Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #15

I have been using my Roadmaster Falcon II for two years, it never failed, but was to hard to release if I was not absolutely straight and level. My new system; I have ordered a Blue Ox Alpha for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler and I am going to the M&G Brake System. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #16

tow bar tension on disconnect

Just a quick tip that I picked up somewhere on releasing the tension on tow bar arms at disconnect. I have a Roadmaster Sterling, purchased in 2003. And that tip is to start your tow car and turn the steering wheel to full lock. I can't recall which way to turn the steering wheel depending on whether you out of parallel either left or right. But it does work to significantly reduce that lock force. Try it.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #17

While you can mix and match tow bars and base plates, I prefer the Blue Ox baseplate andthere is almost nothing to see. the tow bar attachment. It is easy to pull the tow connections and the
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #18

my vote for roadmaster. have been to factory and very impressed with quality. i have the roadmaster steerlng and as long as you clean and lube it ,it works great.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Wow, so many opinions. I've towed an Explorer (4800lbs) with
BlueOx aventa for 80,000 miles over 7 years without any issues.
I do have it serviced every other year, keep it covered when not
being used, and keep it clean when needed. I prefer the Blue Ox
system in that there is nothing left on the toad when disconnected.
It is also very easy to connect, in fact my 10 year old grand kid
can do it in 3-4 minutes.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
RV Geeks were sold on RoadMaster after using another brand for many years. They did a great video on it.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #21

50,000 miles with Roadmaster Sterling. Great tow bar with no wires or cables dangling as there are channels for them. Easy to hook and unhook. Drive a few feet and both arms lock. Highly recommend. If fully disconnected there are no components left on the car other than the base plate.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
HIGHLY recommend the Roadmaster Blackhawk. An additional positive point for the Roadmaster is that it can be disconnected without the coach and tow having to be in the same straight line.

We just had the Roadmaster Blackhawk II (10k lbs) tow bar/hitch setup together with the SMI Air Force I brake sys. installed on our new 2016 Jeep GC 4x4 Summit and it all works seamlessly well, easy to hook up & release, quality goods well engineered to last.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1402.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	140977

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	140978

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	140979

Name:	IMG_1438.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	140980
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Used Blue Ox since 1999

I have used the same Blue Ox tow bar since 1999. 2 different base plates (99 Saturn SL2 and 2009 Saturn VUE). No problems but could not find a baseplate installer for the VUE. Wife and I installed it ourselves using Blue Ox's instructions.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #24

Like the Blue Ox Avail. Blue Ox baseplate is a nice clean install. The Avail is non binding so no worries about being level or turned. Better turning radius than most others too. Very simple to setup and disconnect.
Happy with my decision to go Blue Ox
Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpib1 View Post
I have been using my Roadmaster Falcon II for two years, it never failed, but was to hard to release if I was not absolutely straight and level. My new system; I have ordered a Blue Ox Alpha for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler and I am going to the M&G Brake System. JH
maybe you didn't do it right? i have the same unit and never had a hard time on con/discon for 4 years. the key is - i use a string to hold the levers up and drive my car forward a little. it guarantees a loose-up.

back to the po question, there will never be short of praises in either camp - pride of ownership may come to play. the determining point is - which has less occurrences of broken failure. toad being orphaned and wandering on the highway is no fun...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
My N=1 with Blue Ox Aventa on first trip, about 1200 miles travelled. Buyer beware.

Can you provide more information on what occurred?
What type of vehicle were you towing?
Approximate weight?
Sharp turn?
Towing straight?
Safety cables functioned as designed?
Speed at time of incident?
I am assuming that you contacted the company, what was their response?
Was their any inspection of the failed system? Metallurgy etc?

I really appreciate the pictures, but without context, they are pretty much just pretty pictures! Oh, by the way, my background is Aviation Safety and Accident Investigation.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micpib1 View Post
I have been using my Roadmaster Falcon II for two years, it never failed, but was to hard to release if I was not absolutely straight and level.
I've had the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain for 2 years [14K miles] & it works great. The manual says you don't have to be perfectly straight, but like micfib1 experience says other wise. It's rated for 6000 lbs and we tow a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited that weights 4500 lbs. So far it has been great, just make sure you're straight before releasing the latches. Highly recommended.
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Just a quick tip that I picked up somewhere on releasing the tension on tow bar arms at disconnect. I have a Roadmaster Sterling, purchased in 2003. And that tip is to start your tow car and turn the steering wheel to full lock. I can't recall which way to turn the steering wheel depending on whether you out of parallel either left or right. But it does work to significantly reduce that lock force. Try it.
this does work.

Tags
blue ox