Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hate to mention it but since they stole your GPS, if you have your home address programmed into the GPS they now know where you live - the GPS will take them right to your front door. And if they didn't like what you had in the RV they might figure you've got better stuff to steal in your house. YIKES!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
I hate to mention it but since they stole your GPS, if you have your home address programmed into the GPS they now know where you live - the GPS will take them right to your front door....
Excellent point! I always program my "home address" as an intersection way down the street from my house (or use a house number that doesn't exist). That way, if stolen, they will never know exactly where my home is! - Even if they stole my house keys too....
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
I hate to mention it but since they stole your GPS, if you have your home address programmed into the GPS they now know where you live - the GPS will take them right to your front door. And if they didn't like what you had in the RV they might figure you've got better stuff to steal in your house. YIKES!
I think this is a bit out there. Do you really think that they couldn't find a house to break into without your GPS? They could have gotten your address off your ownership, insurance slip, or any number of other things we leave in our motor homes.

What is a bit risky is leaving your garage door opener and your vehicle registration in your car.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry about your break-in. Unfortunately there are far to many in this world that prefer to steal your things rather than work and buy their own. I was in law enforcement 34 years and saw plenty of this type activity. Also, I agree that locks are for honest folks, crooks just tear their way in. The better the locks, the more damage they tend to do getting inside. Even with better quality locks, there are still plenty of windows to break and usually these turds take the easy way in.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your victimization. The other posts have valuable insight. If a thief wants in, they will find a way in. The key is to make your property less appealing and, I hate to say it, but somebody else’s more attractive. (more payoff, less effort)

But one of the best ways to catch a thief is to have recorded the serial numbers of your property. Almost everything has a serial number these days, benefits (?) of a litigious society. I advise folks to use a common computer program, (word processor/spread sheet) and list those items and their serial numbers. Save the file and email to yourself, leaving it in your Inbox. If you are victimized, you should be able to quickly retrieve this information and provide it to the authorities for entry into NCIC. I’m not saying that this will get your property back but it gives you a fighting chance. Without the serial number, there is virtually no chance.

The motion sensor activated hunting cameras are also a good idea but it helps to have them at eye level. Having them high in the rafters will only show the tops of their heads. Not very good for identification purposes. IR cameras mounted at the exit, facing back in is the optimum location as it will catch their faces as they exit.

Also, make certain that the resolution is high enough that the images can be enlarged without pixilation.

And finally, I’m glad that you and yours were not there to be hurt. Things can be replaced, people cannot.
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your break in.

When traveling The DW and I lock the coach when we are in it and leave it unlocked when we are away. We have dogs so if anything happens we want them rescued.

If someone tries to enter to take something I'm sure barking dogs will send them looking for an easier target.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As they said: Locks keep honest folks out.. Well hidden cameras feeding a signal to a remote "Server" help keep dishonest people IN... Jail that is.

There was a case a few years ago of repeated vandalisim to a house.. Well the man put a strip of corrorgated paper product (What most folks call cardboard.. It's not, Card board is what they make cards out of) with a small hole in it, about 2" in diamater.

Behind the hole, A good video camera

Now appearing in Court.. The resulting video. .. And the Stars of said video.

(Well, they appeared in court). Kind of hard to deny when it's your mug the camera shot.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
As they said: Locks keep honest folks out.. Well hidden cameras feeding a signal to a remote "Server" help keep dishonest people IN... Jail that is.

There was a case a few years ago of repeated vandalisim to a house.. Well the man put a strip of corrorgated paper product (What most folks call cardboard.. It's not, Card board is what they make cards out of) with a small hole in it, about 2" in diamater.

Behind the hole, A good video camera

Now appearing in Court.. The resulting video. .. And the Stars of said video.

(Well, they appeared in court). Kind of hard to deny when it's your mug the camera shot.

LOLOL Well Said!! Unfortunately their appearance (read incarceration) never seems to be long enough. Not to worry, they book a repeat performance soon enough.

lolol
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #23

A few years back I left the keys to my toyhauler at home, and showed up at the racetrack an hour before my session with no way to get in.

Borrowed a drill and it took less than 3 minutes, and I was being careful not to goober it up such that it would be repairable later.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door