Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #85

Forest River Owners Club
"Propane-powered vehicles would be dead in the water"

"If it were necessary/required to "turn the propane OFF while driving" thousands of propane powered school and public transportation buses, (and 3000+ Schwan's Home Service trucks), would be "dead in the water", (aka: useless)"

Sorry, but I agree with the "Apples to Oranges" comment about this statement. The propane lines in such vehicles do not run into the passenger compartment, so if they rupture you are not sitting inside a flaming box! In my RV the stove and water heater gas lines are inside the shell. The fridge lines not so, but hard to say whether the shell is solid enough to withstand a "blowtorch" on the inner wall there. As to whether the check valve in the propane tank would shut the gas off - we would probably need someone from the propane industry to get reliable advice, but because these appliances are on the low pressure side of the regulator, I'm guessing that the check valve would NOT kick in. Even with ruptured lines inside the coach, the pressure differential would not be enough to trigger it. But I am willing to be corrected by someone who has actually tested the theory!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardocana View Post
"If it were necessary/required to "turn the propane OFF while driving" thousands of propane powered school and public transportation buses, (and 3000+ Schwan's Home Service trucks), would be "dead in the water", (aka: "useless").

Sorry, but I agree with the "Apples to Oranges" comment about this statement.
ricardocana
I was simply stating a FACT...(I was NOT "comparing" anything to anything).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:21 AM   #87

quote:We just bought a 2005 fleetwood expidition class a deisel, i am a nervous passenger and i sit in the back of the coach on the couch. I am not wearing a seatbelt. Do any of you ever ride in the back instead of passenger seat. I ride in seat only when we are not in traffic. It really makes me nervous and i dont want to upset my husband. I am also wondering about how to get heat in the back of the coach. The front heaters do not get to the coach. Thanks in advance

Husbands are all different although I have heard all men are the same.
You said nothing to indicate you have a problem with your husband. But, maybe your husband can help relieve your fears. If he invokes fear because he is nervous or expresses himself about traffic upsetting him, perhaps he can alter his attitude in consideration of you, his wife. Unless you are unreasonably nervous, try helping him through tight rough traffic. Sometime it is best to wait before you speak. Often the situation seams to change very quickly.
I understand you don't want to make your husband nervous and i can appreciate that.
Here is a funny: Jan said; "Tell her to do like I do. I grab both sides of the seat, pull up on it and the sides of the motor home sucks in and we just go right on through."
She is a great help to me.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #88

If my wife developed a fear of riding in our motor home our motor home would be sold.
(She is more important to me than the motor home).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #89

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Stoves, water heaters and furnaces run on days with strong winds and storms, so why wouldn't they run in the man made wind of driving.

You say the fridge is ok to run, going down the road. What is different about that flame, compared to the other appliances. The fridge is the smallest, easiest to blow out flame.
The burner in the refrigerator is shielded to protect it from air movement. I did not say that it is safe. What I said is that the appliance is designed to operate while in motion. Water heaters, stoves, and furnaces are not. The flames will not necessarily blow out due to the electronic igniter's, however in the case of a furnace or water heater the flame can be extended outside of the burner cavity heating areas that are fiberglass or other flammable materials. The stove and oven are inside of the coach, so the flame is sharing the same space as the passengers. Not to mention the risks of something hot being thrown onto passengers in an accident. If one has ever seen the inside of an RV after an accident, one would not consider adding open flames, propane, or hot food to the mix.
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #90

Riding up front

Wow did this thread go for a run with the seating , heating , propane etc !
I thought about it , wifes in the back , your driving along seeing nice scenery , you yell out "Look at this hun " , she yells back " I cant see it , I'm cold " "where are we" what a sad way to try and enjoy a motor home and the travelling experience
1- Go alone.....might as well
2- Sell motor home
3- Buy a cabin
4- Take wife to psychiatrist.........she obviously needs professional help.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:31 AM   #91

It seems to me, nuff said. Start another thread on why everyone is opinionated and has the right to be. Or, why are motor homes equipped with all the dangerous stuff for our convenience or enjoyment. Or, why a short class A looks funny.
Have you ever thought about a driver might be a fussy driver blaming all the wrong or mistakes in driving on the passenger?
There's just so so much to talk about.
Please don't get me wrong. I enjoy reading what you post and look forward to reading and commenting.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Wow did this thread go for a run with the seating , heating , propane etc !..........

Ignore everything after this sentence. I'm sure Rider was just having a bad day.......
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #93

Riding in Motor Home

No , actually I was having a nice fall day. Just stating my opinion.
If it was my wife she would get professional help , if that did not work i guess we would sell the motor home. No disrespect intended.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #94

Rider, I respect your opinion, I am not ruffled a bit. I have never driven in the front of something this large before, and I did ride in the front t quite a bit, when I go in the back I can still talk to my DH and I can see everything out the front a d side windows, until I get used to this it's working for us both, and we love the motorhome. we are taking it to Florida after Christmas.
Bnails52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #95

I thought the "read a book" while in the passenger seat was good advice. I do most of the driving while hubby takes the passenger seat. He just doesn't enjoy driving and I do so it works excellent for us. Maybe you could start out in the passenger seat for a certain amount of time and then move to your comfy spot. You could keep increasing the time you spend up front and work your way up to full time perhaps. Remember, there is no right or wrong way here so stay in your comfort zone and enjoy yourself as this is what it's all about - enjoyment. Happy travels.
jmzumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #96

Right on !

Mighty positive attitude Bnails. Hope you have a great time in Florida and you ease into a true co-pilot !
All the best and have fun
Old 11-08-2016, 05:47 AM   #97

Thank you, I guess I created quite a stir hrre, these last two replys are both good for me. I have been goingg iin passenger quite a bit and my seat reclines and im quite comfy up there until we get in lots of traffic. So thanks for support with this, i will keep trying to stay there longer each time. I also loike to drive so i am thinking eventually i might take a course and help him drive it. Thanks to you all for taking time to help me.
Bnails52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #98

Just a quick thought from a noob. My wife and I like an RV specifically because the only one stuck in one position for a trip is the driver. If I'm driving she can stretch out and move about (within reason). IF we were restricted to only riding in one seat for the duration we might as well take the car. We also both work full-time so many of our trips are getting to a destination as quickly as feasible so that we can enjoy that place. When we ever have more time to stop and smell the roses along the way we may re-evaluate the mode of travel.
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome