Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Residential Fridge-Inverter

I have a 2015 Itasca Meridian with a residential fridge. It also has a 2000 watt inverter. I am going on a trip and am wondering if I can run the fridge off the inverter each day or will I have to run the generator?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

If it was built at the factory, yes. I assume you bought it new, so it will be fine to use.

We never shut off our inverter, I never have to set a clock either.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

Run it on the inverter, all of the time. If your driving, your alternator will keep the batteries charged.

If your camping, without power, run your generator an hour and a half, twice a day.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Your refer will be happy running on the inverter as you go down the road
Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #5

I have been searching this question as well! Does anyone have any idea how long the fridge will run without the generator recharging the batteries? My Bounder has 4 house batteries and a 2000 watt inverter also.
dinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

The general consensus, is 3 to 4 hours a day.

The longer you use the batteries, the longer you will need to run the generator, to charge them. That why many charge at breakfast and again at dinner.

Best advice is to get a battery monitor , to track your usage and recharge amounts.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 AM   #7

What's the reasoning of leaving an inverter on all the time? I have mine on while traveling, but once I reach my destination and plug into shore power, I turn it off.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 AM   #8

Installed a Residential fridge in our MH also re-wired the outlet to run off the inverter, generator and shore power. The fridge was happy all last year running on the inverter when the generator was not needed. Also happy when the genny was running and we were using the ac units.
Love the residential fridge!
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #9

Ramets,

The only reason to leave it on, is so it is not forgotten and left off, when you travel.

A simple way to wire an inverter is to dedicate it to the refrigerator, with no transfer switch. In that case it must be on.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoc View Post
I have been searching this question as well! Does anyone have any idea how long the fridge will run without the generator recharging the batteries? My Bounder has 4 house batteries and a 2000 watt inverter also.

If your batteries are fully charged, with the frig being the only draw, about 8-9 hours. Each vehicle will be a little different, the only tool required to test your system is time.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
What's the reasoning of leaving an inverter on all the time? I have mine on while traveling, but once I reach my destination and plug into shore power, I turn it off.
The inverter goes into standby when shore power is connected. Leaving it on all the time is a fail safe method of forgetting to turn it on when disconnected from shore power. This is for those the residential refrigerators, not gas.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #12

Thanks for all the quick replies. The only reason why I wondered how long was in case I am sleeping somewhere that I would prefer not to have the generator running.
dinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone's setup and draw are different. You really need to test your own system to find out how long the refer will run. I have 4 L-16 batteries and I have gone over 12 hours so far and can go longer but all I wanted was at least 8 hours so I didn't test any longer.
Having an automatic generator start system can be very useful to keep the batteries from going dead.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #14

Help? Norcold refrig died. Bought the residential Samsung to replace it and now I can't find the posts from others that have done this. Can you help?
bob potter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter