Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 01:31 AM   #1

Review of my Viair 400P-RV

I have been looking at these online for a while and decided I wanted one. Ordered from Amazon and it came today. I decided on the 400p-rv instead of the 440p-rv model. The 440p has a longer run time before cooling but the 400 has a higher flow rate. I did not think the shorter run time of the 400 would be an issue to top the tires off when needed. I used it today. I added 10psi to 6 tires. Very easy to use and the hardware and gauges that came with the unit worked great. Total price including shipping was around $250. Comes with everything you need and has a nice compact case that's easy to stow. Worth a look if you decide to go this route rather than the 150 psi pancake compressor. I already have a compressor at my house but it's to large to take on the road.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #2

review of my Viair 400P-RV

Thanks for the personal review. What do you think about the noise level? Is it something that you could run in a campsite and not annoy everyone around you? What if it were inside a storage compartment? I have the 150 PSI pancake compressor and would like to replace it with a 12V compressor.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #3

I just received it for Christmas. I plan on using it to top off the tires and also to see how well it fills the air tanks in preparation for moving the Rv. I hate starting the diesel and waiting for the compressor to get my air pressure up especially if I am in an Rv park. I have a small leak and haven't found it yet.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Thanks for the personal review. What do you think about the noise level? Is it something that you could run in a campsite and not annoy everyone around you? What if it were inside a storage compartment? I have the 150 PSI pancake compressor and would like to replace it with a 12V compressor.

Mike

It's quieter than those cheap units you buy at Walmart or autozone, and quieter than idling my motorhome to use the onboard compressor.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I have the same system going on a year now. I love it. I use it at camp grounds during normal hours people are up. May not want to use it at 2 AM in the morning, but I am not up anyway. I no longer use my home air compressor system for tires anymore. The Viair system can reach 45 feet out and my gauge is very easy to attach to valve stems and accurate. One of my best after market purchases.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

I've had one for 8 yrs. -----7 of which were Full Time traveling weekly

Use it to air up my 5vr tires......110#
Use it to air up truck tires..........80# ------I drop rears down to 45# when not towing

Tough little unit and does the job.
Noise .........it's a compressor and I'm not using it at 5AM or 11PM
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I wouldn't use any other compressor!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post

Mike
Mike

I think the unit is pretty quiet if your comparing it to a 110 volt pancake compressor. Like others have said it's a compressor so it does make noise but definitely not an issue. The fact that it comes with the gauge, a couple attachments to reach your valve stems and 50' of hose helps close the gap on price if you needed to buy those items to work with your pancake compressor. I also ordered a decent air pressure gauge but it has not been delivered so I have not verified the accuracy of the Viair gauge.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Mike

I think the unit is pretty quiet if your comparing it to a 110 volt pancake compressor. Like others have said it's a compressor so it does make noise but definitely not an issue. The fact that it comes with the gauge, a couple attachments to reach your valve stems and 50' of hose helps close the gap on price if you needed to buy those items to work with your pancake compressor. I also ordered a decent air pressure gauge but it has not been delivered so I have not verified the accuracy of the Viair gauge.

Thank you. That's the experience that I'm looking for. Last year, I purchased the Porter Cable pancake model to replace an ancient horizontal compressor that couldn't make enough pressure to inflate my tires. The Porter Cable unit takes up too much space in me storage bay, and I prefer 12V over 120V. I think I'll be ordering a Viair system to mount in the MH when the spring weather comes.

Mike
Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have been looking at these online for a while and decided I wanted one. Ordered from Amazon and it came today. I decided on the 400p-rv instead of the 440p-rv model. The 440p has a longer run time before cooling but the 400 has a higher flow rate. I did not think the shorter run time of the 400 would be an issue to top the tires off when needed. I used it today. I added 10psi to 6 tires. Very easy to use and the hardware and gauges that came with the unit worked great. Total price including shipping was around $250. Comes with everything you need and has a nice compact case that's easy to stow. Worth a look if you decide to go this route rather than the 150 psi pancake compressor. I already have a compressor at my house but it's to large to take on the road.

I bought one of those several years back when we were pulling a 5er. It is a great compressor, but takes too long to use it on the 22" MH tires! I use the on-board compressor.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #11

Looks a lot like the one I bought made by Air Lift several years ago. Never leave home without it.
znt1186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I bought one of those several years back when we were pulling a 5er. It is a great compressor, but takes too long to use it on the 22" MH tires! I use the on-board compressor.
Since I have never used my on board compressor to air the tires I did not have that comparison. I didn't time it but I'm guessing I was able to go from 90 to 100 psi in my 22.5 tires in 4-6 minutes each. But I was playing around with it a little and stopped and started a couple times trying different angles. That is also one reason I chose the 400P over the 450P. It has a higher output but is more restrictive on usage without a cooling period. I let my tires get away from me a bit being 10lbs low so a minor adjustment of a few pounds should go much quicker next time. Now if I was inflating a tire that was really low this would be an issue. Glad your onboard system is working for you. No need to spend money if what you have is doing the job
Old 12-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Since I have never used my on board compressor to air the tires I did not have that comparison. I didn't time it but I'm guessing I was able to go from 90 to 100 psi in my 22.5 tires in 4-6 minutes each. But I was playing around with it a little and stopped and started a couple times trying different angles. That is also one reason I chose the 400P over the 450P. It has a higher output but is more restrictive on usage without a cooling period. I let my tires get away from me a bit being 10lbs low so a minor adjustment of a few pounds should go much quicker next time. Now if I was inflating a tire that was really low this would be an issue. Glad your onboard system is working for you. No need to spend money if what you have is doing the job

The downside of using the on-board compressor is that you have to keep the MH running all that time. If I'm in a CG I try to do it at a time of day that (hopefully) I won't annoy my neighbors! I always do it the day before we are leaving the next morning for that reason!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I just ordered the 450P-RV unit .... our front tires need to be at 125 lbs. Another Entegra owner generously aired up my tires for me in Biloxi with his 400 unit and it did a nice job. So, decided to bite the bullet and buy myself a Christmas present.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote