Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roof top A/C drainage

Woke up with this idea in my head the other day. For us folks with A/C units that simply drain the condensation water on to the roof, how about connecting some PEX tubing to the A/C drain (maybe a problem, haven't checked this) and running it to the nearest plumbing vent? Has anybody done this or thought about it? Possible problems? Would be nice to keep the side of the coach dry and clean!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
So you want to introduce the smells from your vents into the RV????
Even with a trap (low spot in the line) it might work in the summer but in the winter when the trap dries out... the smell is back.

Monaco did run drain hoses to under the MH.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Uh uh. A hose from the condensation drain to the vent will not provide a path for odors to get into the coach. The condenser coils are physically separated form the evaporator coils (where the air is chilled) and are completely external; and all air conditioner systems only recirculate the air inside the cabins -- in through the air filter, out the registers. The downside will be that all the condensation will go into either the gray water or black water tanks.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
So you want to introduce the smells from your vents into the RV????
Even with a trap (low spot in the line) it might work in the summer but in the winter when the trap dries out... the smell is back.

Monaco did run drain hoses to under the MH.
Thanks for the response. Never thought of the gasses being vented into the coach. I would think a natural trap would form when running the A/C like you said. When the A/C is not in use, I would think the gasses would escape to atmosphere with out the fan on to suck them into the coach. Not sure though. Wouldn't be hard to install a ball valve to prevent that.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hermit View Post
Uh uh. A hose from the condensation drain to the vent will not provide a path for odors to get into the coach. The condenser coils are physically separated form the evaporator coils (where the air is chilled) and are completely external; and all air conditioner systems only recirculate the air inside the cabins -- in through the air filter, out the registers. The downside will be that all the condensation will go into either the gray water or black water tanks.
Didn’t know the “Condenser coils” which are hot, have the pan for catching the condensation water. Thought the cold “evaporation coils” were the ones that created condensation water. Learn something “new” every day.

PS: when are you going to post your Cat scale weights.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
Thanks for the response. Never thought of the gasses being vented into the coach. I would think a natural trap would form when running the A/C like you said. When the A/C is not in use, I would think the gasses would escape to atmosphere with out the fan on to suck them into the coach. Not sure though. Wouldn't be hard to install a ball valve to prevent that.
No outside air vent in a RV roof AC unit... all the air is recirculated.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Dom

Theoretically Ivylog is right. The condensate originates on the evaporator and flows to the condenser side. If water can flow, when there is no water, smelly gasses could go the other way.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
Dom

Jzack, why not try it? Worst case, is you have to disconnect hoses. Might try that myself
Old 05-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
May be a good way to quietly fill your holding tanks...

I just train the AC water to go where I want.. EZE RV gutter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip Rail2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	286744  
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #10

I would definitely not want to fill my holding tanks with condensate. But maybe using the PEX line to divert it somewhere you'd rather have it makes sense.
If you are boondocking it could be a source of additional toilet flushing water.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
Dom

[QUOTE=Hooligan;5275718]May be a good way to quietly fill your holding tanks...

Once again, try it if it fills tank, then don't do it anymore. I doubt it would make much difference on holding tanks. Once a/c has been running for a while, it dehydrates coach, and only when you introduce fresh air, ie open a window do you get more moisture
Old 05-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Jzack, why not try it? Worst case, is you have to disconnect hoses. Might try that myself
Thanks, I think I will. At least I'll take a serious look at it when I go up to blow out the coils this spring. If the negatives can be easily mitigated, the positives should make this worth it.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I would definitely not want to fill my holding tanks with condensate. But maybe using the PEX line to divert it somewhere you'd rather have it makes sense.
If you are boondocking it could be a source of additional toilet flushing water.
You mean divert it into a water tank? Not for drinking of course, but very interesting for boondocking purposes.....
Old 05-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
You mean divert it into a water tank? Not for drinking of course, but very interesting for boondocking purposes.....
Don't know about you, but I'm not running my a/c where there is no power

Tags
roof