Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Roof recoat questions

Looking to recoat the roof of my 1999 Fleetwood pace Arrow this spring .

I’ve looked for different products and such but with slopped edges or sides on this Rv I know self leveling products will not work.

Was wondering what product is best recommended for this roof and also there is some peeling old roof coat on there , what can I use to get that off ?? Would a soft bristle brush be best or is there another coating/stripper that I could use ??

Thanks for your suggestions .

( there isn’t any leaks and the inside is dry, I do own a pressure washer also so was going to do a light overspray as I seen suggested before )

My biggest Iffy thing right now is I do notice their is a bubble in on location that is small that I Hope is not the vinyl undercoating on the RV . If so , how can I fix this??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7D1D015-DF9C-4CAA-BF86-AC1208BEB2B2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	238165  
Aliaka1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #2

Is it a hard roof? If so I think you only want to seal around the openings and penatrations not coat the entire roof
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

It does feel pretty hard for a roof surface but does appear to have been coated previously with the way some areas or flaking off .

It is listed in the sales manual that it has a rubber roof coating applied at the factory.

For some odd reason it feels like vinyl but this is my first RV so I have little knowledge as to what I’m feeling or looking at .

Thanks for your reply’s
Aliaka1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You have a rubber roof, I am no expert by I was in the construction business for a while and have found Cool Seal Elastomeric to be a good choice for coating rubber roofs. If you look at the labels on Cool Seal and the expensive stuff you can get from RV places you will find the same products at the same percentages in the coating. You might have to get a copy of the MSDS sheet for each product. I have been RVing for a long time and have used this product many times to good effect. If you have bubbles I would inspect to make sure you don't have a substrate failure which needs to be fixed before recoating. Post how to do that and you will get good answers. Clean the roof good
15% solution of bleach with water and good scrub brush will do the job. Make sure your seams laps are good. I use a 1 inch nap roller and give two coats. Lasst for 4 or 5 years in the sun or forever if stored out of the elements. You will find the product and most building supply places.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

Looks like an EDPM rubber roof and the white outer coating is almost gone. Dicor makes products for renewing the white coating with new EDPM rubber coating. The cleaner/activator softens the surface of the rubber base enhancing the bond of the EDPM top coat. One thing to be warned about is as the activator softens the base rubber, it can wrinkle and bubble and its easy to panic thinking the roof is ruined. As the new coating cures, the roof returns to normal and the wrinkles and bubbles fade away.

https://dicorproducts.com/product-ca...tore-products/

I restored a roof on my previous coach and it wasn't very hard or that costly especially when compared to the price of replacing the rubber roof.

A bubble is difficult to diagnose. How large is it? Where is it located? Could be the adhesive has let go, or a failure of the wood underneath. If the bubble is small and the surface underneath feels sound, I'd just keep an eye on it to see if it grows.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Are you concerned about the coating product running on the rounded, semi-vertical edges, and drizzling down onto the sidewalls? I don't think that will be a problem - the coatings I've seen are thick goop and not at all runny.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof