Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Road side assistance

Looking to get a road side assistance policy. I have Progressive insurance with roadside, but it does not seem to cover much. Coach Net seems to be the best value. At least in the advertising.
Would like to hear from others about what plans they have and have they been satisfied with the service there plan provided when they needed it most.
I have been on this site for almost one year now and I value the info here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalem View Post
Looking to get a road side assistance policy. I have Progressive insurance with roadside, but it does not seem to cover much. Coach Net seems to be the best value. At least in the advertising.
Would like to hear from others about what plans they have and have they been satisfied with the service there plan provided when they needed it most.
I have been on this site for almost one year now and I value the info here.
Coachnet was always the ticket, but since they've raised their prices out of sight, I last went with Good Sam with one of their two year specials. Have yet to use them, so can't comment on service. Even with CN in the past, we had to do a little homework of our own for the best service. All well and good as long as they payed and they did, so.....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Iíve been using CoachNet for 12 years. I have been very happy with them. They have RV techs that can help you with problems. They are fast getting roadside assistance to you. What I like most is that once they get involved they are in contact with you until your issue is resolved.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #4

Coachnet, still the best.

I've owned GS too and that wasn't good, terrible in fact. Two out of three times they sent the wrong truck for the job. And from what I read, it's even worse now. AAA my brother owns and that's fine if you don't roam in your RV too far as if you get out of their 'zone' where you bought it, you're not treated very well by the contractors. Those roadside service riders you can get with your insurance policies are for the most part, worthless as when you call in, they rarely know what to do for you...sending a regular tire truck or tow truck to your giant RV for instance.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Sam took care of us twice, so we stay with them. But I don’t like that I pay $100 more per year than new users. Thanks for being a loyal customer, here’s your price increase.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvw613 View Post
Good Sam took care of us twice, so we stay with them. But I donít like that I pay $100 more per year than new users. Thanks for being a loyal customer, hereís your price increase.
That is my experience with every insurance company I have used, not roadside but actual insurance.
Great rates to get you in the door than raise the rates every year.
The thanks we get for being claim free and paying timely. Guess they think we dont look at our policies and just let autopay take care of it.
Loyality isnt in their vocabulary.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think there's a dime's worth of difference in any of them! I have GS right now, but will be changing to FMCA at renewal time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #8

We have Good Sam for roadside assistance. On our most recent trip in a we experienced a transmission problem and limped into a campground. Called Good Sam for a tow. The next day they started to find a tow company that could tow our 36' Winnebago to their selected repair facility. Found one the next day and arranged the tow.
Once we were hooked up and on the way the tow company looked at the selected repair company on Google Maps. They determined that there was no way that the tow truck and the motor-home would be able to access the facility (30 feet of tow truck and 36 feet of motor-home).
We called Good Sam to authorize an additional ten mile tow to a Freightliner facility. No way, the extra 10 miles would be our expense. It did not mater that the nearer facility was not a feasible repair facility since we could not get the motor-home onto their location.
We were not very happy. As an aside the selected repair facility had great reviews repairing Subaru's and the like but no mention of motor-homes.

The tow company did drive the next 10 miles at no charge but the attitude of Good Sam is why they have such a difficult time finding a tow company to work for them if it requires a large tow truck.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenjo View Post
We have Good Sam for roadside assistance. On our most recent trip in a we experienced a transmission problem and limped into a campground. Called Good Sam for a tow. The next day they started to find a tow company that could tow our 36' Winnebago to their selected repair facility. Found one the next day and arranged the tow.
Once we were hooked up and on the way the tow company looked at the selected repair company on Google Maps. They determined that there was no way that the tow truck and the motor-home would be able to access the facility (30 feet of tow truck and 36 feet of motor-home).
We called Good Sam to authorize an additional ten mile tow to a Freightliner facility. No way, the extra 10 miles would be our expense. It did not mater that the nearer facility was not a feasible repair facility since we could not get the motor-home onto their location.
We were not very happy. As an aside the selected repair facility had great reviews repairing Subaru's and the like but no mention of motor-homes.

The tow company did drive the next 10 miles at no charge but the attitude of Good Sam is why they have such a difficult time finding a tow company to work for them if it requires a large tow truck.
Hopefully that won't be my experience if I ever need them, otherwise I might be as nice about it, as you were.
I mean, that's just plain stupid and a couple of bad reviews like yours will knock them out of a few customers, costing them money. Just don't get it with some companies that won't go the extra mile to please their customers.
By the way, I signed up with Good Sam this last time around because of CoachNet's escalating prices.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #10

I have coachnet. Had them for several years. I had to call them one time when my exhaust pipe fell and needed a mobile mechanic. Worthless, that's being kind since this is a family website. For towing, I think they are the best. What I went through to get help on the side of the road was a joke. I asked the incompetent excuse for a call center if they would allow me to "review" the service, they never did. I had to wait for a "tech" to call me to find a mobile mechanic. I fixed the pipe myself enough to get home. Two hours later their "tech" called to ask what the problem was. I will use them for towing, but otherwise coachnet isn't worth the money. Oh, they don't pay for tire repairs. Read their contract carefully, the advertising is just that, bullcrap. Having said that, good luck with any of them. These outfits are not in the business to pay out, only to take your money. [moderator edit {
There is a big market for a roadside assistance company. Most don't have a problem in their driveway. But try and find a mobile mechanic out on the road. There is money to be made by an enterprising young person willing to work. Maybe a national directory of mobile mechanics? I know I'd purchase such a directory.
Good example, our gen wouldn't start one day, in Texas I believe. Got a hold of our "roadside" call center who wanted to tow our 45 ft coach to a repair shop. Really? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to dispatch a mobile mechanic? I find this is the mentality of these "roadside assistance" outfits. You call the 800 phone number and get a call center with a minimum wage person on the other end of the call, and it goes downhill from there.
"So let me see if I understand, you want to send a tow truck for a 45 ft motorhome to tow it to a service center hundreds of miles away? Really?" No thanks.
Sorry, I'm sure many have glowing reviews of these outfits. I'm just not one of them. Just be sure you understand what you're buying and what they do not cover.

Roadmiester
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #11

Coach Net. May cost a bit more, but at least you have a better assurance than GS of getting things done correctly.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
... Good example, our gen wouldn't start one day, in Texas I believe. Got a hold of our "roadside" call center who wanted to tow our 45 ft coach to a repair shop. Really? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to dispatch a mobile mechanic? I find this is the mentality of these "roadside assistance" outfits. You call the 800 phone number and get a call center with a minimum wage person on the other end of the call, and it goes downhill from there.
"So let me see if I understand, you want to send a tow truck for a 45 ft motorhome to tow it to a service center hundreds of miles away? Really?" No thanks. ...
Roadmiester
I wouldn't think roadside assistance would cover a generator not starting.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #13

I have used Good Sam for years and just renewed for five more years. This past weekend I had occasion to use them. I was at a rural location for a weekend fishing rodeo. I pulled into a limestone parking lot and sank both axles to the frame. I called G S for a winch out and after a couple of hours, they call to say the closest service able to handle my 40 motorhome was two hundred miles away and was being dispatched to me. I thought that was BS and started calling on my own, but soon found out because of the rural area and drivers out with covid, no one was able or willing to send a truck. One company even told me he could make more money locally and wasn't willing to send his truck for any price. The truck from 200 miles eventually arrived and in less than 30 minutes I was out and he was leaving. Good Sam paid the charges in full and followed up with me to confirm all was good. Very positive experience with Good Sam roadside assistance.

Ronnie
Old 08-10-2021, 08:06 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I had a flat on our trailer last week about 30 miles north of Santa Fe, NM on I 25.. Called coach net. They called back in 40 minutes with name and contact of tow service. Driver called 10 minutes later and said "I'll be there in 20 minutes." Driver arrived 1hr 20min after we called Coach Net. We were back on the road in a total of 90 minutes after we had the flat.

Needless to say, our recent experience with Coach Net was very good.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote