Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Roof - Fiberglass vs. Rubber

One of the points that made me decide on my Nation RV Seabreeze was the one piece fiberglass roof vs. rubber membrane. I assumed this was a superior roof construction, but I now have an issue and am not so sure.

Prior to my purchase the former owner had the roof resealed, in addition to many other things she addressed at her insistance, i.e. oil change, propane fill, brake check, etc.. Nice seller! She commented that the repair service that did the roof said that is was a good thing she had it done because whoever had done it time before used the wrong sealant, that is was not appropriate for rubber roof! (Her words to me) I said to her well it is not a rubber roof per the owners manual and my examination. Her answer, of course, was "well that was what he said"

Upon purchase I went up and examined roof and was all freshly sealed. Thought I was set for a year or so. Now I have a leak around the skylight in the shower. We were in Myrtle Beach in a torrential rain with 35-40 mph wind, in morning we noticed it was wet all around the skyligth. Visual examination of the skyroof around the skylight shows no sign of loose sealant, gaps or holes. Getting ready to take to shop to have looked at but not sure what to expect. Did notice that he skylight is two layers with screw that actually go through the dome itself to attach one to other, don't know if this is normal or prior attempt at some kind of repair.

Ideas??
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
".......... Did notice that he skylight is two layers with screw that actually go through the dome itself to attach one to other, don't know if this is normal or prior attempt at some kind of repair."

Using screws to hold down both pieces of skylight is normal.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Skylights are harder to seal correctly than other places on the roof. Since it is too easy for a leak to happen with just sealant, I use Eternabond tape first then apply sealant on top. For the eternabond or sealant to properly bond the area must be cleaned carefully, all prior sealant gone period. Once sealed with Eternabond correctly then no worries about a leak. That stuff is nearly impossible to remove once applied. After a leak in our old motorhome around the skylight, I had water in the ceiling that I wasn't aware of and the result was that I had mold rear its ugly face. All I have to worry about now is the skylight itself cracking which is easy to see.

I had a 5th wheel with a rubber roof. I would never have a rubber roof again, not ever. Not only do they stain easily but they also require special products to maintain. If you don't keep the maintenance done the rubber will develope cracks, small hairline cracks at first which over time will deepen into real trouble. I just about killed myself trying to take care of that rubber roof and it still looked awful all the time.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
X-2 on the Eternabond product! As pointed out it is permanent.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof