Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #1

Can I flat tow a GMC pickup

Does anyone know or have a 2021 GMC 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive that they flat tow? Just making sure before I buy one.
rwcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #2

Don't come here for factual information--you will get what you pay for....according to the latest FMCA magazine, all GM pick-up products with a true "neutral" position on the x-fer case are towable....Check with your dealer--read the owners manual on towing [being towed]...get the dealer's assurance in writing if you are still concerned....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

The only way is for the 4WD transfer case to have a neutral position. It will be explained in the owners manual.
This is the 2020 GMC 1500 4wd notation from Motorhome magazine. There is no listing for 2021.

"ierra/Sierra Denali 1500 4WD4,730 None N/A Yes15/20 $35,795-$62,390Special Procedures: Only flat tow 4WD vehicles with two-speed transfer case with a Neutral position and 4WD Low setting. Start engine, shift transfer case to Neutral. Check to ensure vehicle is in N by shifting to Drive, then to Reverse. There should be no movement of vehicle while shifting. With transmission in D (Drive), turn ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY. If equipped with Keyless Access, turn engine off. Discon-nect negative battery cable and secure nut and bolt. Cover negative battery post with non-conductive material. Shift transmission to P. Move steering wheel to ensure steering column is unlocked. Keep ignition key in ACC/ACCESSORY to prevent steering column from locking. If equipped with Keyless Access, keep RKE transmitter outside of vehicle and manually lock doors. Access vehicle as if it has a dead RKE transmitter battery, by using the key in the door lock. See owner’s manual for disconnecting dinghy".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rick....I've bought six different vehicles, five of them trucks, to tow behind my motor home. Before I sign on the dotted line, I ask to see the Owners Manual that comes with the truck. A quick look under "Recreational Towing" will tell you if the truck is towable and the procedure. You can take it a step further and make sure that the one you're buying actually goes into Neutral Tow mode.

The above ensures there were no mid year changes and the truck is no longer towable.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #5

The 2019 and up GM 4x4 half ton trucks have two transfer case options. The standard one is not flat towable. Certain packages give you the two speed transfer case with neutral, which is flat towable, as mentioned above. For example, the Sierra with X31 off-road package has the two speed. You need to make sure you buy the right one. Make sure you verify or you have an expensive mistake. I just went through this research on my 14 Silverado but that vintage only has the two speed with neutral option, so that was not a question for me. I was just researching new Sierras as well but decided to keep my current truck.
TFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #6

Shoot, I forgot to add the link to the owners manual. Page 396 specifies which pickups may be flat-towed.
The pickup must have a 2-speed transfer case with a neutral position, and a 4-low position.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow