RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 04:56 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roadmaster spare tire carrier

I recently bought this used carrier on a garage sale for $75. It is not the correct one for my ford chassis which has 19.5" wheels but for that price I will make an adapter plate. I can't find a part/model number on it and I have searched the internet but can't find it. It must be an old style. Does anyone know the model number or vehicle fitment? It has larger lug bolts and bolt circle than my Ford and may be for 22.5" wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9436.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	301296
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 06:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This must be an older version as the ones now fit multiple size wheel patterns.
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-5712.pdf

Should be easy to make an adapter plate but check to make sure that if you could move the bolts to the other holes.

You got a heck of a deal.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #3

I haven't seen one like that - I would contact Roadmaster and send them a pic, ask for a datasheet on that model.
I have the newer version and it self locks when vertical - I carry a mounted 22.5". The model you have might be for a passenger tire, based on the height of the lock pin (with cotter key). Does it have a extendable rod for leverage?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I haven't seen one like that - I would contact Roadmaster and send them a pic, ask for a datasheet on that model.
I have the newer version and it self locks when vertical - I carry a mounted 22.5". The model you have might be for a passenger tire, based on the height of the lock pin (with cotter key). Does it have a extendable rod for leverage?
Yes, I have the rod extension, the minimum bolt circle is larger than my 19.5" Ford wheels and the lug bolts are larger diameter. It has to be for the larger 22.5" wheels only or bigger. I may contact Roadmaster but will probably just make an adapter plate and use it that way . I thought someone on this forum might recognize it from the photo.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #5

Roadmaster makes several spare tire carriers. Some are lighter weight carriers than others. This one doesnít appear to be the Class A model carrier as those are designed to hold 19.5 and 22.5 wheels. If itís doesnít fit your bolt pattern thereís a reason why. The larger wheel/tire combos can be 150lbs and up.
RogueGT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
WDW

Iíd suggest some caution using this with a 5K hitch. I bought one, but I found it to be bit it put too much bounce in my hitch with the towed. I think this is ideal for a larger DP.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I’d suggest some caution using this with a 5K hitch. I bought one, but I found it to be bit it put too much bounce in my hitch with the towed. I think this is ideal for a larger DP.
X2 on making sure the hitch can handle the weight - my mounted tire plus the 70 lbs of the carrier places 220 lbs straight down on the hitch - all the bouncing and jerking from the towed and before you know it, this could happen like it did to me. The weight snapped 2 of the 4 bolts of the hitch (the 2 closest to the towed). Come to find out the factory only installed a 4k hitch on this coach back in '97.

I later had a custom hitch made, with heavier material, that not only bolts to the bottom of the frame but also 3 places on the side of each frame and hooks over the top of the frame. A great 10k rated hitch.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster