Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Roof Coating

Has anyone used Black Jack roof coating for EDPM rubber roof .This is sold at Lowes and has silicone .Thanks for any help
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not familiar with that, but I've always heard that you don't let anything with silicone anywhere around a rubber roof!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #3

Is it tar or urethane? tar no, but urethane is fine. they also sell QUAD at lowes. QUAD is good stuff
Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #4

What about the stuff that is advertised on tv? I forget the name but they put a screen door in the bottom of an aluminium boat and coat it. Flex seal or something like that??
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No Flex Seal on EPDM. Flex Seal is just over priced undercoating you can buy almost anywhere.
The guy in this link used Henry Tropi-cool roof coating from Home Depot his finished pictures look really good.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/henr...ng-335966.html
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #6

roof

Okay im totally confused now .i hear stay away from silicone based coating for my epdm roof ,but most coatings seem to have silicone like Henrys
Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've always heard that you don't let anything with silicone anywhere around a rubber roof!
Not true. The silicone thing is a red herring in this discussion. The silicone to avoid is silicone caulk and the reason is that silicone caulk cannot be touched up after the initial installation. Any future caulking would require that the old silicone caulk be removed. The silicone caulk itself is not harmful to the rubber or anything else - it just has an oily residue.

Silicone as an ingredient in a coating should not be a problem. You can use any product that lists EPDM compatibility in its Application section (I don't see that in the Blackjack product). One of the Henry's products would be my choice if I wasn't using an RV-specific coating. Check the label on each type for EPDM compatibility. Henry's Tropi-Cool is 100% silicone and listed for use on EPDM. You might have to use more Henry's if you ever needed to re-coat, though.

I didn't think the Quad brand had any roof coatings - they make adhesives and sealant/caulks.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

Thank You Everyone
Old 01-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Not true. The silicone thing is a red herring in this discussion. The silicone to avoid is silicone caulk and the reason is that silicone caulk cannot be touched up after the initial installation. Any future caulking would require that the old silicone caulk be removed. The silicone caulk itself is not harmful to the rubber or anything else - it just has an oily residue.

Silicone as an ingredient in a coating should not be a problem. You can use any product that lists EPDM compatibility in its Application section (I don't see that in the Blackjack product). One of the Henry's products would be my choice if I wasn't using an RV-specific coating. Check the label on each type for EPDM compatibility. Henry's Tropi-Cool is 100% silicone and listed for use on EPDM. You might have to use more Henry's if you ever needed to re-coat, though.

I didn't think the Quad brand had any roof coatings - they make adhesives and sealant/caulks.
Thanks for the correction Gary!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plymouth View Post
Has anyone used Black Jack roof coating for EDPM rubber roof .This is sold at Lowes and has silicone .Thanks for any help
Is this the product you are looking at? If it is the technical data sheet says for TPO, EPDM, and Hypolan require a special process call for instructions.

https://blackjackcoatings.com/collec...oofing-coating
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDS_BJ_5576_G17.pdf (130.0 KB, 52 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #11

I used a product called Pro Guard, it is a liquid EPDM coating, I believe the company was EPDM coatings, it's been 6+ years ago. Great product, great instructions and videos on line. Caution if you have an Alpha roof an undercoat is required. DYI 2 days, I had the Alpha roof, I traded that coach last year still looked new and never leaked, The roof before coating was 80+% black.
Hope this helps, it was much cheaper that a 5 K new roof.
HeloFlyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof