Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
road side assistance mounting new tire

Since my 2012 Thor Daybreak doesn't have a spare tire, I was worried about getting a tire in my size (19.5) in the event I should have a flat in some of the remote locations in the west.* Understand that there is probably lots of places that the road side assistance could call/contract to come out and change the tire, but I was concerned about them having a replacement tire in stock.* Thus, I carry a new, unmounted tire in one of my storage compartments.* Has anyone else done so, and what have you had to pay to have them dismount and mount the tire?* Understand that the road side assistance would cover changing the tire (off and on the MH) but actually mounting the new tire on the rim.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most will only change the tire/wheel combo as part of the service. Dismounting a tire off the rim and installing a new tire is not covered.
The contract will tell you.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

We have a spare in the basement, the last/2nd owner of 17 years said he carried one because it could be difficult to find this coach's tire size in stock and that was from an experience he had on the road in the beginning of his ownership.

We are going to keep the spare in the coach.

CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Most will only change the tire/wheel combo as part of the service. Dismounting a tire off the rim and installing a new tire is not covered.
Do you know which road service, if any, covers mounting the spare on the rim? And which plan?

CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

I don’t think the mounting would be covered but the charge wouldn’t be excessive since the trip is already covered.
My main reason for RSA is they know who to call in the area normally. The businesses who are on their list aren’t the type who gouge you when the get the chance since they want to stay on the list.
Have a friend who had a tow job where they did damage to his coach. The RSA company told him to get it repaired and send the bill to the tow company. They said they will pay quickly since they want to stay on their list of contractors.

Pointrow
Old 11-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #6

Here is Good Sams terms re flats - If you carry the tire you might consider getting a rim and mounting it. Additional weight but wouldn't take up more space. That way you would be covered.

FLAT TIRE SERVICE
A service technician will replace a flat tire with your inflated spare or we’ll tow your vehicle to the nearest professional service center. On occasion and whenever possible, we will make arrangements for the Member to purchase a tire(s) for delivery to the disablement scene. In these cases Good Sam Roadside Assistance will pay for delivery of tire only, Member is responsible for all additional costs including cost of tire(s), mounting, balancing, other parts or labor, tax and any other fees.
Note: Does not include seasonal tire changes. Member responsible for
parts and labor
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

I would think the charge for dismounting and mounting a tire wouldn't exceed $50. Considering the weight savings and the storage of just a tire without a heavy wheel would be well worth the money.
Lynn
Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would like to carry a spare tire, but would not want to give up the storage space!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Wow
This is all news to me. We've been traveling for years and years (around 35 or so) and as of yet, have not had the need for ERS. But, we've carried the insurance for the "Just in case". But, the discussion of whether or not to carry an unmounted spare has been discussed on here a zillion times and, I have never, ever heard that roadside service DOES NOT mount a tire on a wheel. I have always heard that they will bring a new tire, to put on YOUR WHEEL.

With the correct tire irons, an experienced tire person can dismount a 22.5" in a matter of a couple of minutes. If you take just a couple of minutes and watch this video, you'll see an experienced person do it.

I'll have to check with our road side service to see what their rules and guide lines are.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #10

I just bought a 1997 Southwind 32V. The spare tire is on my rig is located in the rear and cranks up or down with an on board winch. I replaced all of my old tires with new including a new spare.
Magnafique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #11

Huh?

Saaaaaay, FIRE UP? What kind of sorcery is this in the video?

I have NEVER seen a tire come off a wheel so easily. Is it the difference between a steel wheel and aluminum? What was the liquid he applied to the bead before dismounting the tire? Something done during the original installation?

I struggle for hours before I give up and haul the whole mess down to the local garage. I realize the guy is a pro, but honestly, he could put tire machine companies out of business single handedly if his technique got out.

What's his secret?
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #12

I watched a tire service come to a neighbor at our RV park and he dismounted and remounted a new tire for their Monaco coach in less than 10 minutes with tire irons. Looked pretty straightforward.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
Saaaaaay, FIRE UP? What kind of sorcery is this in the video?

I have NEVER seen a tire come off a wheel so easily. Is it the difference between a steel wheel and aluminum? What was the liquid he applied to the bead before dismounting the tire? Something done during the original installation?

I struggle for hours before I give up and haul the whole mess down to the local garage. I realize the guy is a pro, but honestly, he could put tire machine companies out of business single handedly if his technique got out.

What's his secret?
His secret is PRACTICE!

The video was shot during hot weather. Remounting a tire in 40 degree weather adds a new degree of difficulty. The lubricant may either Ru-Glide or some use a mixture of cheap dishwashing soap in a antifreeze jug. Some create their own mixture. Many times they get a base rate plus a per piece commission. I saw one truck built to service three trucking companies. The tire jockey didn't use the tire machine in the truck, he did it on the ground. He said it took as long to put it on the machine as it did to change with the spoons.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Agree.

I carry a unmounted spare. Twice have had to use it. Yes, charged to install it to the wheel. Also had one coach with a mounted spare - EMS installed without additional charge.

Another time I found on preflight a very low tire - EMS found a nail in the tread - paid additional as they removed from the wheel and patched from the inside and remounted.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote