Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2023, 06:52 AM   #15

I ran my 120 volt fridge, in my cruising boat, on inverter power for 8 years.

Even the few times we stayed at a dock, we didn't transfer to shore power.

A 2000 watt inverter is more then enough for a fridge, we also ran a dorm room microwave on it, along with TVs and phone chargers. You would need more battery capacity to run the micro though.

If you want to use a transfer switch, you just cut the wires going to the fridge outlet, after the breaker, and splice the switch in.

The Xantrex inverter transfer switch is OK but the Magnum model has a juntion box built in.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230117-085110_Chrome.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	384506
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2023, 08:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Thank you for the reply Don.

I read the manual and there is no mention of "pass through power." I sent an email to the Go Wise Power: https://gowisepower.com/

Is there a safe way to test the inverter for pass through power?

Here is my inverter: https://www.amazon.com/Power-TechOn-...88&sr=8-4&th=1

https://gowisepower.com/

I have the standard - 2000 watt pure sine
Based on the specs, it does not have pass thru capability.

It won't hurt it to stay on all the time as long as it has the right airflow clearances.

It will be a bit inefficient and it will put a fairly constant load on the batteries. Keep an eye on the electrolyte level in the batteries and you should be OK as long as you have a decent charger.

And, seal up the existing vents. They are not needed. Leaving them open creates a big air leak in your coach.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:51 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have pretty much the same set up. 2000 watt non switching inverter (Xantrex Prowatt) and a Magic Chef 10 cuft fridge. My prospective -

1. Can I keep the inverter on 24/7? Will this eventually damage the inverter? Unlikely Inverters are pretty durable but why test the durability? Turn it off when not needed.

2. Should I install a small transfer switch to automatically manage shore power and inverter power? Is this necessary? This what I did. Installed a Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch (15 amp rated) as close to the fridge as possible. Uses shore power for the switch over.

3. When my rig is on shore power, will a transfer switch automatically shut down the inverter? Or, does the inverter stay on? Mine will not as the switch is sperate from the inverter. I turn the inverter on when the fridge has food in it otherwise it's off.

4. Would the transfer switch be connected to the fridge breaker in the electrical panel? My switch is in the power cable that feeds the outlet the fridge plugs into. Nothing else is fed power from this branch of the inverter.

5. Assuming I install a transfer switch for the fridge....will any electricity be "backfed" into the breaker panel if the inverter is on? For my set up with the Xantrex switch it's not possible and was high on my list of conditions to avoid.

6. Vents: Should I close-up side wall and roof vents? I sealed the roof and side wall vents.

Installed back in 2017 and still working just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170626_200116.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	384527   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170628_174843.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	384528  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_145652.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	384529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210702_092054.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	384530  

Old 01-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #18

Thanks for the reply Twinboat. It was very helpful.

8 years without a transfer switch and no issues. This is great.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Based on the specs, it does not have pass thru capability.

It won't hurt it to stay on all the time as long as it has the right airflow clearances.

It will be a bit inefficient and it will put a fairly constant load on the batteries. Keep an eye on the electrolyte level in the batteries and you should be OK as long as you have a decent charger.

And, seal up the existing vents. They are not needed. Leaving them open creates a big air leak in your coach.
Thanks for the reply.

You are correct. The inverter manufacturer just emailed me to confirm that Go Wise Power inverters do not have pass through power.

I did read that most residential fridges dissipate heat from the side walls. So, if there isn't enough of a gap on the side walls, then this could cause an issue with the fridge.

Wouldn't closing up the vents make this issue worse?

I'm just thinking out loud...
Old 01-17-2023, 03:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I have pretty much the same set up. 2000 watt non switching inverter (Xantrex Prowatt) and a Magic Chef 10 cuft fridge. My prospective -

1. Can I keep the inverter on 24/7? Will this eventually damage the inverter? Unlikely Inverters are pretty durable but why test the durability? Turn it off when not needed.

2. Should I install a small transfer switch to automatically manage shore power and inverter power? Is this necessary? This what I did. Installed a Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch (15 amp rated) as close to the fridge as possible. Uses shore power for the switch over.

3. When my rig is on shore power, will a transfer switch automatically shut down the inverter? Or, does the inverter stay on? Mine will not as the switch is sperate from the inverter. I turn the inverter on when the fridge has food in it otherwise it's off.

4. Would the transfer switch be connected to the fridge breaker in the electrical panel? My switch is in the power cable that feeds the outlet the fridge plugs into. Nothing else is fed power from this branch of the inverter.

5. Assuming I install a transfer switch for the fridge....will any electricity be "backfed" into the breaker panel if the inverter is on? For my set up with the Xantrex switch it's not possible and was high on my list of conditions to avoid.

6. Vents: Should I close-up side wall and roof vents? I sealed the roof and side wall vents.

Installed back in 2017 and still working just fine.
Thank you for the information and the pics. Extremely helpful.

Does your Magic Chef fridge experience any temperature swings? I've read the not having enough space around the fridge can become an issue. So, I'm still on the fence about keeping the vents closed.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Thanks for the reply.

You are correct. The inverter manufacturer just emailed me to confirm that Go Wise Power inverters do not have pass through power.

I did read that most residential fridges dissipate heat from the side walls. So, if there isn't enough of a gap on the side walls, then this could cause an issue with the fridge.

Wouldn't closing up the vents make this issue worse?

I'm just thinking out loud...
Your existing Dometic refrigerator has a flange that is sealed all the way around at the front. When you remove it, you will see what I mean. The vents in the back and top are completely isolated from the interior of your coach.

Your new residential refrigerator will not be sealed at the front. Leaving the vents open is like having a window open all the time - without an effective screen.

Look at the specs for the refrigerator you are looking at - they will tell you the required clearances. My Samsung RF18 circulates air from the bottom.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Your existing Dometic refrigerator has a flange that is sealed all the way around at the front. When you remove it, you will see what I mean. The vents in the back and top are completely isolated from the interior of your coach.

Your new residential refrigerator will not be sealed at the front. Leaving the vents open is like having a window open all the time - without an effective screen.

Look at the specs for the refrigerator you are looking at - they will tell you the required clearances. My Samsung RF18 circulates air from the bottom.
I see what you mean...
Old 01-17-2023, 03:50 PM   #23

Unmanned gas appliances ( fridge, water heater, furnace ) are sealed from the inside to prevent a gas leak from coming inside.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Unmanned gas appliances ( fridge, water heater, furnace ) are sealed from the inside to prevent a gas leak from coming inside.
Thanks again Twinboat. As always, your input is always helpful.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:53 PM   #25

I think I have a good handle on this upgrade now.

The irv2 community is terrific...always generous with time and information.

Thank you gentlemen
Old 01-19-2023, 05:23 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
refer inverter

I installed this inverter with transfer switch for my RF18. It's been working fine for about 3 years.

https://theinverterstore.com/product...erter-charger/

Tom
tompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompn View Post
I installed this inverter with transfer switch for my RF18. It's been working fine for about 3 years.

Tom

Thanks for the reply.

It's nice to get great feedback about the longevity of RV mods.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:42 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompn View Post

Tom

I installed this same inverter to have as a backup. In 2021 I was on a trip and had electrical problems with my original inverter and power setup. Got that fixed but decided to go ahead and add a redundant inverter just in case. The way I've installed it I can power the refrigerator separate from the original but I can also run some other things as I put in a separate outlet PLUS I can use the inverter to help charge the batteries.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, upgrade