof in case there is an incident.
This a list. If you fit into any one of these your golden.
Your trying to put multiple sentences together. I you think about it that is not possible

If you are not sure then just call a local CHP office and ask.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:

A motorized scooter.
Any housecar 40’or less.

“Any house car” supercedes all other limits because it’s the only one that is an identified vehicle type,, outside of motorized scooter,all other limits are categories. It is limited only by length.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobca1 View Post
You are fine as long as it's not over 40'
My understanding is 26k limit is for other vehicles not RV.

Something else I learned last year, if you buy out of state and register in CA smog check is not required. I purchased '17 Forza in FL drove it back to CA and registered it here.
This is not what we experienced. We picked up our coach January 31 of this year in Montgomery.
Just went to the DMV 3 weeks ago and in addition to a crap ton of money we must provide a "verification of vehicle" (not completed by the owner) and a smog certificate.
Perhaps because the coach had been previously registered there was no smog requirement.
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocats View Post
This is not what we experienced. We picked up our coach January 31 of this year in Montgomery.
Just went to the DMV 3 weeks ago and in addition to a crap ton of money we must provide a "verification of vehicle" (not completed by the owner) and a smog certificate.
Perhaps because the coach had been previously registered there was no smog requirement.
Same here....

I bought my Class A from a private party in AZ, registered it here in SoCal two weeks later..

I needed to pay sales tax, registration fees, and get a smog test to complete the CA registration...
Old 07-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #10

Diesel motorhomes over 15k lbs. (weight is from memory but I think it’s correct) are exempt from smog check in Ca., gassers are not. You need a VIN verification by an approved authority (AAA will work) and pay use tax, reg. and license fees. Done it several times.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #11

We decided to stay out of California. We liked Temecula, San Diego, Morgan Hill, and Mt. Shasta. Too expensive, hostile police, and rude threatening people if you don't agree with their politics. An example was at a campground we were asked our opinion on a subject. We gave it, and were harassed until we left.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Diesel motorhomes over 15k lbs. (weight is from memory but I think it’s correct) are exempt from smog check in Ca., gassers are not. You need a VIN verification by an approved authority (AAA will work) and pay use tax, reg. and license fees. Done it several times.
Unless it’s changed since 2014 when I registered my motorhome, the weight break is 26001 lbs.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #13

By law you are to have CDL's for anything weighing over 26k. They never enforce it in motor homes. Don't let anyone tell you different. My brother is a DOT inspector for the state of Maryland and that is a federal law. From everyone I see driving, if you can see over the steering wheel your ok.
Quote:
I'm in the process of purchasing a 37' pusher, the dealer is ensuring me that there is no special license requirement but the more I read anything over 26,000 requires special endorsements. If there is a special license requirement and I don't hold the license required, can I still get insurance or complete the registration? I'm sure scheduling a road test during the pandemic is a nightmare. Thanks for any guidance.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #14

Hi All, Sorry for confusion I should have said no smog needed for *diesel* in CA. Since OP was asking about DP I didn't mention in my response. RV is considered a truck I guess, unless your getting driver license then it's a "house car"

Diesel Smog Test Exemption: The DMV does not require a California emission inspection (smog check) for the following types of vehicles:

Any diesel car or diesel pickup truck which is 1997 model year or older.

Any diesel truck which weights over 14,000 GVWR.
bobca1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california