Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 10:20 PM   #1

Roof Repair

I have a Gulfstream Voyager 2004 38 feet long. Recently noticed water leaks through the front driver and passenger side and also in the back. Inspections show old caulks are cracked and so I decided to remove them. With great difficulties I was able to remove the caulking by scrapping using caulk remover tool and plastic scrapper. Now I have to re caulk. I would greatly appreciate if you share your expertise with me for the following questions:
1. Do I have to remove all caulks including traces of old one?
2. Do I have to use a primer before application of new caulk ? If so what is the name?
3. What will be the best cleaner to clean the surfaces including remnant of old caulks?
4. What is the best caulking material for use on Aluminum one side of the shim and wood cover with plastic sheet (not sure) on the other side (main roof)?

Many Thanks

Bisuddha
bisuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 10:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
If you have a rubber roof, then use decor self leveling on the roof. You don’t need to remove the old caulk, just clean it, either soap and water or mineral spirits but don’t get it on the roof itself.

Edit. I see you have a fiberglass roof. So, I’m not sure if dicor, or self leveling silicone is appropriate. You may be ok with the dicor.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:51 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisuddha View Post
I would greatly appreciate if you share your expertise with me for the following questions:
1. Do I have to remove all caulks including traces of old one?
2. Do I have to use a primer before application of new caulk ? If so what is the name?
3. What will be the best cleaner to clean the surfaces including remnant of old caulks?
4. What is the best caulking material for use on Aluminum one side of the shim and wood cover with plastic sheet (not sure) on the other side (main roof)?
1. Try and remove as much as practical without damaging the roofing material. A heat gun will help to soften the old caulk and make it easier to scrape off. Be careful using chemicals or strong cleaners to get that last bit of sealant as you could damage roofing material.

2. The need for a primer will be dependent of the product you will be using to reseal the roof. I haven't experienced the need for a primer as yet.

3. The best cleaners will depend on the surface material and the type of sealant you are trying to remove. Acetone will pretty much loosen and dissolve most sealants but could also damage the paint, plastics and synthetic rubber roofs. Mineral spirts are less aggressive but again what might be best will depend on the base material. Soap and water is always best but the results might not be what you are looking for.

4. What to use to reseal? Do you want to do this all over again in couple of years? That's where you will be with the stuff that starts with D and ends with icor. It's not if it will fail and leak but when. 10 years ago I removed every trace of caulk and sealed reseal 95% of my roof with EternaBond tape and the areas I couldn't tape (round tank vents) I used EternaCaulk. Both the tape and the sealant have been problem free and the coach is out in the weather 24/7/365.

RV Leak Repair Tapes & Sealants | EternaBond

If you have the budget for it - https://rvroof.com/

Good luck with the project.

Tags
air, repair, roof