Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Residential fridge 110v or inverter

We are looking at buying a new motorhome. We would like a residential refrigerator. The sales person told us not to get a residential fridge because we would need more batteries in the system to run it. Could I forgo the inverter and batteries and just plug it into a 110v and run the generator if we are not plugged in to shore power for a few hours? We don't boon dock and only travel 4 to 5 hrs. a day before we pull in for the night. If its hot out we run the generator so we can use the house air to keep the coach cool.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Yes you could forgo the inverter and batteries, and just run the genset .
Residential fridge should hold the cold for 2>3 hours; with no power; unless the coach is very hot. In that case like you say you'll be running the roof A/Cs.

JMHO: Sounds like the salesman was trying to get you to buy a unit he had in stock rather than factory order what you want.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Hi,
Not sure what coaches you've been looking at but most are already going to have an inverter and enough batteries. 2 ea. 6V. is ample, and just driving keeps those up to snuff.
The residential fridges are so well insulated that leaving the doors closed for a few hrs. even with no power (should it happen?) has little effect. Go for it. We opted for the no exterior dispensers for that reason. We really, really like the change.
Perhaps a different salesperson would be a better choice. IMO
Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Agree--think he is trying to sell you something he wants, not what you want. We have had a resid. fridge for 13 years--don't dry camp much so it works fine for us. Bottom line is: a resid. fridge doesn't use that much power to begin with. Second, an inverter and a couple of 6-volt battery [in series to provide 12volts], is a really good feature to have in a MH--especially if you plan to full-time. Think I would find another salesman--quick!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Agree--think he is trying to sell you something he wants, not what you want. We have had a resid. fridge for 13 years--don't dry camp much so it works fine for us. Bottom line is: a resid. fridge doesn't use that much power to begin with. Second, an inverter and a couple of 6-volt battery [in series to provide 12volts], is a really good feature to have in a MH--especially if you plan to full-time. Think I would find another salesman--quick!
+1 also helps for resale.
I have 6 batteries standard, but 4 batteries would be fine for your needs since you don't boondocks. Running the generator is a little noisy and better the less you need to run it.

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

Run Forest Run to another dealer. I installed a RR Frig 3 years ago and my inverter has been on 100% of the time with 4 6volt batteries. Just did 6 day at the FMCA Rally in Albany boon docking plus heading out this coming weekend for another 5 days BD. Like the idea of not setting the microwave clock all the time and being able to us the slow cooker going down the road.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RR here. Dry camp often. It's not a problem. Much preferred over our two previous coaches with RV gas/electric refrigerator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #8

Get the batteries and inverter.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The salesman is an IDIOT. Get what you want and don't listen to him. We love ours and won't go back to a NoCold
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The residential fridge is the ONLY way to go especially if you have any plans to do the Full-Time RV Lifestyle.

I would also get a Pure Sine Wave Inverter and room for four 6 Volt GC-2 batteries. It will add to the value of your coach and trust me there will be times when you will use it regardless of what you may think today.

It will be more difficult to add the inverter later.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #11

It's interesting looking at the sig lines for the folks telling you how great a residential refrigerator is. The one's I saw were dp's. It you go looking you will also find threads from folks with a C trying to make it through the night with a residential fridge. That puts out the issue of battery capacity. It the unit you are looking at has the extra capacity for a dedicated battery just to run the refrigerator all night and if you have any thoughts of boondocking then go for it. I won't buy a unit with a residential refrigerator because we boondock and we do not have a unit big enough to have a 4 battery slide out tray. I am perfectly capable of adding more batteries to about any RV but I also understand that adding batteries subtracts for space and weight capacity for other things.

I would say the dealer may not be nearly as bad as some folks are trying to paint him. For me a residential refrigerator is a no sale for anything under 30 ft and probably for any gas motor home.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Residential fridges have became a very common option, even in 5th wheel trailers. Usually that option includes an inverter and additional battery capacity. If you are buying a new MH with a factory installed RF, I would be very surprised if it came w/o an inverter and additional batteries.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
We are looking at buying a new motorhome. We would like a residential refrigerator. The sales person told us not to get a residential fridge because we would need more batteries in the system to run it. Could I forgo the inverter and batteries and just plug it into a 110v and run the generator if we are not plugged in to shore power for a few hours? We don't boon dock and only travel 4 to 5 hrs. a day before we pull in for the night. If its hot out we run the generator so we can use the house air to keep the coach cool.
Mody n Domy
You could...but ONLY if the coach maker will custom build a coach for you with a residential refrigerator, without an inverter and without the necessary batteries.

However if they will.... it will most likely cost you a lot more $$ than a coach built correctly.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #14

We've traveled many times 4 to 6 hours without power to the residential fridge except for maybe 30 minutes when we stop for lunch and turn on the genny. It does just fine.

We will never have anything but a residential fridge. We also will never boondock, so except for the traveling part, always have shore power.

Tags
fridge, inverter