Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
KAS

Question Roof leaks even after sealing

We have a roof on our RV that has an aluminum plate over it, and we had a leak, so hubby has been removing and resealing everything that is on the roof. Now we have a leak that is really baffling us. Like WHERE is it coming from?

Hubby will eventually find it, the man is relentless. But I am asking for suggestions of obscurities that we, being new to what we are doing, might miss.

Don;t suggest taking it to a repair place-- either he will do it himself or it will leak forever.

I want to redo my interior! I keep collecting ideas. But until the roof issue is fixed, I am having to wait.

On the up side, I get to rip out the carpet and do tile!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Where is your leak on the roof?
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Water leaks can start anywhere, it isn't always right where you see the water. There is a method where you pressurize the interior of the coach and then squirt a soapy liquid on the outside watching for bubbles. This company Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles does it but you can go to the website and check the method and then do it yourself. Some people use a blower motor and others have used a leaf blower to supply the prssure as it doesn't take much at all.

Sounds like hubby is a DYI guy so he will be able to come up with a pressure system.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

You can't overlook or assume any seam is good until you inspect it thouroughly & up close.
Assuming hubby has done that all around, the air conditioner is probably a type that uses foam strips around its base like a doughnut, and then long screws between the interior metal & the AC unit to compress the foam doughnut to achieve a seal. Could be bad foam placement or insufficient compression.
Failing that, this time of year it is not unusual to have condensation is sufficient amounts that each morning you think the roof is leaking. I have that off the front cap if we steam up the interior w/showers & a.m. cooking and its cold enough- drips all over the dash after we open the front drapes till the interior is fully heated including front cap area.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

Have a pressure test done at a rv dealer. Ther is the only way you will know for sure you have found and fixed the leaks.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

I had (hopefully had) a stubborn one. I probed the suspected area from the roof and got some moisture from under the sealant! Ah-ha! Cleaned it out real good and re-sealed. Did the garden hose test but time will tell, hard to duplicate rain. We all feel your frustration!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

Could be draining water from your a/c. Pull a/c and check seal and drain. A bad seal will leak on to roof frame and run to the lowest point that may not be near the a/c. JSMHO
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

don't forget to check the clearance lights for cracks and sealing.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Have a pressure test done at a rv dealer. Ther is the only way you will know for sure you have found and fixed the leaks.
Park hosts here where I'm parked this week are friends, We have been helping them with a few technical issues.. They had a leak. A relative and I tried but alas, no joy.. They went to Camping world here in SC (Greenville I think).

They used the Sealtec system.. (Pressurise the coach and give it a bubble bath.

Leaks all gone now.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More information on actuall type of coach and where the water is at will help with the diagnosis.
I just piaid Camping World $1600 to reseal and replace a cracked shower skylight on mine. I would have done it myself but being here in the great NW during the rainy season without a place that is dry to park it under just doesn't work well for removing all of the chaulking and opening a huge hole in the roof
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #11

Not sure where you live but, what ever happens do not take your RV to General RV, Mt. Clemens, MI. for leak repair. Mine was there twice for the same leak and hundreds of dollars later ended up repairing myself. They did the pressurization leak test both times and said the leak was repaired. All bogus, one day after picking it up it rained and the exact spot was still leaking. My weather pro awning is mounted on the roof, had to take it completely off and put a new gasket on and reseal everything now, no more leak. One would think a Rv dealer that big would stand behind their work, not so. I learned my lesson and do everything myself now. So, keep looking you will eventually find and repair the leak.
Rick
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #12

I have a leak when it rains and the water only shows up on the carpet and wall in the lower corner next to the emergency brake
Old 04-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A DIY way of creating positive pressure inside your RV is to simply leave one person inside and close the slide(s). With a pre-soap rinse, bubbles will emerge when slide closes. If your RV has no slides, I suppose you could rent a bunch of scuba tanks and release the air.

Best way is finding a RV facility that has this:

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
RMS

Water Leak

I also chased leaks for years---did the pressure test thing--still leaked. Unit even went back to Elkhart(or wherever Monaco was building at the time) and when the driver took the coach through the wash in Wildwood, the thing leaked. Wildwood(Monaco at the time) tried and tried but never did find the leak

Best try to find it yourself unless you've got deep pockets.

I eventually found my leaks were caused by the awning rail at the curvature of the roof. The awning puts pressure, when extended, on that location.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, roof