Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Retarder switch?

What does the "retarder" with do, on the Providence 40X DP?

Thanks

Tom

I really don't understand why the manual does not explain things more.
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The retarder(common on allison trannies) absorbs energy to be dissipated as heat to provide braking action. It is a fairly efficient method of braking.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterd503 View Post
The retarder(common on allison trannies) absorbs energy to be dissipated as heat to provide braking action. It is a fairly efficient method of braking.

How do I use it?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
How do I use it?
Used a lot on downgrades to prevent excess wear on regular brakes. It downshifts the tranny and decreases speed.

Go down a steep grade. Press it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone on real computer - isn't there a sticky on Air Brakes - Retarders - Jakes etc. Can't get to it easily on my iPhone - but pretty sure there is one.... Can anybody link to it?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Manuals

There's more to it than just transmission downshifting. The attached picture is a PAC-Brake commonly used on Cummins & Cat diesels.

Google 'diesel engine brake' and you'll find about 10,000 explanations.

I leave mine on almost all the time and let the computer decide when to engage it. Especially in hills or traffic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	57959  
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't find the sticky - but if your like me - you have an Allison 3000 with Retarder. It works like this ---

But you may have more - as Muddypaws says.

There are lots of threads that explain the down shifting of the retarding to 4th gear and customizing the operation of the system. Put as Campdaven says - when your starting down a hill, giver flip er on. Or even driving on flatland - giver he a flip - and you'll feel the difference.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We use retarders on the 45 foot tour buses I drive in AK - they work well but do generate heat, so watch your transmission temperature on long descents.
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #9

I leave mine on constantly except when in ice or snow. lift the accelerator and it kicks in by itself. depress accelerator and it shuts off. drove truck for forty years with a three stage jake and never had a problem even in the winter, take it for what it is worth
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #10

I use mine all the time except in snow and ice. It is wired into my brake pedal and I have a joystick as well. Learn where the trans temp is taken. In the sump no more than 250 in the retarder it can go to 300.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #11

Retarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
I leave mine on constantly except when in ice or snow. lift the accelerator and it kicks in by itself. depress accelerator and it shuts off. drove truck for forty years with a three stage jake and never had a problem even in the winter, take it for what it is worth
Doesnt leaving it on decrease your mpg of the Diesel Engine?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

We are talking a retarder. It only activates when I push the brake or pull the joystick.

This might explain it.

Transmission Retarder Operation - How Does It Work

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
My understanding is that the three types of auxiliary braking are completely different from each other - exhaust brake (PacBrake is an example) creates engine compression braking by blocking the exhaust, Jake brake (Jacobson) creates engine compression braking within the engine itself (I'm not familiar with these), Retarder creates drag inside the transmission.
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #14

I sure could be wrong, but suspect that your coach does not have a transmission retarded. Labeled that way, and it is a retarded of speed, but probably a exhaust brake.

What engine, as that would probably help confirm Exhaust vs Compression brake assist.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote