Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so all elect... love it , or hate it
hate it 22 9.95%
love it 185 83.71%
don't understand it 12 5.43%
just use an ice chest to camp 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #211

Papa, if you read back through this thread. You will see that even those with propane frigs are starting their gennys twice a day.

That's what I don't understand about the debate. They say it a waste and stupid to do what they are already doing.

I keep reading, hoping somebody will clarify the hypocrisy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #212

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Papa, if you read back through this thread. You will see that even those with propane frigs are starting their gennys twice a day.

That's what I don't understand about the debate. They say it a waste and stupid to do what they are already doing.

You are correct. My generator will be pulling at least two, if not all three AC's, at a couple venues. It will run up to 128 hours straight, only stopping long enough to check the oil.

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #213

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

You're pretty much right about that. Example: Glacier NP and where you're allowed to run your genset 3 times a day for two hours. Most had them going during those times and pretty sure most everyone had a propane fridge as well, some years ago. They were either making coffee and toast, running the microwave for dinner or heating up leftovers with the microwave. If AC is ever needed there, then that too.
Keeping the batteries charged, was just an added benefit actually.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #214

Why is it a simple like it or hate it post brings the engineers out of the woodwork.:/
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #215

Quote:

To clarify, some are running their genset and some are not. If they are they are not running long enough to fully charge the batteries. What they are doing is getting 120 AC long enough to do other things and bulk charging the battery bank in the process. That will not be a full charge. It is also often in smaller units. If you read closely you will also find a mix of folks with big battery banks and solar feeding the refrigerator while others are running on two deep cycle batteries and whatever generator and driving time they get.

Those very different conditions dictate very different responses. They also represent very different cost outlays to get the system they have. That is why neither answer is perfect for everybody. The only bad answer is "everybody should do what I do".
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
Why is it a simple like it or hate it post brings the engineers out of the woodwork.:/
1. OP left out understand but do not want as an option.

2. Assumes it is a rational option for everyone. It's not.

3. Some of the answers clearly have technical problems.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:18 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
To clarify, some are running their genset and some are not. If they are they are not running long enough to fully charge the batteries. What they are doing is getting 120 AC long enough to do other things and bulk charging the battery bank in the process. That will not be a full charge. It is also often in smaller units. If you read closely you will also find a mix of folks with big battery banks and solar feeding the refrigerator while others are running on two deep cycle batteries and whatever generator and driving time they get.

Those very different conditions dictate very different responses. They also represent very different cost outlays to get the system they have. That is why neither answer is perfect for everybody. The only bad answer is "everybody should do what I do".

I understand what they're doing and how long they run their genny. I had a coach that required running the genny for those same things. To say it's silly to have to run a genny in the morning, then say "I choose to run mine, so it's OK" is funny.

My statement doesn't apply to the others that do different.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #218

We are just about to ditch our Nor(not)cold for a residential unit and it seems that this might be the way to go for us. We rarely drycamp and I am encouraged by the reviews from those that already have switched. Thanks for the good input!
Freightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #219

We never had anything but the gas/electric combo so can't compare.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #220

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
We are just about to ditch our Nor(not)cold for a residential unit and it seems that this might be the way to go for us. We rarely drycamp and I am encouraged by the reviews from those that already have switched. Thanks for the good input!
You'll have no regrets. If you install a pure sine wave inverter your food will be a bit safer on long trips in hot weather. Some folks say the newer refrigerators will run on Modified Sine Wave Inverters but I just would not chance it. Beside, pure sine wave inverters have will run anything within their power range. I like the Magnum MS series: Home - Magnum Energy, Inc.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #221

We just purchased a MH with a residential fridge and love it. But we installed a solar panel and two extra batteries to cope with it and after a 5 day trip never needed to use the genny for it at all. And it has an ice maker so delighted with it, loads more room too
Audzatstods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #222

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audzatstods View Post
We just purchased a MH with a residential fridge and love it. But we installed a solar panel and two extra batteries to cope with it and after a 5 day trip never needed to use the genny for it at all. And it has an ice maker so delighted with it, loads more room too

Got pictures??
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #223

I just put four cases of beer in my residential fridge and still have plenty of room for the wife's food and water. It's also dialed in at 34* cause I got to have it cold.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #224

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only problem... We should of switched Sooner. Put in Samsung 197 & Love it. Traveled 350 miles, zbout 6 1/2 hours without genny. Food was still cold, refrig was up to 39 F. Stuff in freezer was still frozen, even the ice cteam. Safe travels.. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge