Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
A motorhome is much like a bus. They are large and roomy and have many padded areas. Unlike cars that are confined and have sharp pointy things like steering wheels that can impale the occupants.
I will disagree with this .... motorhomes have many places you could get hurt if in an accident....sitting at a dinette your face would hit the table at great force. If walking around you'd have the countertops, door frames and being tossed around with an impact, etc. Sitting sideways with a front or rear impact would really jar you. Not specifically injury-proof but sitting forward and belted in is the best place to be.

I'd never lay down on the bed while traveling when viewing motorhomes catching fire while traveling. They are up in flames instantly. Even if belted in by a makeshift device, could you escape the flames? Sitting by a door and being alert would give you a better chance.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR555 View Post
First, it is a requirement in every state that all persons in a motor home wear seat belts when it is in motion. If one of us decides to sleep in the rear bed while in motion, we get undert thr sheet or blanket and tuck it in all around and use a tie-down strap placed from the left side of the bed, under the bed, up the right side of the bed and fastened over the person in the bed across their chest. This still isn't legal but it will give maximum protection for the sleeper. If you're sitting in a rear chair fastened to the floor you can get a seat belt kit to install at almost any auto parts store or RV dealer. Please do these things for your safety while moving or you'll be playing Russion Roulette with your safety and life.
I'm not entirely sure that is factual. What about the majority of rv's on the road right now that had NO SEAT BELT on any seats behind the driver? I'm not arguing the safety of it. Obviously you would be safer in an accident if you were not flying around. But not every law that applies to passenger cars apply to rv's. In Illinois, it is legal to drink alcoholic beverages behind the driver while moving.(checked with the state police when transporting a 40th birthday party) Can't do that in a car.

Oh in our dp, my wife sat on the bed while in motion once, and asked how anyone could sleep on top of that CAT. LOL.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR555 View Post
First, it is a requirement in every state that all persons in a motor home wear seat belts when it is in motion. If one of us decides to sleep in the rear bed while in motion, we get undert thr sheet or blanket and tuck it in all around and use a tie-down strap placed from the left side of the bed, under the bed, up the right side of the bed and fastened over the person in the bed across their chest. This still isn't legal but it will give maximum protection for the sleeper. If you're sitting in a rear chair fastened to the floor you can get a seat belt kit to install at almost any auto parts store or RV dealer. Please do these things for your safety while moving or you'll be playing Russion Roulette with your safety and life.
Please state your sources. I know in colorado a adult person sitting in the back seat of a car is not required to wear a seat belt. Source Colorado Safety Laws - Cell Phone, Seat Belt, & Car Seat | DMV.org
Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #60
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
My DW refuses to sit in the front seat and lies on the sofa instead. She blames it on our dog, who has bad eyesight and should not have glare. It bugs me though, as she is totally isolated back there. We can drive 4 or 5 hundred miles in a day through beautiful country and she sees nothing. Sometimes I feel like I am Ralph Cramden!

Just venting.

One of my biggest pet peeves also. The trip there is most of the fun! (Or with me, "the trip there is most of the fun, damnit! Now sit up front and look out the damned windows!) LOL!
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #61

When there is 3 of us in the motor home my wife lays back on the couch belted in. As for heat back there I've put in a 2 heaters that runs off engine heat. I needed two as I drive in the winter and I don't want anything freezing up. They keep the rig really warm.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnails52 View Post
We just bought a 2005 fleetwood expidition class a deisel, i am a nervous passenger and i sit in the back of the coach on the couch. I am not wearing a seatbelt.
Anxiety is real, ignore those telling you to "get over it" Or, better yet, offer to break one of their legs and tell them to "get over it"

I would strongly suggest finding the seatbelts in your dinette and using that seating that is facing towards the front of the MH. You can also install aftermarket shoulder belts and headrests in that area, and drop the table, to make it as safe as possible.
rdeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #63

Exclamation

I just attended an RVing Women National Conference - there were several safety sessions.

1. All passengers should be seatbelted!
2. Never run the generator or propane while traveling - it's an explosion waiting to happen!!!
3. If you're cold - get a blanket or put on a sweatshirt.
jstauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #64

Pharmaceuticals. Just to get you over the transition from back rider to comfortable co-pilot. Richard
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #65

Never run the generator while while driving? First time I have heard that one! If I did not run the generator while driving in the heat of the southwest the only thing exploding would my wife's temper when the interior gets hot. Dash air will not cool the RV when it is above 80. Don't believe everything someone tells you; even if you paid money to hear it. Richard
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:43 AM   #66

Maybe I missed it. But did anyone mention the dash heater just might have a witch that turns heat on to a rear register?. Mine has a register (vent) near the bed that lets heat from the engine warm the rear area.
I certainly utilize the generator, furnace, refrigerator or any other thing to add comfort, constantly keeping safety in mind.
Having Jan in the front passenger seat up front adds enjoyment and help to me as I drive. We are able to enjoy talking about the scenery, plans and other information or help.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:08 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Please state your sources. I know in colorado a adult person sitting in the back seat of a car is not required to wear a seat belt. Source Colorado Safety Laws - Cell Phone, Seat Belt, & Car Seat | DMV.org
I stand corrected but age changes the laws in most states. See URL below.

Things You Need To Know About RV Seat Belt Laws
RAPTOR555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:12 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Most RV appliances are not designed to operate while moving. In fact the RV industry does not advocate having the propane tanks on while driving. LP furnaces are designed to intake fresh air and exhaust gases in a stationary position only, not with a 60 MPH constant wind going by. Many owners run refrigerators although the industry does not recommend it. It is commonly accepted that generators are OK to operate when moving. I am guilty of operating the refer while driving, however in an accident, having the possibility of a ruptured LP line and an open flame will add a whole different level of problems to the injuries one might sustain from the impact. When I purchased my current RV a three way refer was a must so that the unit could be operated on 12 volts while moving down the highway. Granted refrigerators don't operate efficiently on 12 volts, so I end up transferring everything to coolers when moving. It is a PIA but is the safer way to go. Why does the industry not put more effort into their endorsement secure the propane tanks prior to driving? Potential loss of sales is the answer. There have been many injuries and loss of equipment due to propane related fires that have started while the RV was in motion. Often the occupants don't realize that there is a problem until the fire has gotten very large. Before diesel generators became common, many diesel powered motorhomes came equipped with propane powered generators. It makes sense, since the coach already has propane onboard, and the fuel is not as prone to spoilage as gasoline is. Owners of these coaches often keep the propane turned on to run the generator. However refrigerators are the only other propane appliance that are designed so that the burner can operate while moving. As for seat belts, RV's like buses and limousines in most states are not required by law to have seat belts in any but the front seats. The fact that the vehicle is large and heavy compared to most of the other vehicles on the road is the reasoning. In an impact the momentum of a large heavy vehicle is not going to be stopped as suddenly as a car which can stop immediately in a collision with a larger vehicle. A motorhome behaves like a truck in an accident, and will often continue moving in the same direction for a few feet before stopping. I am a seat belt freak and install seat belts on every seat if they don't come that way, however it is not as dangerous as it may seem when riding unbelted in an oversize vehicle. The same logic is used with school busses. School busses are considered the safest mode of ground transportation in existence, however a seat belt is only provided for the driver. Another piece of logic in buses is that if there is a fire or the bus becomes submerged in water having every passenger in a seat belt will hinder removal of passengers and actually increase the death toll. Granted, anything can happen in an accident, and one could be thrown from an unbelted seat through the coach and through the windshield. One can't predict every scenario.
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #69
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsprayjr View Post
I am a seat belt freak and install seat belts on every seat if they don't come that way, however it is not as dangerous as it may seem when riding unbelted in an oversize vehicle. The same logic is used with school busses. School busses are considered the safest mode of ground transportation in existence, however a seat belt is only provided for the driver.
I have heard the "school bus" argument many times. Sorry, but comparing an RV to a school bus regarding seatbelts is not valid. Here is an excerpt from the American School Bus Council.

"The children are protected like eggs in an egg carton Ė compartmentalized, and surrounded with padding and structural integrity to secure the entire container. The seat backs are raised and the shell is reinforced for protection against impact."

Link to full article: Why don?t school buses have seat belts? - American School Bus Council

The seating in an RV is not designed, nor arranged, like the row seating in a school or passenger bus. The comparison is not valid.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstauf View Post
I just attended an RVing Women National Conference - there were several safety sessions.

1. All passengers should be seatbelted!
2. Never run the generator or propane while traveling - it's an explosion waiting to happen!!!
3. If you're cold - get a blanket or put on a sweatshirt.
Not trying to start anything but you're sure that they told you that women should not have the genset on when they are driving?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome