Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #1

Residential refer direct replacement for Norcold 1200

We are giving consideration to replacing the Norcold 1200 with a residential refer. What are the current model of high energy efficiency residentials that will provide a direct fit or very close? How wide, or narrow are the refers with doors removed in order to get them in the door? I'm not interested in having the windshield removed, big one piece, or the cost of slide removal. The refer is in the curb side slide.

I thought we would be boon docking more than we do and I really like the versatility of a 2 way RV refer. Currently the 1200 is working fine, refer side in mid 30's and freezer below 10. It has had the recall "fix" but that tripped last summer on the trip to AK. Could have been the washing or crappy electricity in the park. We bypassed it and when I got home reset it with a magnet. As I said, working just fine now but I would like to explore the safety and efficiency of a new residential.

I have 3 house batteries and a 2000W inverter. When these batteries go I'll get larger amperage or maybe explore the 6V option.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

I replaced my Norcold 1200 with a Samsung Stainless French door in 2013. Width was almost the same and in my 2006 HR Imperial; I removed drawer below Norcold and basically sat Samsung on the floor (not quite-using 2x4 laid on side; built a mini subfloor so that aqua line line that was under the drawer could stay in place). I then took the excess space above the Samsung and made a small storage space building a shelf on top of Samsung and using the wooden cabinetry facia that was on the Norcold as a "snap on door" to the shelf area. My coach has (4) house batteries, 2800 inverter and will easily run 18 hrs carrying the refrig without recharging batteries. Best dollars I've spent on upgrades!!!
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generically, you need a 33" wide "Counter Depth" fridge of which most will fit although they might be slightly taller and require some mods. I have a (slightly taller than the Norcold) Samsung RF-197 which has been discontinued and replaced with the Samsung RF-18 - both are French Door/bottom freezer and of the same dimensions. You will not find a large selection of 33" Counter Depth fridges as they do not appear to be overly popular ( except of course for RV'ers getting rid of Norcolds. The side fit will be tight and there will be minimal difference in depth compared with the Norcold. Unless you are looking at a smaller two door fridge, you wont need to do a lot of shopping. Good luck - you will be happy with the Samsung.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do wish the Samsung was about 5 or 6 inches shorter. No way I can fit it in.
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had no issues getting the fridge into my 09 Journey. I did remove the bar holding the coach door at 90 degrees when open and opened the door 180 degrees from closed so it would give me a couple of more inches thru the opening. Took the passenger seat off the mount ( needed to remove the swivel cable first). Also had a fellow helping who had just done it on his coach who suggested the seat removal. Took the french doors off the fridge and removed the freezer drawer. Also obviously need to get the glass shelves out of the interior. Went thru with room on each side but not a lot of room. Im sure your coach would be similar. Good luck.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
GGC

I went with a Hot Point HPS15BTHRBB.
Measure and remeasure to be sure. Get the actual size at appliance stores to be safe. The HP was a good fit for my Scepter.
Did remove a side window to bring it in though.
GGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You can view detailed dimensions for fridges on most any web site, either fridge manufacturer or a major retailer (Lowes, Depot, AJMadison, etc). The fridge makers provide detailed dimensions, e.g. with and without doors, handles, etc.

It's not just getting the fridge inside - you need to be concerned about space for the door to swing open and drawers to pull out. Often a fridge that fits nicely in the opening still cannot be used because the door strike something opposite or adjacent to it.

You don't have to get an 18-21 cu ft fridge. A 12-15 cu ft "apartment size" top freezer model is usually skinny enough to fit in the existing opening, open up the doors, and come in through the entry door. A 15 cu ft model is still 25% large than the Norcold, so a major gain in size as well as cooling convenience. Frost free, too!

In the larger cu ft fridges, you will probably need a "cabinet depth" (24" deep) model, but they are very wide. And that also means you need french doors to enable the doors to swing open. Those will be high-dollar fridges. In the smaller cu ft sizes, you should be able to find a standard depth model that is several inches narrower and much less expensive. It's your budget and your call.

I installed a 14.6 cu ft GE top-freezer model in place of my 1200. It left enough room that I was able to put a tall, narrow storage space along side that was great for some of our kitchen stuff that was awkward to put in the usual cabinets.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
SAMSUNG RF18HFENBSR from Home Depot. We had to cut out the small drawer below the Norcold. Put down two 1x6's with construction glue. Got the Norcold out with the doors off (could smell ammonia and see the burn marks on the cabinet once it was out) and the Samsung in the same way. Passenger seat removed. Capped off the gas and water lines and stowed in back. Sealed off the vents top and bottom with insulated foam and gorilla tape. slid fridge in on its back wheels and drove several screws down in front of and behind each wheel. Put a piece of plumbers wire in place
from the floor to the back of the reefer using the screws already in the back cover. Adjusted the front leveling pads. Made and stained a wooden extension at the top to close a 2" gap. Called it good. Freezer at -2, fridge at 38. We bungee top doors closed and use a shower curtain rod between the bottom door and our counter to hold it shut on the road. Best thing we ever did, love our frozen ice cream!!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
GGC

If you happen to like a unit with rear coils, measure the unit.
The detailed dimensions do not reflect the added depth of the coils.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I am also thinking of replacing my norcold. so will be interested in this thread.
Only problem I have is the 110V socket in the Refer is not on the inverter line.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
I am also thinking of replacing my norcold. so will be interested in this thread.
Only problem I have is the 110V socket in the Refer is not on the inverter line.
Bob
Here is an install just like mine, you can see what was done to switch over to the inverter. I had my Samsung installed around 3 years age and it has been on the inverter 100% of the time plus you never have to reset the microwave clock.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
Another great frig to install more $$$$ but a great fit is the Fisher-Paykel. My daughter had one installed where the Samsung 18 was just to tall by about an 1"
https://www.goedekers.com/Fisher-Paykel-RF170ADX4.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #12

I so want to do this however..... Our current Norcold1200 is installed over the furnace. Has anyone done this? I'm not about to move the furnace to another location
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
I so want to do this however..... Our current Norcold1200 is installed over the furnace. Has anyone done this? I'm not about to move the furnace to another location
I have the same situation. To make matters worse, the ceiling height on my MH is only 6'-6 (78") I only have about 65" in usable height, so I am going to be limited to one of the conventional top freezer refers in the 10cf area. There are several available. Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Haier, GE all have models in the needed height. You also have to be careful with overall width or depth as you probably want to get it in your door rather than having to remove a window.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
GGC

The Hot Point I installed is over the furnace in my 02 Scepter.
Did not change anything above the furnace.

Tags
ace, norcold, replace, replacement