Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Riding out a hurricane??

I am currently hooked up at a Spartan repair facility in Portsmouth VA waiting for one of those mysterious electronic issues. I may not be out of here before hurricane Sandy hits. Has anyone ridden out a hurricane in a 33k lb class A? Winds are expected in excess of 110mph. Should I stay in the coach with its own power supply or take my car inland to a motel which will probably lose power? I'm probably 300 yards from the river at about 10 feet in elevation.
Thanks
tnsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

If you like your coach too....I'd take everything west....hurricanes are NO fun in anything....especially at that category.....don't ask me how I know...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #3

If you indeed receive 100+ mph winds inside a mh please make sure all your documents are in order and the rescue (recovery team) have information as to who to contact (if they find you). Seriously if I were you I'd move the RV and yourself inland away from the path of the storm asking Spartan to save your place.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsteele View Post
I am currently hooked up at a Spartan repair facility in Portsmouth VA waiting for one of those mysterious electronic issues. I may not be out of here before hurricane Sandy hits. Has anyone ridden out a hurricane in a 33k lb class A? Winds are expected in excess of 110mph. Should I stay in the coach with its own power supply or take my car inland to a motel which will probably lose power? I'm probably 300 yards from the river at about 10 feet in elevation.
Thanks
I can sum it up this way...if your rig runs, so should you.

Been there, done that, no fun no matter how you look at it. But check your evac plan carefully so you know you won't be caught somewhere else where it could be worse.

Best of luck!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are at a campground in Marathon, FL and currently getting some of the bands from Hurricane Sandy, heavy rain and probably 50 mph winds gusting to 60+. We are on jacks, no antennas or sat. dish up. Would not want to take a direct hit as our site is directly on Gulf. Hopefully she will turn out to the East. I think we would find a stick and brick location if it looked like it was going to make a hit on the area you are. Good Luck!
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #6

If that thing starts and runs, get outta there...if those nasty winds you speak of are very likely.

Either that, or beg the repair center if you can keep it inside (pay them if need be).....but I'd be kinda surprised if they go for it.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Fill up all tanks and watch the path closely. If it will hit in your area, try to start moving at least 48 hrs before landfall. I live in south Louisiana so we have had to many hurricane experiences.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #8

At 100mph plus winds if it doesn't blow you over I would be worried about flying debri. If I was sure we were in the line of fire I would get out of dodge till it blows over to save on those insurance deductibles.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
At 100mph plus winds if it doesn't blow you over I would be worried about flying debri. If I was sure we were in the line of fire I would get out of dodge till it blows over to save on those insurance deductibles.
With full tanks it will take more than 100+ winds to blow a RV over. But tornados very unpredictable with a hurricane. Regardless, if the hurricane is headed towards you and you can get out, head west young man!
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #10

Retreat is best option for all the above. But one addl similar bit. We got caught in a high dry wind situation. I figured it was best to nose into the wind, if this thing will travel at 70mph head on the best direction to take a stationary 70 mph wind was to land it low into the wind. Debris and rising water is going to be the larger issue.

Running water may be better to landed higher.
I'd retreat to higher ground unless it doesn't run. If it can't run I'd land it and get a rental out if town and hope for the best. It's only stuff.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsteele View Post
Thanks
If you just move your coach to the lee side of an office building you'll be fine. I've been through this in 2004, Charlie was a direct hit over me. The worst damage was done by tree's breaking/falling. Our power was out for 8 day's so fuel is an issue. As others have stated top off fuel & water to weigh down the coach & keep the slides in.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

What about having it towed farther inland? Tow it to a campground plug in and BBQ until over. I'd rather pay a tow bill than the deductible for a flooded rv.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can, move.
Why be part of the "problem" (food, fuel, other needs) during the clean up.
4-5 hrs and you can be out of the track or at least the worst of it.
But leave early or 4-5 hrs could easily double or more.
Good luck what ever you decide.

Keith
Keitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Growing up on the gulf coast I learned one thing about hurricanes. No two are exactly alike. Depending on circumstances the damage can be from wind alone - wind and flying debris - fire from downed power or broken gas lines. Driving water - rising water and btw 10 feet sounds like a lot but depending on where it backs up from and to is less than you might think. Rising water can also bring you snakes. It's always an inconvenience to let a storm dictate your plans but why take a chance. If you can move it without a lot of hassle why not. If you can't - why take a chance with yourself, DW and toad. There will always be folks that ride them out and then there's Darwin.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane