Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roof air condensation

When running roof AC, drops of water collect inside the coach at the base of the AC unit. These drops frequently drip to the floor. The coach has a ducted system and water does not collect at the individual air outlets; just at the base of the unit along the rear edge. Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Remove the ceiling grill and locate the bolts that hold the unit to the roof. Snug them up, maybe a half turn. Do NOT crank them down tight, as this will ruin the gasket.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

Make sure filters are clean.
Someone told me years ago to prevent condensation when it is really humid run the fan on constant high. Not on Auto or low speed. Has worked well for me.
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
When running roof AC, drops of water collect inside the coach at the base of the AC unit. These drops frequently drip to the floor. The coach has a ducted system and water does not collect at the individual air outlets; just at the base of the unit along the rear edge. Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this?

Cold air plus humidity equals water drops, so is it that or drain stopped up?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #5

Not enough insulation and as the other poster noted inadequate air flow will cause condensation in a MH or sticks and bricks.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. I've noticed the problem is worse in the front AC as opposed to the rear. Am wondering if it has anything to do with air flow/path through the unit?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Will start with the fan constant on option for now.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If it is condensation than tightening the roof mount bolts will have no effect, but it's wise to check them to make sure they are snug rather than loose.

One internal possibility is that air is leaking from the intake side to the outlet side. The intake air is warmer and more moist, so it dumps moisture on the colder outlet. Check around the divider that keeps the intake side separate from the outlet ducts.

To some extent this is "normal" if the outdoor humidity is very high and the RV is getting a lot of it inside, e.g. the entry door is opened frequently as people come & go. High humidity in the interior has to go somewhere and the a/c doesn't have a drain for condensation that happens inside at the heat exchanger.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #9

When replacing the mounting gasket on mine I found there was a gap where the hot, damp intake air could mix with the cold output, inside. I rigged a baffle out of Styrofoam to keep them apart. Solved my problem, and made the AC work better.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, roof