Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #1

Roof Repair

How do I go about identifying where the roof of my Class A needs to be repaired (there are several leaks on the ceiling inside) and how and what product should I use?

Thanks!
MNTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 04:30 AM   #2

You go up on the roof an inspect all seams and seals.
And then remove all old sealant, clean and use Dicor or Eternabond or both to fix.
If the rig is older and sealant looks bad / cracked in lots of places, be prepared for a LOT of work to remove all sealant and repair. Typically 32 - 40 hours of hard work. I have a recent thread asking folks how long it took them to address.

If you have "several" leaks...are you saying places where you see water coming out of the ceiling? If so, take a speaker out and see just how much water is in there. If it's moist...you have a much bigger problem as there isn't a way to dry out the ceiling without pulling it down which is a LOT of work.

The above depends a LOT on the type of construction of the roof.

You may only have one external leak that is getting water into the ceiling and depending on the slope, may be leaving the ceiling in several places. Or, you might truly have several leaks if the RV hasn't been maintained.

Either way, sounds like you have a problem on your hands that you should not delay in addressing. Start with the roof inspection to see what is causing the problem. Fix that, and then figure out how much damage has been done to the ceiling / interior.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
SO hard,, you can go up and start looking close for cracks and loose sealant, soft spots..
Idenify, mark and or remember, then I would wash it , pressure etcs, I KNOW it leaks, ) but get a clean surface, blow off any more loose stuff,
Let Dry
then get a good self lever dicore etc,,
If it is a rubber or skined roof, then get a sealer made for it, and then reseal the enter top once you get a clear picture of issues..

Years back I saw a video of a guy, using a smoke machine and pressure inside RV, then watching outside for the leaks,, it was leaking all over.. window, compartment but also on roof seams etc.. He was insaide a pole barn with lighting so you can see it.. that was extreme but interesting..

Personally I have one small wet spot that happens rarely on my class C.. My roof is sealled 110%,, I have traced it to the antenna , it must run down wire and drop onto the divider and down.. Theory.. becasue I poured some heavy lube into the turret and worm drive where seal is,,, It rained since and we are dry.. that is the only penetraions within 7 feet of the leak
I hope,, difficult chore.. leaks...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm a roofer and I put a torch on membrane on my Class A that has a fibreglass shell. The 2 materials were made for each other. The torch on adheres so well it will never come off and it will never leak. If you have to get it reroofed it's a long lasting option. I even did some body work repairs with it.I can't believe how good it sticks
fasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, roof