RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Splitting hairs. The REAL concern is the weight.
Not always.
US 64 in North Carolina has a weight restriction of 12 tons IIRC, as listed online in the NCDOT site, and my GPS would go berserk everytime I approached home, demanding I detour, etc, etc,. When I finally called the state authority on roads and their restrictions, the agent confirmed that yes there was a restriction, but it was for "thru trucks" and that it did not apply to RVs /motorhomes.
If a road or bridge has a weight limit, then of course that applies to all vehicles. In any case one should research the issue to determine just what is the restriction.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Splitting hairs. The REAL concern is the weight.

It's no more 'splitting hairs' than having two speed limits, one for trucks, one for everybody else.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #17

I always figure if it's posted at 8 tons, it's good for at least 16 tons. 2 vehicles going each direction simultaneously on bridge. Plus with your long wheelbase, you probably won't have your whole coach on the bridge at once. Just saying!
Old 08-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
It's no more 'splitting hairs' than having two speed limits, one for trucks, one for everybody else.

Hmmm. True that. Got me there!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I've yet to find a weight restriction that didn't mention "truck" and / or "commercial vehicle".

A motorhome is a 'passenger vehicle' not a commercial vehicle.
Good luck with THAT argument if you are overweight! Hope your bank account can stand it.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
Good luck with THAT argument if you are overweight! Hope your bank account can stand it.

There is no "luck" involved, it's no different than as mentioned above, speed limits. If I'm driving a 5 ton truck in Michigan the speed limit is 65 mph, if I'm driving a motorhome on a 5 ton chassis the speed limit is 75 mph because it's a 'passenger vehicle' not a 'commercial vehicle'.

The County road I live on is a load restricted road year-round, the wording of that restriction says "Commercial vehicles that weigh over five tonnes per axle need a Load Exemption Permit to travel on roads with year round weight restrictions.".

I confirmed, in writing, with the County that I did not require a permit because I was not a 'commercial vehicle'. They replied that that was correct and that the weight limit was only to restrict commercial truck traffic using those routes.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
You all are forgetting, when a road is posted 8 tons, that is axle weight. So for the OPs 44 foot rig, that would be 8 tones or 16000 lbs on the steering axle, plus 16000 on the drive axle plus 16000 on the tag axle for a total of 48,000 lbs. And it all has to do with how well the road bed was constructed to support that kind of weight. Now I know he doesn't actually have 16000 lbs on this steering or tag axle, but that's how the thought process works.

Bridges are a different story and ARE restricted by total weight.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #22

Drove across a 5 Ton limit "bridge" in NW Atlanta in June to detour for Interstate construction. Other signs said "No Trucks Beyond this Point"

The bridge turned out to basically be a large asphalt covered culvert.

Had the family asking me how heavy was our MH. 24,000 lbs.

BTW - we made it!

Now if it had been a swinging bridge.....................
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight