Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Move if you can. Not worth the chance. It will be miserable up there when 45 million people don't have electricity. I have done it in florida with Wilma and it was nasty..Good luck. Get out of Dodge...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now you said you are awaiting a part.. What part. If it's something you need to drive, Good luck and see if you can park it INSIDE the shop.

If it's something you can live without for a while...

Quote Governor Arnold (CA) and tell the shop "I'll be back". and head west young man.

On edit before a moderator says anything:

1: He was not yet Governor when he uttered that signature line
2: I only mentioned he's governer cause I can't spell his last name so feel free to edit "Governor Arnold" to his real name and delete the on-edit part along with the (CA).

I am in no way making a political comment, Just IDing the man.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh Well!!

We are currently at Cherry Hill north of DC. Against my better judgement, we are going to stick it our. I moved to a treeless site with elevation, secured anything loose and filled the fresh water tank to max.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/more/bow.gif
This animated icon is me in front of my house, facing east and mumbling unintelligble sounds when the missionaries etc. come down the street!!
TeHehehe!!
hal-3 gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal-3 gunner
We are currently at Cherry Hill north of DC. Against my better judgement, we are going to stick it our. I moved to a treeless site with elevation, secured anything loose and filled the fresh water tank to max.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/more/bow.gif
This animated icon is me in front of my house, facing east and mumbling unintelligble sounds when the missionaries etc. come down the street!!
TeHehehe!!
Saturday at 4:00 pm the weather channel has the eye of the storm coming ashore in New Jersey. With large area of the system, and the storm pivoting east of Washington DC, the region will get slapped hard. If it were I, I would get on I95 and drive the three hours south towards Richmond. Just north of Richmond there is a large campground just off I95.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
hal-3, I'd get out of the area if at all possible. From the forecast, I would not want to chance riding it out. High wind, lots of water, tornadoes and the possibility of days without power or water. Secure the house and all loose items, take important papers, medications and pet supplies and leave. If you have an RV, leave in it and get it to a safe area. it may wind up being home for some period of time.

I would rather be safe than sorry.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal-3 gunner View Post
Back in Miami in '92, I remember telling my worried brother and father in Mpls that we were "hunkering down" in anticipation of the arrival of Andrew, in a 1-story CBS house with a low profile concrete roof. Steel panels over the windows helped little as the front door blew in, frame and all. Then the garage door. Then the roof started coming off. Of course the eye wall of a category 5 hurricane with imbedded tornadoes is much worse than what you are likely to encounter. Your aluminum/fiberglass cigar tube will offer little or no protection at all.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I was at Cherry Hill around 3 weeks ago. Right now I am sitting next to the sand dunes in Myrtle Beach. I prepared to leave for higher ground yesterday, fearing water coming over the dunes as well as salt/sand spray, but decided to stay. It worked out okay as the center was 350 miles away. Still feeling gusts today. If I were sitting where you are now, I would be packing up and heading south.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Hey...Footdoc...NICE AVATAR!!!
It worked, I instantly tried to squash the dangbug!
I guess it comes from living in Florida!
OP...Storm now gone by..how did you make out??
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #36

Be brave, ride it out. From as far away as you can get. Otherwise, the lee side of a solid building is great advice.

Best - lee side of a solid building 100 miles to the west. Or 200 miles.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
You don't want to head due west from DC area because then you run into blizzards. We have power, but others around me are not so lucky. In this case, south is better.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
We left Portsmouth on Friday. The coach has a minor problem with a ground wire that doesn't impact anything other than the fuel and air gauges. I'll keep it full and listen for the compressors to purge. That will let me know if they are functioning. We went south to Cumberland County NC. Very little effect here - some wind and rain. For two days we watched the utility trucks heading north on 95 and flat beds with generators. An amazing effort that started 3 days before the storm hit. Hope all that could get out did.
tnsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #39

A small cat 1 is no big deal. Sandy is huge. Of course now we're seeing the overnight damage. Nasty.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sandy

Last night about midnight I pulled in both slides which were on the down wind side. It wasn't to bad. The only problem was condensation on the passenger window frame. We were lucky and the main hit was north of here.
hal-3 gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #41

Battle tested, The 05 Travel Supreme made it thru Sandy just fine. We are in Kutztown, Pa and it got to 70+ at times. We elected to close it up and go to a motel (glad we did) Came back at 8 am and found it was ok. No power or water in cg but fired up the genset and we are go to go. We have now made it thru last years 13+ blizzard, tornado, earthquake, and now hurricane. Bring it on! (we will be in the motel) LOL
DreamBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Well we live 10 miles north of where The I came ashore We had no power in the House so we decided to go out and get in the motorhome we have been in it for two days now not one problem nice and warm have electric and gas what more could one ask for. With the jacks down I was surprised how stable the MH was. We still sit here waiting for the electric to come back on in the house And it don't look like it will be today. According to the weather Channel the winds were 90 mile an hour.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane