Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Roaming couch

I have a L shaped couch in my motorhome that we have to push in the L part before we bring in slide. However, it will not click lock and comes open and slams shut as we travel down the road. Back and forth. It seems as if the catch has another inch it should travel to connect but the main body of the couch stops it. I have had the dealer look at it and no luck. Any one have a suggestion or experience?
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #2

If I am understanding this properly the slide doesn't stay closed and opens and closes a little bit while traveling?? If so take it back to the dealer or try another dealer. You don't want to damage your slide or components. You are correct. It is a major issue!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Your dealer has a very poor service dept. if it can’t adjust the latch. I think I had to adjust mine when we had the 2017 with the L couch but can’t remember much about the adjustment.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

Is it a Flexsteel? It would help if we had more details. Year make model etc....Meanwhile figure out a way to secure it while traveling...bungee etc.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
If I am understanding this properly the slide doesn't stay closed and opens and closes a little bit while traveling?? If so take it back to the dealer or try another dealer. You don't want to damage your slide or components. You are correct. It is a major issue!
It is the slide end of couch, not coach slide. Yes, if it was coach slide I definately be camped at dealer until repaired. Thanks for concern.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
Is it a Flexsteel? It would help if we had more details. Year make model etc....Meanwhile figure out a way to secure it while traveling...bungee etc.
Not sure if Flexsteel, 2015 Winne Sightseer 35 G. Currently using 2 door stop wedges, but when I turn a corner or exit ramp the wedges slide out with it.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Your dealer has a very poor service dept. if it can’t adjust the latch. I think I had to adjust mine when we had the 2017 with the L couch but can’t remember much about the adjustment.
Since it is not under warranty, he doesn't want to fool with it. Claims he would have to disassemble couch and rebuild. He thinks it needs to have a wood spacer block added and reassemble latch over it. He claims there is no adjustment available on latch. I think it is odd that it worked fine for first several years.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #8

I believe Winnebago makes their own couches. Much better quality than what my BIL has in his Holiday Rambler. We also have the L shaped couch and I had to adjust the latch on one of the foot rest. Not a major job at all.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #9

We have an extending counter with this same problem. Our first outing we forgot to push it back in and hit it lightly with the slide when we brought it in. This slightly compromised the latch. We can latch it in the extended position but not the retracted position. I am sure it will be an easy fix once I can ever get into it. However, it appears this was the first piece installed in the bus and they built the entire unit around it. My best plan so far is to remove the jacknife couch beside it and cut an access hole into the side of the kitchen cabinet. Or, I could cut one under the sink but it looks less comfortable to work on it. We've been blocking it closed with a cooler and a pillow and it's not gotten high enough on the project list to tackle as of yet.
I suspect your dealer is correct and your couch will have to be disassembled to make the repair/adjustment.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Have you looked for a latching mechanism. We had an "L" shape couch in our last coach. Over time, it became more difficult to latch. I looked under the couch and there was the latch. A couple minutes to adjust and it closed better than when it was new.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

We had the same condition...We had to take the couch portion loose from the floor. if you look up under the couch, there is a bracket you can see on the "L" portion, it locks when the couch slide is "out". But against the wall of the wall of slide out, mounted to the floor, there is actually a second bracket(p/n 911443-2) so that when you're traveling it will stay locked a "closed" position. The small lever you pull to move the couch slide out has a dual function, one at the Slide out wall and one on the couch slide out. I called THOR, they could not help me, but I did come up with a THOR MOTOR COACH DRAWING (TFN0326), which showed that my Couch is made by LIPPERT, I bet yours is the same. Look on the bottom, take a picture of the "do not remove tag" it's sewn on the bottom of the couch, It's the one like all furniture has that says "to be removed by purchaser only") it will identify what model couch you have, Reach out to lady in Building 91; Ph 574 293-8166, her name is Linda. If you need further info you may reach me by e-mail wernah@msn.com
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Have you looked for a latching mechanism. We had an "L" shape couch in our last coach. Over time, it became more difficult to latch. I looked under the couch and there was the latch. A couple minutes to adjust and it closed better than when it was new.
What or how did you adjust? The only thing I have found adjustable is height of roller leg?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I did contact flexsteel and they sent me 12 pages of diagrams on accessing the bracket. They confirmed I would have to disassemble the couch to replace the locking mechanism. 2-3 hours disassemble and 2 hours reassemble based on mechanical person's ability of following diagrams. Totally remove and flip upside down and remove "L" and then take apart seat cushion section of couch to access locking mechanism.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
First thing I would try it to lubricate the latch if you can get to it with some WD40. Our latch is starting to become more difficult to latch after many iterations where it worked perfectly.