Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #1

Rockin through the storm

Sitting in my motorhome, deep dark outside with very thick clouds, high winds and twirling trees, rain pounding down, a perfect fall Pacific North West night. Living in an area called Qualicum Bay on Vancouver Island, BC, out on a point of land just right for that wind swept experience. I don't have my jacks down, waiting for parts from HWH so I don't have the stability benefit they could offer.

Looking forward to tomorrow as a fleet of restored vintage buses and motorhomes are suppose to arrive for their annual Canadian Thanksgiving meet up, which occurs every October.

So what have been your storm experiences living in your Class A?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

I love BC and Vancouver Island. I had a bolt of lightning hit just outside the RV while boondocking near Flagstaff AZ. Needed a fresh underware change.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Hurricane Rita had us moving a bit back in 2005. The storm was supposed to come in to the west of us but being so close to the coast, we knew there would still be some high winds in our area. Took off to the north in the MH and stopped at the state park about 50 miles away. Was awoken the next morning with a knock at the door, the man knocking telling us Rita had turned a bit and that we had to evacuate. Ok, we head up another 50 or so miles to the northeast to end up in a state park in Louisiana. Figured for sure we were good but guess what, had to evacuate again the next day.

Finally wound up in Shreveport where, as our luck would have it, the storm followed to go right over us. Luckily, the winds were down to 40 mph with gusts slightly higher at that point. Even with the jacks down, we felt some rocking going on. Needless to say, was an interesting night for sure...

Oh, and when we did make it back home, found we had a big mess and no water or electricity. Water came back within a week but electricity stayed out for almost a month. Gasoline was hard to come by but we stretched it so that we could run the generator when needed. The motorhome was a life saver!
Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Went through a massive storm summer of 2015 while camped at Buffalo Bill SP outside Cody...

It ripped awnings off neighboring coaches, blew down tents, and just made a total mess of things...

Luckily I saw it coming across the lake and I brought everything in (including slides) and we hunkered down.... It REALLY rock our coach for abt 30 mins or so.... Passed on through and folks started trying to put things back together....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Sitting in my motorhome, deep dark outside with very thick clouds, high winds and twirling trees, rain pounding down, a perfect fall Pacific North West night. Living in an area called Qualicum Bay on Vancouver Island, BC, out on a point of land just right for that wind swept experience. I don't have my jacks down, waiting for parts from HWH so I don't have the stability benefit they could offer.

Looking forward to tomorrow as a fleet of restored vintage buses and motorhomes are suppose to arrive for their annual Canadian Thanksgiving meet up, which occurs every October.

So what have been your storm experiences living in your Class A?
Being we are just over the mountain to the west of you we have had a lot of interesting forays out to the west coast near Ucluelet for storm watching. Our favorite place has been closed for some asinine reason and we miss being able to boondock at Toquaht Bay to storm watch.

At one winter event while I was backing in to my spot in the passenger mirror I could see the flutes and in the drivers side mirror I could see the head of this humongous Orca that was swimming along the beech looking for a way to get at the seals sitting in among the rocks along the shore.

At another storm watching trip we got to watch Bald Eagles swooping down and picking Salmon out of the bay at the site.

How long you going to be there as we could maybe get together for a coffee session.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #6

So after I posted, the winds got worse, the motorhome was moving to the side big time, many many times. Later pine cones and small branches hit the ceiling, the noise was continuous and didn't let up until a little after one in the morning. Went outside expecting to see damage on my unit and car but nothing. However the motorhome was surrounded by small tree debris. I'm always nervous in high wind storms when close to tall trees, even a large branch coming down can have huge consequences to motorhome and life and limb. I almost got up to relocate to a wide open field at the campground, it would be even more open to the wind but no trees close at all. In the end I waited it out then fell asleep to awake to a beautiful clear day and a number of oldie be goldie refurbished buses into motorhomes.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
stay safe and post pictures of the oldie be goldie buses