Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What is "RON" parking?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #30
OCM

I am a dedicated "Walmartian", but there is usually another big box store nearby such as Home Depot, Lowes, grocery, or malls. Since malls are having a hard time of it lately, they make good temporary stopover sites. Just don't try a Baptist Church on Wednesday ( I'll let you figure that one out).
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
RON

This is used by the USN aviation, Return Over Night that when I was in the Navy 1960
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #32

Our surprise was at one in SC. We asked the front end manager and she said no problem, just park in the well lit area between the the Murphy Oil and the store. I asked her if she meant in the middle of the parking lot (not out of the way) and she said yes, that way the station and store employees would watch out for us and security would probably move a camera to watch over us.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
MRUSA14,
You are correct if, IF you park in junk asphalt. Walmart parking lots are commercially built. The substrate that's used is either road base or other prime based substance. If my measly motor home could put dimples in their parking lot, so could dropping 18 wheeler trailer landing gear which, we've seen used many, many times. And we have yet, to see any DIMPLEs in any of their lots.
Scott
I have hauled the pavement to more than one Walmart. Yes, they spec a good base, use a good mix. But, in every one I worked on, the area truck will use add several inches of baserock. And where trucks are expected to park, they do not use asphalt, but concrete.
And sun shining on asphalt, the temp can get high enough for a bottle jack under a car leave a mark. More than once I have stopped on a highway, on a hot day, sat for a while for wreck/construction/whatever, and seen marks from my tires when I pull away. And if a steel plate slides on the surface it can scratch a mark...
One of the things I always hated about hauling into new Walmart. They always wanted to put the roof up, then haul in the rock for under the floor. Maneuver to where the rat wanted the rock piled, open tailgate, lift bed up near beams. Maybe a third comes out. Move so bed can go up between beams, and can dump about half load without hitting other beam....
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #34

I always ask first, usually I'm told to park near the oil change bays after they close. I parked there one evening, awoke next morning surrounded by semi's, and another MH directly behind me. Never heard any of them pull in and set the brakes, we use a white noise machine every night where-ever we are.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #35

Use caution if you stop at the Walmart in WILLIAMS AZ..we went in to shop before our camp stop and someone siphoned 50 gals of gas out..... cops say it happens a lot there

Mark
nyparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Add Cracker Barrel restaurants to the list of places you can park your RV in “most” cases. Best to ask first and buy something or have a meal.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyparrothead View Post
Use caution if you stop at the Walmart in WILLIAMS AZ..we went in to shop before our camp stop and someone siphoned 50 gals of gas out..... cops say it happens a lot there

Mark
Mark,
There's a Walmart in Williams? Been there several times camping at both the Grand Canyon Railway campground and the very, very nice Kaibab Lake National forest campground and for the life of me, I don't remember any Walmarts in or around that town. Where may I ask, is it placed? It's a pretty small town.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Our surprise was at one in SC. We asked the front end manager and she said no problem, just park in the well lit area between the the Murphy Oil and the store. I asked her if she meant in the middle of the parking lot (not out of the way) and she said yes, that way the station and store employees would watch out for us and security would probably move a camera to watch over us.
WOW! That was super nice of her!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I also use the " Pilot Flying J " App to locate Flying J Travel Centers that offer RV parking. The RV spaces ate away from the truck parking area.
Not really. The RV spots are generally up near the store, while the truck spots are to the back. They are pretty well separated and not nearly as open as the truck spaces. I don't think that any of the P/FJ stops we've made ever carved out RV parking from the truck spots. That keeps both groups happy - truckers can't blame the RVers for any loss of space.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! That was super nice of her! [emoji144]
Our very first night in our new to us RV was spent in the Deming, NM Walmart. We were greeted by a Security Guard in a SUV with the flashing yellow lights going. He motioned us to follow him to parking to a good spot among a few other RVs already there.
When we were parked he drove up to the driver's window. I asked him if it was okay to put out a a slide. He said "sure" with a smile, waved, wished us a good night and resumed his patrol.
Best welcome to RVing we ever received.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #41

I too have never noticed a Walmart in Williams AZ. I don't see it on the list I posted either. I remember shopping at both Walmarts in Flagstaff which I believe are the closest stores to Williams. Although both stores in Flagstaff have "NOP" notations, I have noticed RVs staying at one of them.

Some Walmarts I wouldn't want to stay overnight because the area they're in are ones of higher crime. We're originally from the Seattle area and there's a Walmart in the suburb of Renton (where Boeing 737s are made) that I don't think I'd want to stay overnight although the general area is getting a bit better in recent years. They are a NOP store anyway. However, when traveling in an unfamiliar location, you can't really tell if it's higher crime area or not.

But it's good to hear stories about being treated well at Walmarts because there are some horror stories too. And we know from previous threads on this subject that there are quite a few who just plain won't do it.

I see more signs at Walmarts similar to THIS ONE but still see RVs staying overnight and that have no "NOP" designation on the list so I assume the store managers must permit it if permission is asked.

However, there are signs like THIS ONE where the store makes it clear and obvious that they do not allow it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
However, there are signs like THIS ONE where the store makes it clear and obvious that they do not allow it.
And this is why:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walmart%20Class%20B.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	241108Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180806_163029830.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	241109Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracker%20Barrel%20Class%20C2.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	241112Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracker%20Barrel%20TT2.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	241113Click image for larger version

Name:	Walmart%20RV%20trash1.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	241114

These are just a very few that I bothered to photograph. The 20%ers are definitely ruining a good thing for the 80%ers. We all pay the price for the actions of a few but we are not helpless unless we choose to be.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote