Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

Restrictions in California

I am planning a trip to Palm Springs, CA in late October and I was told that California restricts the length of motor homes on highways. They said that you have to have a special license for anything between 40 and 45 feet.
I was told that you can drive only on an Interstate and State highways, and can exit for gas, food, and lodging, but your destination has to be one mile or less from the exit. If this is true, how does this affect me as I have a Florida driver's license?
Another reason I'm asking is that we are considering trading in our current motor home and have two that we are looking at. One is 40', the other is 42'. Maybe this would sway our decision as to which one we choose.
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for this but can someone validate this information? Thanks!
sourmug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmug2 View Post
I am planning a trip to Palm Springs, CA in late October and I was told that California restricts the length of motor homes on highways. They said that you have to have a special license for anything between 40 and 45 feet.
I was told that you can drive only on an Interstate and State highways, and can exit for gas, food, and lodging, but your destination has to be one mile or less from the exit. If this is true, how does this affect me as I have a Florida driver's license?
Another reason I'm asking is that we are considering trading in our current motor home and have two that we are looking at. One is 40', the other is 42'. Maybe this would sway our decision as to which one we choose.
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for this but can someone validate this information? Thanks!
Look at the link below.

http://http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

Link doesn't work
Old 09-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

Drop the unnecessary http bits:

www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

It does not address where you can drive a big rig. I have had mine well off the interstate, and I drag a Suburban behind my 42 footer.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Drop the unnecessary http bits:

www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm
Boy I do need some coffee!!!
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmug2 View Post

try this link State of California

this is caltrans road info on busses and motorhomes
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It appears by the wording that the restrictions apply to 40' or greater for a single unit. It addresses combination units when towing, in red on the web site, so I would assume that you are not restricted if you are 40' and towing a car. I'm 39'3" towing a vehicle which puts me over 60' total. I don't worry about it. If I were over 40' I'd be studying the charts.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

As you can tell by my sign in I have 43' and tow a 4dr Jeep. I have had no issues driving on any Hwy in the State. Residents of Ca. are required to have a modifies Class B License and have a physical every 2 years when driving an RV GREATER than 40'. Out of state visitors should have the appropriate license for their state, visitors are NOT required to have the same level of license as residents. The speed limit in California for ANYONE towing is 55MPH and restricted to slow and middle lane on any Hwy with more than 2 lanes. I usually set my cruise control at 58-59 MPH and to date have not had an issue.

All that being said come and enjoy California. The coast is wonderful and the mountains terrific.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
As said above.

You do not need a special driver license if visiting the state and have a longer than 40' motorhome, as long as your state's license requirements are met.

The highway restrictions apply to your rig and any fixed frame rig over 40' in length.

However, many 40'+ rigs registered in CA ignore the restrictions and have not yet been cited by a LEO.

You will probably encounter such routes getting to your RV resort in Palm Springs. The route to the Outdoor Resort facilities in Indio is one such circumstance as vehemently explained to a couple of us by a lady Highway Patrol officer.

However, I suspect no one has been cited over the years, and the CHP may have no authority over those surface streets.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to California...land of too many regulations.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
California does have some road restrictions for coaches over 40' regardless if you're a resident or not. 45' Bus & Motorhome Map
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There isn't enough money to enforce whatever restrictions there might be in place. Feel free to do anything you like.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
and the CHP may have no authority over those surface streets.
CHP may enforce any penal code, vehicle code and a bunch of other codes on any street/highway/blvd/avenue etc...in the state. Peace Officers jurisdiction extends throughout the state.
2912N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI
The only restrictions that I am aware of in California is that if you have an IQ over 75 you are not alowed to run for public office. If your IQ is 50 or below you are qualified to serve on the 9th circuit court.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california