Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #1

Roof AC compressor

Hi, my roof ac compressor has kicked the bucket, a friend of mine tells me if we can find a compressor he can change it and we are back in business. Does anybody knows where I can buy a replacement compressor for a Duotherm ac?
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #2

…..the common view [with a few exceptions like relays or capacitors] is that roof units aren't repairable, especially if it involves the coolant loop. If you have a qualified refrigeration tech who will help you at a reduced cost--you may be able to "save" some money and repair it. Seems like a properly qualified tech would know where to get a compressor?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #3

RV A/C's are throwaways.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the compressor is dead, your best bet is to replace the A/C unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
Hi, my roof ac compressor has kicked the bucket, a friend of mine tells me if we can find a compressor he can change it and we are back in business. Does anybody knows where I can buy a replacement compressor for a Duotherm ac?
Get up on the roof, take the shroud off, and find the manufacturer's tag on the compressor. Take a pic with your phone (you don't want to have to go back up and do this again...).

Use the internet search of your choice using the Part Number on the tag. If that doesn't work, try any of the numbers that look like they could be part, model, or stock numbers.

My guess is that you'll simply replace the AC unit.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

Typically, small refrigeration appliances (refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier, window AC, and RV rooftop AC) do not have a field serviceable refrigerant system. (Compressor, evaporator, condenser, ect)

The manufacturer does not install service port's to recover/recharge the refrigerant.
They use a specialized pinch then solder method to seal the charge line.

Confirm with your friend, that he understands this is an electric rooftop appliance that is not part of the RV driveline.
He may be thinking it is the engine driven compressor for the dash AC.
wagne223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #7

X2 what Wagne223 said.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #8

I believe you will find they are OEM and not offerd as a separate part. Thats what I found last time I checked. As others have said they are pretty much disposable.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:32 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies, after spending time yesterday searching on cyber world; I came to to the same conclusion that you all have said. I found a company in NY that manufactures compressors for all kinds of appliances i.e ice makers, large ac, etc. But they said never for a roof top rv ac. So, I came to the same conclusion, the good old 20 year old unit has come to the end, problem was it is a heat pump that runs in tandem with the rear unit soooo, In order to do it right I will have to update both units, after calling dometic, I’ve found what model best update my units and went on a search. I found what I need and I will bite the bullet and replace both units and thermostat for new penguin heat pumps. In checking prices for the exact same model number I found a spread in price from $940 at one site all the way to $1850.00 with our friends at CW taking the highest price award. On a positive note to console myself, it is going to be cheaper than getting a new MH.
Once again thanks for all the input.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
Thanks for all the replies, after spending time yesterday searching on cyber world; I came to to the same conclusion that you all have said. I found a company in NY that manufactures compressors for all kinds of appliances i.e ice makers, large ac, etc. But they said never for a roof top rv ac. So, I came to the same conclusion, the good old 20 year old unit has come to the end, problem was it is a heat pump that runs in tandem with the rear unit soooo, In order to do it right I will have to update both units, after calling dometic, I’ve found what model best update my units and went on a search. I found what I need and I will bite the bullet and replace both units and thermostat for new penguin heat pumps. In checking prices for the exact same model number I found a spread in price from $940 at one site all the way to $1850.00 with our friends at CW taking the highest price award. On a positive note to console myself, it is going to be cheaper than getting a new MH.
Once again thanks for all the input.
Excellent move, I thing they make a 15k Penquin with heat pumps for almost the same money as the 13.5k units
Old 01-07-2020, 05:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With the cost, and problems (especially the reversing valve) that have been posted on the IRV2 forum, would you be better off just buying a Penguin A/C without heat pump and just use your furnace when needed?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
With the cost, and problems (especially the reversing valve) that have been posted on the IRV2 forum, would you be better off just buying a Penguin A/C without heat pump and just use your furnace when needed?
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	271620
Old 01-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Again what he said.
Same problem. Replacement was 600 bucks at local repair shop in Melbourne fl. Quality Rv
Had purchased a bunch at a good price. Dix a great job.
Just use small electric or crank propane heat on if needed
[emoji621][emoji621][emoji621][emoji106]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #14

Ok, thanks again for the input. Done deal we will go with replacing both units with straight ac. No heat pumps and will use the furnace when heat is needed which we have been doing anyway with a couple of space heaters as needed. At a savings of nearly $1k
Done deal.

Tags
compressor, roof