Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEllis View Post
Yes and yes...
You might want to block off that outside vent. There is no reason for it and you are losing heat. Plus less chance of freezing your ice maker line.

Cheers
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
WHY
The RV fridge installer left the original vented panel in place. Never occurred to me to change it. I'll get it sealed up!
Old 03-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #17

Resadential refrigerator is just like your sticks & bricks refer. I have Samsung RF18 in our MH, works great. Never had melted ice nor warm temps in box. Was your inverter on. Could be problem with the refrigerator, should always run even in low temps.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
We took the RV out this weekend and had some 30 degree night time temps. Temps inside the RV were maintained at about 65 degrees with space heaters. We have a Samsung residential fridge installed. In the morning the ice was melting in the freezer and fridge compartment was about 57 degrees. When ambient temps got to about 50, everything returned to normal. I think this is normal performance for a refrigerator compressor?? If so, what do RVers with residential refrigerators do to keep the compressor warm enough to work properly? (I guess I could have used the propane furnaces and cranked up indoor temps to 72+ degrees?)

Thanks for any insights
They all have operating different parameters, usually listed in the owners manual. We didn't do it on purpose, but we lucked into one that operates from 10 to 110 degrees F. I blocked off the outside vent so we don't need it to operate in that range, but its nice to know it can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	277332  
Old 03-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Nope and nope. Inside lights on, doors closed. Side vent is still there and open to the cold air
The side and upper vents should have been sealed and insulated.
It was installed incorrectly.
Easy fix.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #20

Quote:
The RV fridge installer left the original vented panel in place. Never occurred to me to change it. I'll get it sealed up!
Just cover it up inside.

Cool/heat going in out.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have a refrigerator and a chest freezer in my garage at the sticks and bricks. It gets down into the low 50's out there and have never had an issue with either.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #22

make sure both side and top vents are blocked and insulated. I used spray foam on top vent and 2 inch foam on side vent with openings taped with that aluminum duct tape. Your home fridge is not vented to the outside so neither should your rv fridge be either.
Dave
Old 03-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #23

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
We took the RV out this weekend and had some 30 degree night time temps. Temps inside the RV were maintained at about 65 degrees with space heaters. We have a Samsung residential fridge installed. In the morning the ice was melting in the freezer and fridge compartment was about 57 degrees. When ambient temps got to about 50, everything returned to normal. I think this is normal performance for a refrigerator compressor?? If so, what do RVers with residential refrigerators do to keep the compressor warm enough to work properly? (I guess I could have used the propane furnaces and cranked up indoor temps to 72+ degrees?)

Thanks for any insights
Block off or seal (leaving a good air space between the back of the fridge to the material sealing off the existing propane outside vent)
note! don't forget to put a small "trap door" so you can remove the old metal outside vent and reach in to turn off the water line to the ice maker..(don't ask)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #24

One more thing to consider. Sometimes refer's just go bad for one reason or another.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

You should not have the fridge back exposed to outside temperatures, so seal up those sidewall vents and problem will go away. Your residential fridge is designed to cool itself and evaporate condensation by circulating air underneath, up the back, and out again into the interior over the top.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Light bulb

I will run a light bulb (old fashioned non LED) in the outside compartment..no problems. If real cold, I cover some of the outside vents
Old 03-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I have a similar problem, but not to the extent you do. The colder the outside temp, the warmer the refrig/freezer runs. Looking at the "fine print" for my refrig, it says it is not suitable for placement in a garage...thus I deduce the issue is in the design of the refrig, and it is best to seal up all of the exterior vents to reduce the inflow of cool air.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #28

Unheated Beer Fridge Up North...

My 20+ year old "beer fridge" in the unheated garage in WI starts to have problems controlling freezer temperature when the garage gets around 40F. The fridge will maintain 33 to 40F until the garage temperature get below 25 to 30 and then you better bring inside anything that just has water in it as it will get slushy or worse. Anything with a little alcohol in it seems to not freeze unless it gets below 0F in the garage. This weekend after it finally started warmed up above freezing, the fridge started holding 34 to 39 again even though the freezer was up to 42F! During the summer, the freezer and fridge control to about +/- 1F around setpoint.

I would follow the earlier advice given to block the vents that were needed by the replaced absorption fridge. Your installer either didn't know that unblocked vents can cause problems or he thought you are a fair weather camper that stays home when it's cold.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, fridge