Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #15

Gotta wonder about the "Do not use it in an RV" line. It occurs to me that that same fridge was packed in a cargo container & endured a 6 or 7 thousand mile journey jostling about on a cargo ship. That has to be at least as rough as the motion of a typical RV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #16

we bought our MH 5 yrs ago and i had a norcold 1200 4 dr.i never liked it,just not cold enough for me,told the wife "if it ever gives me crap its out the door".well 2 yrs ago i got it out of storage plugged in shore power and went to turn it on.nothing.control panel wouldn't light up.messed with it off and on for a week and said heck with it.researched and found an 18 cu ft. whirlpool that was under 24 1/2 deep without the door so i could fit it thru the door opening.as it turns out the norcold needs 12v to power the display and as it turns out i have a master 12v switch right next to my steps and i didn't even think to flip it,as i had shore power and lights worked so didn't give it a second thought.so after getting it out i put power to it and it fired up and worked so i advertised it and sold it for 500 bucks.so my screw up only cost me about 300 bucks and it is by far the best money i have put into this.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #17

With all the Samsung lawsuits I would look for other makes
We have had residential fridges since 2008. Would never want a propane fridge.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
With all the Samsung lawsuits I would look for other makes
We have had residential fridges since 2008. Would never want a propane fridge.
Moisheh,
I can partially agree with you. In the four motorhomes, and two truck campers we've owned for a few dozen years, I've never been really happy with RV style (propane) type fridges. It seems they work, then they don't, then they do, then they don't. And when they do, even with moderate temps outside, I've never really been all that satisfied with temps inside in both the fridge part and the freezer part.

I know, I know, there are plenty of folks out there that are completely happy with their RV propane style fridges. I've red many, many reports on how well some of them do and talked with friends and people about how nice theirs are performing. And I'm one of those that takes GREAT CARE in leveling any and all RV's and truck campers we've owned just to make darn sure that the fridges in them are not laboring to get cold and do their job.

I took all options into consideration when I made the switch-over to a residential fridge. And for me and our situation and type of camping/traveling etc. it made the most sense to just switch over to a residential one. About 99.9999% of the time, we're in a hook-up campground/RV park.

But there are still times I kind-a wish I still had an RV style fridge so we could, at a moment's notice, do some boon docking with friends or family and not worry about powering up our new residential fridge. We'll survive.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #19

one thing i found out about those norcolds,you had to keep the stuff in the fridge separated so it could get air flow around everything and they did cool stuff a little better.our first trip with the new fridge was a 4 hr drive and it was 90 degrees that day.was on shore power and got everything in then pulled the cord and hit the road.temps were fridge 34 and freezer 0 when we got there fridge was at 38 and freezer 12 degrees so i was pretty happy with that.well this year i thought i would try something different.my wifes daughter gets this hello fresh food delivery and they come packed in reusable ice packs,she gave us 5 or 6 of em.i filled the the ice cube bin full and put one of those ice packs in a tupperware tub and put it in the fridge.this time i only lost 2 degrees on fridge and 6 on the freezer so i cut it in half,then i put the ice pack in the freezer so i could reuse it for the trip home.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We replaced our 8cf Norcold with a 10cf Magic Chef residential two years ago. I wish I had done it sooner without it being an emergency installation.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:12 PM   #21

Every thing Fire Up said is on point. I replaced a 24 year old 900 series Norcold with a 10.1 Magic Chef fully aware that the manual says in bold print not for RV use or powered by an inverter. Installed a dedicated PSW inverter of adequate size just for the fridge; upgraded to lithium batteries for off grid operation; removed foam insulation board inside rv fridge compartment to increase airflow; supplemented air flow with a fan; provided bottom to top airflow into conditioned space within rv; blocked off outside vents; created a mounting system that avoided blind holes into fridge; etc. different residential fridges locate cooling coils in different locations- sides, bottom or back. Make sure you test run it before installing and if placed on back or side let it rest upright for the recommended time. Read your fridge manual online before purchase and try to anticipate issues. You will be designing the installation and that will determine how well it works and how long it lasts. Ours has been running for six months and we love it.

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator