Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
The only bad part(s) about Quacker Barrel is often the RV spaces are too short for almost anything with a Toad or a mid-large DP.
Every Cracker Barrel I have stopped at has parking in the rear with about a half dozen spaces wider and longer than spaces intended for cars. They are clearly marked with yellow paint and the words "RV-BUS" in each space. They are 45 feet long, the legal maximum for tour busses and RVs.
My 40' long coach is 44' long with the motorcycle carrier on the back and fits nicely. With the tow dolly attached our rig is 51' long and if the toad is on the dolly the rig is 61' long. Too big.
If we plan to eat and run(no, not dine and dash) I look for enough empty spaces against the curb at the back of the property for a quick lunch or dinner. They are usually available.
If we arrive at dinner time and plan on staying overnight I remove the toad from the dolly and the dolly from the coach. I then attach the dolly to the toad and put them both into a car parking space. Most big bubba pickups are longer than our toad with dolly. Backing the dolly has become second nature. The back up camera helps.
We then go in for a nice dinner, have a nice chat with the manager, have a good night's sleep and usually go back in for breakfast before hooking up and hitting the road.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #72

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Every Cracker Barrel I have stopped at has parking in the rear with about a half dozen spaces wider and longer than spaces intended for cars. They are clearly marked with yellow paint and the words "RV-BUS" in each space.
Except that you will often find cars, vans or pickups parked there making RV parking impossible. Walmarts don’t have this problem.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Except that you will often find cars, vans or pickups parked there making RV parking impossible.
So true. What really bugs me is when the RVer's toad is the car using another RV-BUS space making it unavailable for a tired late-arriving RV driver.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Every Cracker Barrel I have stopped at has parking in the rear with about a half dozen spaces wider and longer than spaces intended for cars. They are clearly marked with yellow paint and the words "RV-BUS" in each space. They are 45 feet long, the legal maximum for tour busses and RVs.
My 40' long coach is 44' long with the motorcycle carrier on the back and fits nicely. With the tow dolly attached our rig is 51' long and if the toad is on the dolly the rig is 61' long. Too big.
If we plan to eat and run(no, not dine and dash) I look for enough empty spaces against the curb at the back of the property for a quick lunch or dinner. They are usually available.
If we arrive at dinner time and plan on staying overnight I remove the toad from the dolly and the dolly from the coach. I then attach the dolly to the toad and put them both into a car parking space. Most big bubba pickups are longer than our toad with dolly. Backing the dolly has become second nature. The back up camera helps.
We then go in for a nice dinner, have a nice chat with the manager, have a good night's sleep and usually go back in for breakfast before hooking up and hitting the road.

what is a big bubba pickup?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #75

Joe & Annette, "RON" is a military term "Remain Over Night". When traveling essentially a one night stop!
BarnicleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #76

Thanks to all who replied. Great info and lots of great recommendations to track which Walmarts do/don't. We plan on utilizing some while adhering to the Walmart etiquette!
BarnicleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #77
Dom

Quote:
More like inconsiderate people, regardless of means, often take up a lot more space than they need. Me, I often pull into a Cracker Barrel just to eat. It would be nice to find a space to park when I do that. I have had to pull out and pass on eating at one of our favorite restaurants for that very reason.
Glad to hear you are so socially aware and responsible though.
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
what is a big bubba pickup?
The biggest, widest, longest pickup a bubba can buy loaded with aftermarket bling bought to impress the girls instead of doing an honest day's work. Often found in Walmart parking lots serving as an obstruction to vision for anyone parked near it.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #79

Quote:
Florence SC and one on I-75 above Tampa must be the exceptions. I had to D/C the toad and dolly in Fl and used other spaces against the curb in Florence.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #80

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
generator running at overnight Walmart/Cracker Barrel stays? Is that a big no no? We just bought a toy hauler with onboard generator so this is new to us
It certainly depends on the location. Generally no one will have trouble using a generator but stopping during the time most people sleep, maybe 9 pm to 7 am. However we have stopped overnight in Missouri in late June when the temp was still 90 degrees at 10:00. Everyone in the lot (7 or 8 of us) ran generators (RVs) or engines (semis) all night. Semis rather routinely run their engines all night year around. That is the only time we have had to run a generator overnight, but we don’t travel often in hot climates that need AC. Generally I try to find a campground if I need AC, but there just wasn’t one available along our route that time. You do what you need to do, just try being polite.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Florence SC and one on I-75 above Tampa must be the exceptions. I had to D/C the toad and dolly in Fl and used other spaces against the curb in Florence.
As someone who has priced real estate at a soon to become busy Interstate freeway exit I learned it can be very pricey and the demand is high. Some CBs may not have been able to aquire all the land they would like.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
It certainly depends on the location. Generally no one will have trouble using a generator but stopping during the time most people sleep, maybe 9 pm to 7 am. However we have stopped overnight in Missouri in late June when the temp was still 90 degrees at 10:00. Everyone in the lot (7 or 8 of us) ran generators (RVs) or engines (semis) all night. Semis rather routinely run their engines all night year around. That is the only time we have had to run a generator overnight, but we don’t travel often in hot climates that need AC. Generally I try to find a campground if I need AC, but there just wasn’t one available along our route that time. You do what you need to do, just try being polite.
I agree with this and the earlier guidance about it being more art than science. Personally, my "quiet hours" are 10P - 8A, but YMMV. The main rule is be aware and be considerate.

If you expect to run your generator overnight and the parking lot is pretty empty, consider either parking a little bit away from other RV's or towards any semis running their generators.. It's not always possible, but would be appreciated by your fellow RV'ers. Several times I've been woken by big DP's that pulled into a nearby space and then ran their generator all night. Please don't be like them. Enjoy your travels!
rv7630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
BarnicleBill, I've been a member of a Yahoo Group that's called WalmartRVing for over 15 -years. It's just one of many sources that discuss and compile the list of Walmarts that allow overnight parking for RVers. The list gets shorter every year because of a variety of problems for which we really can't blame Walmart.

I've attached the most updated list dated 3/21/2019. However, if you'd like to keep getting updates, join the group ...go HERE

As others have said, there have been dozens of threads here at iRV2 (as well as other RV forums) discussing this. I'll give you a link of the google search page on threads on iRV2 that discuss this if you're interested going through previous conversations here on this forum.

walmart iRV2 site:www.irv2.com
The RV community owes a *big* thanks to groups like this who compile, update, and freely distribute this sort of data.

Comparing the current list to one from Oct-2016, an additional 129 Walmarts have become NOP. That's 1 per week and a 14.1% increase while net stores increased 1.4%. Over 1 in every 4 WM's are now NOP.

It's true that sometimes parking is allowed (tolerated?) even when signs say otherwise, but not always. I spoke with one manager who claimed the local police had been giving out tickets to overnight RV'ers. Has anyone else heard or experienced the same?
rv7630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7630 View Post
The RV community owes a *big* thanks to groups like this who compile, update, and freely distribute this sort of data.

Comparing the current list to one from Oct-2016, an additional 129 Walmarts have become NOP. That's 1 per week and a 14.1% increase while net stores increased 1.4%. Over 1 in every 4 WM's are now NOP.

It's true that sometimes parking is allowed (tolerated?) even when signs say otherwise, but not always. I spoke with one manager who claimed the local police had been giving out tickets to overnight RV'ers. Has anyone else heard or experienced the same?
Hi rv7630. Yes, I think many of us have "heard" of citations being issued at some locations. I'm not sure of that myself but as the various posts in this thread have indicated, the majority of Walmarts that have NOP policies are because of local ordinances prohibiting such practices. Therefore, if breaking those particular laws, I guess the RVer could be cited ...I don't know.

There was a discussion on one forum where somebody said that it was the store that could be cited for allowing overnight parking if there is an ordiance prohibiting it and NOT the individual doing the parking. It's private property and Walmart would have to call the police in order to have the offending party cited for trespassing if refusing to leave because local ordinances prohibiting it. I'll leave it to others that are more versed on the law to comment if this is correct or not.

But as I indicated in another post, in talking with Walmart managers, I've gathered that some stores will prohibit overnight parking because of problems they have experienced even though NO local ordinances prohibit it. And even though it is the policy of Walmart corporate offices to permit and even encourage one-night overnight parking for RVers, I've gathered that ultimately, it is the decision of the local store management as to what they want to allow. For instance, if they have a lot of RVers or overnighters abusing the welcome because of a variety of reasons, they can override the corporate policy and prohibit it at that particular store.

That's why many of the posts here have indicated that even though you see those NOP signs posted or a store is designated as such, many times if you call the store manager or go inside and ask to meet with the manager in charge at the time to at least ask about their policy at that particular location, many times they will allow you to spend the night and often will put you in a designated area of the parking lot where they more easily can monitor the activity in that section.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote