Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Residential fridge?

Installed a resindential fridge in my class A. Now, how do I wire in an inverter and a transfer switch? My new fridge pulls .07 amps to 1.08 amps. thanks
jshatzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When asking about something it would help it you posted your coach info, like year, brand, model, and etc.

Looking at your profile I see you have a Dutch Star 41' but not sure what year.

Just as a general help, in the area where your old frig was plugged into AC it is possible that you had two outlets, one for the frig and one for the ice maker. The one for the ice maker should already be wired to the inverter. If it is, just move the plug for the fridge to the socket where the ice maker was plugged in.

If that is not the case, then you will need to either have a wiring diagram for your coach or trace the wiring. You should be able to change where the wiring comes from to the inverter wiring.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #3

Unplug from shore power, no generator on. Turn the inverter on and see what items are powered. In my case it was the Microwave, the two TV's front and rear, why I don't know.
Anyhoo the Microwave sat in a cabinet right next to the Fridge. Turn the inverter off no power to the coach. Dropped a wire from the plug of the microwave down to the fridge cabinet. Installed a new receptacle next to the factory one, and now the Maytag works like a charm on Generator, Shore Power, or the inverter.
That's how I did it.
I also closed off the Fridge vent on top, removed it, stuffed the hole with insulation, course also closed the hole from the inside with a piece of Aluminum and the to one at the top. Caulked it good with Dicor self leveling. Removed the old vent from the side of the coach, used aluminum tape and closed off the holes, removed the frame, installed a 1/4 inch piece of ply wood, cut a circle out of the center for access to the rear of the fridge where I bolted it down to the sub floor.
Installed insulation between the vent and the plywood.
Coach is much easier to heat and cool without those holes in the side and the top.
Ps your inverter that is stock with your newmar should be fine with your fridge, mine is a 2000 watt and has no problems at all.
Hope this helps.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback,but I see not enough info. I have a 2003 DUTCH Star, 41 foot. Where I took the old fridge out there is a 12 volt supply and 110 vlt plug. I'll have to check the ice maker outlet to see if it can be used. Can not find what wattage my inverter is. Chaffeekid, checked my microwave ,not connected to inverter.
jshatzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If peak draw on your new fridge is 1.08 amps, you have no worries re inverter watts. 1.08A x 120v = 130 watts, so hardly any load at all.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

what model is the inverter that is in your coach?
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge