Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #1

Residential refrigerator yeah.

After band aiding a norcold 1210 frig for several months we made the move to a Samsung 18 cu ft vs the 12 cu ft old one. you may ask the cost well it was less than putting a new cooling unit on the old frig, a no brainer. If your around the St Augustine, FL area Ocean Grove RV on Hwy 1 south of the city did a great job. It took them only 5-6 hours, one day in and out. We love it.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 06:08 AM   #2

frig picture

Love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	111127  
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
After band aiding a norcold 1210 frig for several months we made the move to a Samsung 18 cu ft vs the 12 cu ft old one. you may ask the cost well it was less than putting a new cooling unit on the old frig, a no brainer. If your around the St Augustine, FL area Ocean Grove RV on Hwy 1 south of the city did a great job. It took them only 5-6 hours, one day in and out. We love it.
Did you install a separate inverter for it? Additional batteries? I am thinking of just installing one like this with no additional batteries and run it off the existing inverter for the short times we are off shore power.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #4

Welcome to the world of frozen ice cream...AND COLD BEER!!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
And that configuration, with the two door frig portion and the single, sliding drawer for the freezer is the best of all worlds! Congrats!
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #6

Bob/Joan,

I did essentially the same conversion two years ago. All I did special to the electrics was to make sure that the Samsung is plugged into a circuit that gets power when operating on the inverter.

Our coach has a Xantrex 2000 Watt inverter (MSW). It all works fine. When we drive, the engine keeps the house batteries charged, so everything is fine when we get there.

We have four 6V deep cycle batteries, so it can all work fine over night, but soon we need a re-charge.

HTH

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
Did you install a separate inverter for it? Additional batteries? I am thinking of just installing one like this with no additional batteries and run it off the existing inverter for the short times we are off shore power.
We have a 2000 watt inverter with 4 6v batteries the RV shop said that should do fine when traveling but I set the Gen to auto and it will start when the batteries get low and re charge them.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #8

That is a beauty ! I want to change my mickey mouse "Notcold" also. One question I have is that my inverter is a Magnum 2000 watt. Would i need to upgrade to a larger version ?
Or is the proper operation to just have house batt's in good condition and charged. [ I realize on-site with shore power all is good ] Do you have to run generator on road trips ?? What would a fridge like that actually require for power ?
My current Magnum is good for lights ,TV and anything with a heat element..........one at a time.
Thank you.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

rider fan
Look into joining monacoers@yahoogroups.com and ask them your question--lots of really helpful folks who have been there, done that. While I do not have stats handy for you, I can advise our Samsung works via our MSW 2000 watt Magnum inverter, and does quite well heading down the road being charged by the alternator. Dry camping is fine, but we have only done it a time or two and only one night and then its charged up by driving the next day. Samsung says a MSW inverter is fine--if I were to buy one then it surely would be a pure syne wave, but I am too cheap to replace a perfectly operating MSW inverter. Perhaps if you dry camp a lot, then a solar charging system might be necessary. And, of course there is always that generator. I have heard when needing a/c, it is more fuel efficient to run the generator and roof airs than to use the dash air, but once again I have no stats to prove that hearsay. Good luck.

Tags
refrigerator