Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Road chemicals

Just went to my daughters in Sequim WA. Going through the hills the State must have used some kind of chemical on the roads as all my Alcoa wheels have corrosion wherever the road spray hit them. Got them washed today but I'm going to have to polish them again. I used to work for the WA DOT and we didn't use chemicals on the roadway then, something must have changed!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Just went to my daughters in Sequim WA. Going through the hills the State must have used some kind of chemical on the roads as all my Alcoa wheels have corrosion wherever the road spray hit them. Got them washed today but I'm going to have to polish them again. I used to work for the WA DOT and we didn't use chemicals on the roadway then, something must have changed!
Things have just gone to hell in a hand basket since you left Mr. D.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about Washington state, but here in Texas TXDOT has started "pre treating" roadways with a variety of chemicals including Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Magnesium Acetate. These are supposed to slow or prevent the roadway icing up. They can make a mess of things.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

The pretreat chemicals eat everything up including wiring harnesses after enough exposure. It is some nasty stuff.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
WSDOT usually uses liquid IceBAN, which is Magnesium Chloride to both pretreat. On icy roads, they sometimes use a mixture of IceBAN (dry) and sand.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yep the idiots in charge love their pre treatment and brag on their ability to coordinate all the different yards to apply at the same time to cover all the hiways. They apply even for frost prevention..The State Patrol and EMS providers hate the stuff. It is slick after application and leaves a glossy sheen for a long time..I use Mothers polish and a buffing wheel to get my rims back to a shine. And a shot of hot wax at the car or truck wash before hitting the roads will make it easier to remove in the future... That stuff is hard on all shiny surfaces and corrodes all metals the softer the metal the worse it will be. So mag wheels and aluminum suffer the most..
I have seen that stuff drip off our fire trucks and ambulances back at the station and leave a hard residue on the floor we have to scrap off with a metal scraper..
I remember back in the 80's Colorado only plowed and didn't use salt or sand on the roads at least in the Craig and Grand Junction area....Dang I miss those days..
You can avoid a lot of that crud by leaving on I-5 and heading south but you will eventually run into some hills that use the junk.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Opps I see you are from Vancouver so you probably traveled I-5. I didn't think they would use it on that route..
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Yeah, I too have noticed that they are using more chemicals. Much different than when I did a lot of cross-state traveling in the 60s and 70s.

In fact, reading their "Snow and Ice Plan for 2016-2017" they actually state that fact:
Quote:
Since the early 1990ís, the WSDOT Snow and Ice program has increased its use of chemical anti-icers and deicers as an alternative to sand and other abrasives. This trend follows industry research and publications that have indicated sand can create air quality issues and contributes to stream degradation. Further, it is well known that sand, on its own, does not have ice melting properties and can only enhance traction if it sticks to existing snow and ice that has bonded to the roadway surface. Chemical deicers prevent the bond between snow and ice and the roadway surface and either by themselves, or in combination with sand, are a much more effective treatment strategy than sand alone. Industry research and publications suggest that deicing chemicals are often the better option, because they are considered to be a pro-active, rather than reactive winter maintenance strategy, and therefore more effective for keeping or returning the roadway to bare pavement during and after inclement weather.
(the plan intro where the quote came from is attached)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SnowIcePlanIntro.pdf (253.5 KB, 46 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here in BC they call it Brine. I don't know what it is exactly but probably the same. They coat all the roads when they are dry. When the road gets wet it gets on your windows and leaves a smeary mess that windshield wiper fluid hardly cuts it. I can see it being hard on the wheels for sure. Hard on everything for that matter.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You all should be glad your respective agencies at least try to use less harmful stuff. In Massachusetts the state still uses primarily good old fashioned rock salt. Everything corrodes-- not just vehicles, but anything near the roadway. All highway bridge structures are rusted, need paint about every year. Don't get it, but need it. Salt. There's no nice landscaping along any sizable road in MA. Just bare hardscrabble dirt back 6-8 ft from pavement edge. Salt.
How much rock salt, you ask? Check the pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1483087218.037188.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	147796
This is just off Boston Harbor. Tens of thousands of tons of rock salt, ready to go. Big piles. Blow up the pic and you'll see a couple of dozen trucks working on top of the pile on the left. Really big piles. Every ounce of that salt and more will be on the ground of eastern Mass before the winter's over, and ships will be replenishing the pile by late Feb.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:03 AM   #11

Back in the 70s and 80a the folks learned to drive and got a license and insurance to do it.

Nowdays all you need is a car.

With untrained, under insured drivers, the " Officals " need to keep people from crashing and killing others and then suing the towns.

Chemicals on the road is one of the prices we pay for their freedoms.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote