Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Rock guard failure

Last Friday I was crossing the Caloosahatchee river into Fort Myers when a motorhome pulled up beside me and waved me over. We pulled over on the paved shoulder and got out. The rock Guard had come loose on the drivers side and was whipping around. Thanked him kindly and just then a Lee county deputy sheriff pulled up and diverted traffic so I could get tools to remove the rock guard. I removed it and he helped me load lt. The screw chain had completly worn into. Got a couple of stainless to replace. Who would have thunk to check them.
Jim & Tanya Thompson
IBE rv park for the winter
Clinton TN
jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Actually, I check mine a couple of times per year. I pull out the creeper and go from front to back looking for loose hoses and clamps. Missing ty-raps loose bolts but I also do all my own fluid changes and greasing so I'm under there anyway. You may already know this but stainless is not as strong as galvinized or carbon steel but it does look better.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
chuckftboy is right. Stainless is not as strong as galvanized so keep a close eye out and check often.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

I'm going to safety wire mine now, even though it new and add it to my list to check. Maybe even a chain.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Actually safety wire or secondary chain is not a bad idea. When we purchased our coach the last thing I ever thought about checking was the rock guard. Fortunately I discovered that the factory and/or dealer hadn't threaded close the links attaching it to the coach before it could have easily come off. Now I give it a quick check at least once day and a more thorough check when I hook up or detach the toad.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Duo

I use double Clevis with a zip tie through the bolt holes and a 1/8" SS cable......mine Came loose once... never again! It was cold wet and that thing is Heavy
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

Saw your post and I have the same coach. I lost mine in Tennessee last fall but happened to notice it in the camera waving around on the ground in front of my Jeep. I managed to chain it back in place with a spare link that I had, but I noticed that the eyelet on the bottom of the motorhome is nearly worn through. That's on my to-do list this weekend to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfromtn View Post
Last Friday I was crossing the Caloosahatchee river into Fort Myers when a motorhome pulled up beside me and waved me over. We pulled over on the paved shoulder and got out. The rock Guard had come loose on the drivers side and was whipping around. Thanked him kindly and just then a Lee county deputy sheriff pulled up and diverted traffic so I could get tools to remove the rock guard. I removed it and he helped me load lt. The screw chain had completly worn into. Got a couple of stainless to replace. Who would have thunk to check them.
Jim & Tanya Thompson
IBE rv park for the winter
Clinton TN
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Stainless might be weaker but try screwing or drilling into it. I used to have to attach stainless kick plates on doors at work and it was a job to do.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote