Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roof A/C

Trouble with cooling a 2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36SB Class A with two 13,500 AC. Has any one had this problem? To reduce heat build up from the sun, I have painted the AC cover, from black to white. Cleaned the coils and straighten out any bent fins. Painted the dark color trim around the top edge of the roof. Added a larger cooling fan to the back of the refrigerator to pull the heat from the unit. This has help a hole lot but still not cooling the inside on a sunny day.
I am thinking of removing the front room 13,500 AC and replacing it with a 15,000, or installing a third 13,500 AC, but a third AC would put a larger amp load on the 50amp connection.
The question is, has anyone added a larger AC or added a third AC to there RV, and did it fix the cooling problem?
John Siebert
JohnSiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #2

Have you measured air temp differences?

Return air vs discharge air temps>........hopefully 18*F-20*F difference

IF NOT....then warm return air is mixing with cool discharge air/plenum--return area not sealed for each other.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #3

we have found that in the arizona summer when we use two sets of blinds on all windows has made a huge difference and along with leaving the settings on Auto, a tech told me these units don't preform well on high cool, go figure,hope this helps, YOU CANT GET LOST IF YOU DONT CARE WERE YOUR GOING
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Before you go to the expense of adding or modifying the A/Cs, get a set of exterior sun screens. If you can stop the sun from getting inside the windows you can reduce the heat load by a large percentage. MagneShade and SunProMfg are two great sources for screens
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #5

Lt. Dan is right.

Even if you have lived a life of celibacy you cannot expect any more than about eighteen degrees drop in temp from outside to inside. If you are in Phoenix in the summer time (and I don't see why anyone would be) you wont get the inside temp comfortable during the hottest part of the day.

You don't say where you want the temp to be inside the rig. If you expect 70 degrees then it cant be any hotter than a max of 90- out. That is if everything is working perfectly.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSiebert View Post
Trouble with cooling a 2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36SB Class A with two 13,500 AC. Has any one had this problem? To reduce heat build up from the sun, I have painted the AC cover, from black to white. Cleaned the coils and straighten out any bent fins. Painted the dark color trim around the top edge of the roof. Added a larger cooling fan to the back of the refrigerator to pull the heat from the unit. This has help a hole lot but still not cooling the inside on a sunny day.
I am thinking of removing the front room 13,500 AC and replacing it with a 15,000, or installing a third 13,500 AC, but a third AC would put a larger amp load on the 50amp connection.
The question is, has anyone added a larger AC or added a third AC to there RV, and did it fix the cooling problem?
John Siebert

John, may folks, previous to this post, have expressed some very valid points. My add to this may not help much but here it goes.
Starting to cool the coach off before you start to feel the heat of the day is most important. As someone has stated, keep the shads down, especially in the drivers area.

Upgrading to 15K units is not a bad idea and could help. Adding a third unit is another option. I have 3 units on my coach and the 50A service handles them fine. You generator would be the thing to be considered. I have to shut off one A/C breaker when on generator. The 8KW generator won't handle the loads.

Hope you can find a way to stay cool.

Happy trails.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just upgraded one of our AC units to a 15k. This new AC is working really well and cools down the interior much faster. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repl...ch-405503.html

I also made an insulated inside windshield cover out of Reflectix. Most of the inside heat on these coaches comes from the windshield.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-1...5-ft-L/3011906
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #8

Depends on where you are located. I had 2 - 13.5k Dometic units in our much older Endeavor. I made some changes that made a difference. Reflectix in the windshield, awnings extended, automobile sunscreens in as many windows as possible, keep all the shades down, park in the shade when possible. Satisfactory in high 90's.

The biggest single change was Reflectix in the windshield ... resulted in a 7 degree drop in/beyond the cockpit.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Lt. Dan is right.

Even if you have lived a life of celibacy you cannot expect any more than about eighteen degrees drop in temp from outside to inside. If you are in Phoenix in the summer time (and I don't see why anyone would be) you wont get the inside temp comfortable during the hottest part of the day.

You don't say where you want the temp to be inside the rig. If you expect 70 degrees then it cant be any hotter than a max of 90- out. That is if everything is working perfectly.
'

That 18*F drop is between the A/C return air and the A/C discharge air temps

Outside air temp DOES impact 'heat load' but even if 100's outside you CAN cool inside down to 70*F

Heat load is amount of heat coming in via windows/roof vents....block that and lower the heat load.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Changing the front A/C to 15K would help, but probably not as much as you might think. I would concentrate on blocking the heat, including window tinting, reflective roof coating, more efficient shades, etc.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The 18 degree temperature differential is not accurate on our new AC. The cold air blowing out of the vents is 47 degrees with a higher volume. Our older AC output air is 55 degrees.
Outside air temp was just over 100. Inside started at 95 and pulled down to 75 in less than an hour.

I can tell you that this new Penguin II 15k heat pump much works better than the older units.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
We bought a role of reflectix at Home Depot. Cut it to fit the inside of the windows. Made a huge difference. Especially in the cab/front. We saw a 24-26 degree drop from outside temp to inside temp.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The 18 degree temperature differential is not accurate on our new AC. The cold air blowing out of the vents is 47 degrees with a higher volume. Our older AC output air is 55 degrees.
Outside air temp was just over 100. Inside started at 95 and pulled down to 75 in less than an hour.

I can tell you that this new Penguin II 15k heat pump much works better than the older units.

The 18 degree number is on the low side. The spec has variations depending on outside air temp and humidity. A typical number is 20 - 23 degree Delta. Your observation is likely to be typical of the new Dometic units which have much better "under the shroud" insulation. The Brisk II unit has something similar to dense styrofoam ... I assume the Penguin II is the same. My old Penguin/DuoTherm had sheetmetal and thin fiberglass batting.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #14

As others mentioned adding the reflectix from Home Depot for the windshield. We also cut out and put on the back wall of all of the cabinets. Worked well in lowering the heat in the cabinets.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof