RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Roof Structure Any Opinions?

Hi All. Need an opinion or two as to what I’ll find under this soft spot on the passenger side of the roof of our 2001 Triple E 34ft Embassy MH. The spot is about 15” across. No leaks below. Looks like ? an access point for the old sat dish?
We are ready to do a huge EPDM patch. We are assuming that this soft spot is part of a layered structure. Just don’t have the courage to cut into there and make a huge mistake we can’t fix. There are a couple of RV repair shops nearby “just in case” but we’d rather fix it ourselves, save and learn. Have already reviewed about a dozen u-tube videos on how to do repairs, but nothing that shows what the structure is like beneath the EPDM. Just part of a waffle? Any links to videos or info that might show us the sub-structure?
The Triple E web site and the owners manual have no info for me.

So does anyone have any leads?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F9A636E-6030-4C1A-A871-EC88DE1F8ADF.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	197767   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2500596-4A52-42F7-971A-E59AB2EA5137.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	197768  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

What are the wires for? Old Sat hook up? It's possible that there has been seepage into the ceiling area, thus the soft spot. You need to investigate further, but you should be able to repair any damage you may find in there. Possible wood that needs to be replaced.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

Almost all RV roofs have plywood or OSB under the rubber. It likely got wet and needs replacing. There is no other fix that I am aware of to fix soft wood other than replace it. Plus you are likely to have mildew under there as well.

Look at this video to get an idea of what I mean

Your other option is to make sure it's sealed and let it soft.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #4

Just a guess here as we don't know what type of material is under the roof skin. However, if it was OSB, I would think you'd have a bulge or bubble under the skin as the wood chips will expand and do not shrink back once dry. Plywood tends to expand less and dry faster with less distortion. Just a thought.

As far as repair, your decision will be based on what you find under the roof skin. Given that the area is relatively small, you may be able to repair it to structural soundness by using marine grade epoxy-based wood restoration products. You soak the soft wood with the epoxy which hardens and makes the material waterproof and extremely solid. It is used on boats with dry-rot to make a solid base for a filler repair. You probably wouldn't need a filler, only strengthen the underlying material.

Still, you will need to remove the roof skin to address this. Let us know what you find.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Thank you. Another related question.

Thanks to those who replied. I now have the info I need - an idea of what I should expect to see when I peel back the roof’s skin. I know I’ll be replacing the osb or plywood and that appears to be straightforward.
It’s just a question of whether I want to replace the 2-3 feet of skin so as to eliminate the mess of dicor which did not keep out the leak, or just do a better job of piling on more dicor. My gut tells me to replace the 2-3 feet and do a really good job sealing the new seam the width of the rig.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #6

I did a roof repair last year aprox. 5 feet long the width of my travel trailer, l put on a new piece if TPO roofing ,glued it down after my repair and used Eternabond to seal the joint. My roof structure is a composite roof ( sandwich) luan /Styrofoam/ luan glued together.
cardwellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Hi
Thanks for the info. I have a long 6” wide roll of eternabond tape and that’s what I was going to use for a sealer between the existing roof membrane and the newly cut 3’ replacement piece.
Or, option #2 - would one cut a 14” square around the existing mess and just replace the 14” square with EPDM, then seal the square with eternabond and finish with dicor caulking?

1 long seam versus 4 x 14” seams?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #8

I would start off with option # 2 , to access the problem and to what type of underpayment you have and make a decision of how to repair it.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

If you are able to save your EPDM you can reuse it, but you can buy small pieces of roofing membrane, l did with my roof repair.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #10

Name:	849714cd03011cc5477bfb3685bd7703.0~01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	197983
Old 04-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #11

This is after l completed my roof repair, l removed the skylight. Just make sure you have a dry place to work on your RV , l purchased a good tarp 20 x 40 and covered my travel trailer, it took me 2 months, l had to use construction adhesive because there are not any trusses to screw into on my style roof, also the weather to. Just don't get in a hurry, think it through, take your time.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #12

Name:	c88576078e95f696fbf57fb10726e925.0.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	197984

Tags
roof