RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Residential Refrig too warm

I replaced the absorption refrig with a residential one 2 years ago. Recently it does not seem to cool enough in the refrigerator section, the freezer is just fine. At the coolest setting in the refrig part, it won't get below 44 deg.
It's a Whirlpool 21 cu ft.

Any ideas.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I have the 21 Whirlpool and it works well. I’d start by making sure the fan on the bottom coils is working and that the coils are clean.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #3

food section temp is dependent on freeze temp and cold air from freezer being transferred to food compartment via FAN

Fan not blowing
Fan frozen
Food section thermostat not working
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #4

Make sure you're not setting the knob the wrong way. I thought I was making my fridge colder, and it was shutting off the flow from the freezer to the fridge. If it's a similar unit, the only fan on it pushes the air from the freezer side to the fridge side. The knob on the back determines the amount of airflow. And if I remember correctly, seemed to be counter to what I was trying to do. Check that first before you start ripping things apart.
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This was the fix for my warm Whirlpool fridge

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:13 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
So it's one of 3 things from my experience:
  1. Thermister is bad
  2. Fan is not working
  3. fan is blocked or frozen in place
If the freezer is still cold then it would rule out the compressor and related issues and is more than likely one of these things.

If you can verify that the fan is not frozen over and or the fan is not running then you can go from there.....none of these are a big deal really just a little time with youtube videos and some exploration......or call a repairman but they are all kinda easy fixes.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
So it's one of 3 things from my experience:
  1. Thermister is bad
  2. Fan is not working
  3. fan is blocked or frozen in place
If the freezer is still cold then it would rule out the compressor and related issues and is more than likely one of these things.

If you can verify that the fan is not frozen over and or the fan is not running then you can go from there.....none of these are a big deal really just a little time with youtube videos and some exploration......or call a repairman but they are all kinda easy fixes.
OK, are there 2 fans? The fan on the bottom outside of the refrig near the compressor works. So is there another fan??

If so I will check that first.

The Whirlpool temp adjustment on my refrig is the stupidest design I've ever seen. I had to go to the manual to figure out if more lights is colder or warmer. Anyway I figured it out and right now the temp inside the refrig portion is 45 deg regardless of where the temp setting is at.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 10-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same issue

Our Whirlpool french door fridge would not cool. Noticed that the air was not making it up to the fridge from the lower freezer. The lower coils on the freezer were totally iced and frozen, and the cycle to heat and eliminate that freeze-up to allow airflow was not working.

I had to call a Whirlpool service tech. They had me pull out the fridge from its bay (they would not touch the rear unless I pulled it out of its cubby) so they could get to the rear and install a new control board. The new control board fixed it immediately and no more problems
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
OK, are there 2 fans? The fan on the bottom outside of the refrig near the compressor works. So is there another fan??

If so I will check that first.

The Whirlpool temp adjustment on my refrig is the stupidest design I've ever seen. I had to go to the manual to figure out if more lights is colder or warmer. Anyway I figured it out and right now the temp inside the refrig portion is 45 deg regardless of where the temp setting is at.
My Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) French door did have 2 fans that were accessed by removing freezer drawer and the plastic shroud in that area you will access the fan that circulated the air from freezer up to the refrigerator...in our previous Side by Side had a fan that mode the air from freezer to fridge....the fan in back is to keep the compressor cool
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #10

Thanks Paul, I'll see if I can find the fan in the freezer section.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 10-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, two fans. One circulates chilled air inside the fridge,primarily between the freezer and the fridge section. The other draws ambient (room) air over the external cooling fins to help them shed heat. Some fridges even have a third fan internally to help circulate air inside, mostly to better stabilize inside temperatures.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #12

Have you tried shutting it down for a day ?

May have an ice blockage.
Some also have defrost timers. If they fail it doesn't go into the defrost cycle and freeze up blocking air flow.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

Condensors need to be brushed and vacuumed too. 2 years old probably is clean unless you have pets
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #14

OP here. We just came back from 2.5 months on the RV and the refrig was packed most of the time. We've been back for 2 weeks with the refrig mostly empty. I checked it today and the refrig temp was right at 40 deg right where it should be. I suspect some food item was blocking the air chase from the freezer to the refrig.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV